H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM

HummerBird is off the scale

This is driving me nuts! But the dealer tells me this is normal?? I'm getting vibration and noise from the transmission/transfer case. To the point if the radio is off, you can't hear yourself think at 60 to 70 MPH. They are telling me this is normal and I'm probably hearing tire noise?? Why do dealers always think you're a moron. Has anyone out there had this problem and/or resolution. I'm pretty sure the H3's I test drove did not have this problem...1000 miles on it.....
Old 11-29-2005, 03:15 PM

This is driving me nuts! But the dealer tells me this is normal?? I'm getting vibration and noise from the transmission/transfer case. To the point if the radio is off, you can't hear yourself think at 60 to 70 MPH. They are telling me this is normal and I'm probably hearing tire noise?? Why do dealers always think you're a moron. Has anyone out there had this problem and/or resolution. I'm pretty sure the H3's I test drove did not have this problem...1000 miles on it.....
Old 11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

Mike B is off the scale

Something must be wrong, because my H3 is very quiet even going 80+ mph on the highway (2,800 miles on it). Only time it should be a little noisy is in 4 wheel low.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

You better get that fixed. You don't want to be stranded in the desert somewhere.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerBird:
This is driving me nuts! But the dealer tells me this is normal?? I'm getting vibration and noise from the transmission/transfer case. To the point if the radio is off, you can't hear yourself think at 60 to 70 MPH. They are telling me this is normal and I'm probably hearing tire noise?? Why do dealers always think you're a moron. Has anyone out there had this problem and/or resolution. I'm pretty sure the H3's I test drove did not have this problem...1000 miles on it..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, not normal. Only in 4 lo lock, even 4 hi lock is noisy. Tell him we said to fix it

What dealer are you talking to?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:38 PM

GA Humvee 3 is off the scale

Did not get the vibration on mine (1200 miles) but did get the noise on the left front side when driving over 45 miles on the highway. my "4wd Service" and "stabilitrak service" lights came on so i took decided to take it to the dealer. They told me i'll need to replace the tranfer case now. You better take yours in ASAP too.

I'm driving the loaner H3 from the dealer and I'm noticing that mine had a lot less power than the loaner vehicle. Definitely something wrong.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

Okthenbye is off the scale

It could be the differential. Mine was humming like crazy at freeway speeds. It had a bad pinion and bearing. They replaced the diff and it's been great since.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:00 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is quite too. If you have an older model, as Okethenbye mentioned, they had some problems with early running rear diffs. Eaton left lapping compound on the gearset and this cause excessive wear.
What's the last eight of your VIN number?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Elcova Rookie

Vitaliy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Mine is quite too. If you have an older model, as Okethenbye mentioned, they had some problems with early running rear diffs. Eaton left lapping compound on the gearset and this cause excessive wear.
What's the last eight of your VIN number? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live in the Ukraine, and I bought one of the first H3s. Last eight digits of my VIN # are 68108853. So far I have around 1800 miles on the clock and no noise. But still I am worried a bit, as I doubt that it would be possible to get any warranty repairs done. Could you please tell me if there's any service bulletin or recall alert regarding my vehicle.
Thanks,
Vitaliy.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vitaliy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
What's the last eight of your VIN number? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live in the Ukraine, and I bought one of the first H3s. Last eight digits of my VIN # are 68108853. So far I have around 1800 miles on the clock and no noise. But still I am worried a bit, as I doubt that it would be possible to get any warranty repairs done. Could you please tell me if there's any service bulletin or recall alert regarding my vehicle.
Thanks,
Vitaliy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crawl under the vehicle and remove the transfer case fluid fill plug. If the fluid is not to the bottom of the fill hole, add fluid (DEXRON III trans fluid) until it starts to flow out of the hole.
Replace the plug to 25 N.m.
Disconnect the electrical connector to the vehicle speed sensor toward the top of the transfer case.
Remove the speed sensor from the transfer case.
Add 250 ml (exactly 250 ml) of DEXRON III trans fluid through the speed sensor hole in the case.
Install the speed sensor, tighten to 17 N.m.
All done...

This process is due to the fact that the fill procedure for the case was revised after the first 5000 or so H3s were shipped.
Dealer is supposed to do this procedure before it is sold, and to put an owner's manual update sheet in the owner's manual package.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Elcova Rookie

Vitaliy is off the scale

Crawl under the vehicle and remove the transfer case fluid fill plug. If the fluid is not to the bottom of the fill hole, add fluid (DEXRON III trans fluid) until it starts to flow out of the hole.
Replace the plug to 25 N.m.
Disconnect the electrical connector to the vehicle speed sensor toward the top of the transfer case.
Remove the speed sensor from the transfer case.
Add 250 ml (exactly 250 ml) of DEXRON III trans fluid through the speed sensor hole in the case.
Install the speed sensor, tighten to 17 N.m.
All done...

This process is due to the fact that the fill procedure for the case was revised after the first 5000 or so H3s were shipped.
Dealer is supposed to do this procedure before it is sold, and to put an owner's manual update sheet in the owner's manual package.[/quote]
Thanks a lot,
I will do that this Monday.
Vitaliy.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:46 PM

OK...it's in the shop and I will have to wait for a phone call on what the hell the deal is. I don't have the upmost confidence in this dealer. Although I really don't have much of a choice in the matter. Hummer dealers are scarce in this part of the Bay Area. Thanks for the replies all.....