H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 AM

imruninl8 is off the scale

OK...I have a new H3 and am pretty disappointed with the performance and cheesy engine sound. I'm shopping for a performance exhaust and other items that may help with the muscle and tone. I've seen items that I would like help on:
Exhaust Systems....GM/Zoomer/SMA...which one is the best?
Throttle Body Spacer...Does this thing really add any value?
SMA Cold Air Breather...I've seen other brands as well..which one will work the best?
Any assistance will be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:43 AM

OK...I have a new H3 and am pretty disappointed with the performance and cheesy engine sound. I'm shopping for a performance exhaust and other items that may help with the muscle and tone. I've seen items that I would like help on:
Exhaust Systems....GM/Zoomer/SMA...which one is the best?
Throttle Body Spacer...Does this thing really add any value?
SMA Cold Air Breather...I've seen other brands as well..which one will work the best?
Any assistance will be appreciated.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

Exhaust systems are based on personal taste.I have the SMA on mine and am really happy with it.There are 2 factors to keep in mind outside noise and inside noise.I would stay away from flowmaster to me its to loud inside.Borla and Magnaflow seem to be the 2 front runners.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:27 PM

Thanks. Any experience with the Zoomer exhaust? I'm just looking for a good quality sound and boost in HP. What about other performance items such as the SMA air breather?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:10 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK...I have a new H3 and am pretty disappointed with the performance and cheesy engine sound. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you not drive the truck before you bought it?
I recently installed the Flowmaster delta 50, as others have done. The sound is better although I had to go back and have resonators installed because it was too loud for me. The gas mileage has increased but although it sounds great, I don't really feel more power. I don't step on it too hard though so it's hard to know. I'd say, for 350 bucks it's worth it.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info...seems that I"m starting to narrow it down. All the ads are claiming 15HP or better performance increase on the exhaust change, and another 14 or so for the air filter change. Right now, I'm guessing that the Zoomer or SMA's may be the best choice for me, as I'm not looking to get a loud exhaust, but something with some tone to get rid of that Toyota feel that the truck engine currently has.
I did drive it before I bought it, but not at 80 MPH...where you can really hear the engine's tone (or lack thereof), and feel the loss of edge in performance that comes at that speed. Thanks again...
Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

CorvetteOJ is off the scale

Hey guys, I put the GHL system on mine and it has a terrible resonance at 2000rpm, almost unbearable to the human ear. They are going to send me a new system to see if it is better. If not I will return it and start over. I am considering the Corsas. Have any of you experienced any resonance with the other systems? I was totally shocked at the loudness and resonance of the GHL system.

Looking for advice and counsel,

OJ
http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines...lery.ten?id=45
03 50th Anniversary Vette
Old 01-31-2006, 01:07 PM

Grandman is off the scale

Im guessing you dont care about this factor but . the cost of exhaust systems , and or air cleaner systems will never be recooped in gas savings . It is an I 5 , it is what it is .

A V8 sounds nice , a big block V 8 has a great rumble and the I 5 sounds like a bee buzzing because it is
Old 01-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

FJD is an unknown quantity at this point

OJ,

My $.02....

I put the SMA exhaust on mine and now have almost unbearable cabin noise. Outside it doesn't sound too bad but inside it is way LOUD!!
I think I'm going to look into adding resonators if it will help.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

another couple of pennies. yeah, i'll get the intake and exhaust parts someday because i want to connect this and disconnect that for the fun of it. as a mech engineering prof friend said: look closely at the data (dynaflow charts available on this forum). do you thing gm would not have put these parts in if they really performed as advertised so they could sell more cars (because they are relatively cheap).these things only increase hp and such under test conditions i.e. at ~3000 rpm. if you got an auto trans, you won't be driving at that rpm much in "drive". (sorry about the no-caps, too tired up all night with a sick pt.)
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed
Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

anybody look into the Magnaflow system its only $535 and has resonator built in.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Hummer Professional

ETD is an unknown quantity at this point

Been visiting the site every now & then. Still no real data or photo: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=Trucks&id=906
H3Bas'r: Ready-Lift Levelled Superior Blue (debadged), Sun roof, Tinted, Mud mats, Wakizashi, front Husky flaps, Manik rocker bars, UCS, Tom Tom GPS for Treo, SuperSwampers Radial TSL, Rear Eaton Locker, PCMforless'd... but, alas, not waterproofed