H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

lobo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok...I've come across an annoying vibration.

It occurs above 65mph and sounds like it might be influenced by wind direction. I've found that it can be worse going the same speed but in a different direction on the road.

I'm unsure of the location - at first I beleived it was coming from the dash (maybe a bass/speaker issue) but soon discoved that it occured with the radio off.

I've tried pressing down on the dash while traveling above 65 when the vibration can be heard and this does not change the noise level.

I also checked to see if it was the black hood vent, as well as the hardware piece that houses the washer fluid sprayers - neither of these seemed to be the cause.

There doesn't seen to be much else except the felt liner in the engine compartment that may be the cause (I rather doubt it's the liner).

Has anyone experienced this vibration (it can be rather loud)? Any suggestions? I'd rather not have to take it in so soon to get it pulled apart for the diagnosis.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ok...I've come across an annoying vibration.

It occurs above 65mph and sounds like it might be influenced by wind direction. I've found that it can be worse going the same speed but in a different direction on the road.

I'm unsure of the location - at first I beleived it was coming from the dash (maybe a bass/speaker issue) but soon discoved that it occured with the radio off.

I've tried pressing down on the dash while traveling above 65 when the vibration can be heard and this does not change the noise level.

I also checked to see if it was the black hood vent, as well as the hardware piece that houses the washer fluid sprayers - neither of these seemed to be the cause.

There doesn't seen to be much else except the felt liner in the engine compartment that may be the cause (I rather doubt it's the liner).

Has anyone experienced this vibration (it can be rather loud)? Any suggestions? I'd rather not have to take it in so soon to get it pulled apart for the diagnosis.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:17 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

I had a similar one, check the clear lens on the guages. I did and it stopped.

Let us know
Old 08-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

ok - it's not the plastic covering over the guages.

I'm positive it's coming from the outside. To be more specific it can be felt in the windshield which leads me back to the piece of hardware that houses the windshield wiper fluid sprayers.

The greatest noise comes from the passenger side just to the right of the windshield wiper pivot point.

That's about where I'm at. I do know that the vibration as well as the noise increases (gets louder) as I increase my speed (up to 80mph).

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

Okthenbye is off the scale

On some of the plastic roof rails My H3 was missing some clips and was rattling. I thought it was from the door but the dealer was able to track it to the plastic rails on the roof. Check into that...
Old 08-09-2005, 05:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

It's not the roof rails either. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Didn't have a chance to trouble shoot today - hope to get back on it tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:30 PM

CLGeorge3944 is off the scale

Do you have the roof marker lights? I added them tonight and got the wind between 60-70 MPH. I found in other posts that others are having the same problem after they got the marker lights also.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

I do have the roof marker lights. I'll be sure to check them, however I feel really sure that the vibration is coming from air flow up through the seal between the hardware housing the windshield wiper fluid sprayers and the windshield.

Anyway - still testing to rule that out. Hope to know more soon - I'll keep it posted.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:31 PM

CLGeorge3944 is off the scale

Well this morning I ran a strip of black electrical tape along the bottom edge of the foor marker lights where it meets the windshield. I then drove down the highway at various speed where I noticed the noise. It seems like the tape fixed the problem 100%. No more noise! The best part is that if you take your time installing the tape you cant even see it, it blends right in! Give it a try and I bet you wont get your noise anymore either!
Old 08-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CLGeorge3944:
Well this morning I ran a strip of black electrical tape along the bottom edge of the foor marker lights where it meets the windshield. I then drove down the highway at various speed where I noticed the noise. It seems like the tape fixed the problem 100%. No more noise! The best part is that if you take your time installing the tape you cant even see it, it blends right in! Give it a try and I bet you wont get your noise anymore either! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George what you need is edge molding for that gap thats what i used there are pictures here.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...1/m/5011073531
Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

It is my roof marker lights (Thanks!). Is it possible to tighten them?

What do you think the dealership would do to fix the problem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CLGeorge3944:
Do you have the roof marker lights? I added them tonight and got the wind between 60-70 MPH. I found in other posts that others are having the same problem after they got the marker lights also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

Would you post some pics....Thanks

Well this morning I ran a strip of black electrical tape along the bottom edge of the foor marker lights where it meets the windshield. I then drove down the highway at various speed where I noticed the noise. It seems like the tape fixed the problem 100%. No more noise! The best part is that if you take your time installing the tape you cant even see it, it blends right in! Give it a try and I bet you wont get your noise anymore either! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 AM

H3Lady is off the scale

LOBO

iF YOU CALL Hummer of Novi Michigan they can tell you what to do. They did a super job on mine a month ago and I have been on the HWY several times no noise.

There are a few things to do to correct this. I did not use door edge guard to fix it either.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks H3Lady. Should I ask for someone in particular at Hummer of Novi Michigan?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:58 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

Justin I think can help you.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Lobo, where in Texas are you? Who is your dealer?
The way a dealer would probably fix it, is to put a piece of double sided tape underneath the roof lamp panel, just under the front part of it. A peice of tape on the outside will fix it also, but this way you can't see it.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

Double sided tape makes since. Because I would rather not see it. Hewlett Hummer in Georgetown...haven't called them yet...thought I'd gather some information first.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3Lady:
Justin I think can help you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

Well officially my vibration was caused by the roof marker lights.

With suggestions from H3Lady and Hummer of Novi, I popped the plastic caps and unscrewed the screws to find that my weather stripping was to thin (not doing it's job).

With new weather stripping from Home Depot 1/4 inch thick by 3/4 inch wide single sided adhesive (foam - easy to compress) the vibration is gone.

I placed the new weather stripping about 1/4 in back from the front edge of the roof marker lights on the underside (adhesive upward), tightened the screws back down and I was done.

At each end the original weather stripping has double sided adhesive for roughly 6 inches. I peeled mine off but ended up leaving the center area and applied the new weather stipping over the top of the old.

A test drive later and no vibration - and I didn't have to leave it at the dealership all day.... : )

Actually really easy and it doesn't look any different from before - the screws are torx though size 25.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33 AM

H3Lady is off the scale

WOW lobo

I am so glad you did it...

this is the fix GM is doing, just adding this tape to the installation.

You can also use this product call LEXAL. It is a clear sealant/adhesive under the front lip about 1/4" from the front. Squeeze a line of this stuff and re-attach it. use masking tape to apply pressure to the front for a tight fit, and clean the ooze off with mineral spirits. It cures clear in 24 hours and is 100% removeal if needed in the future.