H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

I am going to the dealer on Thursday to have them look at marker lights.I was told by another Hummer Mechanic that the screws they use are not tighting down enough.Will keep you all informed.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:04 AM
Hummer Expert

I am going to the dealer on Thursday to have them look at marker lights.I was told by another Hummer Mechanic that the screws they use are not tighting down enough.Will keep you all informed.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:40 AM

boulderhummer is off the scale

Please do First Hummer...My expected delervery date is 8-14 and I got the marker lights aswell. Jersey Guy bought from the same dealership and has noise also. He took it back and they told him they are installed correctly and to check back to see if Hummer creats a remeady..Guess we'll see what happens. For the price, i think these lights should not make noise...

boulder, lux, chrome pack and wheels, trailer
Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM

Georgemarc is off the scale

I had the marker lights installed by the dealer two weeks ago and have no noise problem. I agree, for the price, there should be no problem.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:27 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

Just had my marker lights replaced yesterday at the dealer. My dealer has a fix for it.

First the wiring haress inside need to be taped to the using, not dangling, this is cause of most of the noise.

Yes, one of the problems is the screws are bottoming out and do not tighten enought. They used different shorter screws and 3m tape on the marker. NO NOISE NOW...

Before on the HWY, it drove me nuts.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 PM

crop000s is off the scale

What type noise? Just more wind noise or does it whisle?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:24 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

you name it howl, rattle...
Old 08-03-2005, 02:54 PM

H3Infrmr is off the scale

I seen at Lynch Hummer how the Roof Lights are installed. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT getting Marker Lights or Roof Fog Lights. They were drilling holes in the roof free handed and actually putting dents in the roof. The guy also drilled into the wiring of the mirror because as he was pulling the drill out of the hole, the wiring was caught. NOT GOOD.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:15 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

what are they supposed to use a drill press or something?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 PM

H3 Lady, what the name of your dealership and state. I"m gonna have my dealership here in PA to call yours and ask how to do it then!!! cause they obviously don't know what there doing.
thanks
bret
Old 08-03-2005, 04:58 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

Hummer of Novi in Michigan. Justin helped us
Old 08-03-2005, 07:13 PM

thanks H3, I will make sure they do it right.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:30 PM

Jersey Guy is off the scale

You know my deal Boulder let me know what they say. If I visit before you get your truck then I'll let you know how they fixed it bottom line they must fix this noise is driving me nuts also
Old 08-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Guy:
You know my deal Boulder let me know what they say. If I visit before you get your truck then I'll let you know how they fixed it bottom line they must fix this noise is driving me nuts also </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Headed to dealer Friday for marker lights sorry for delay.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:14 PM

keep in touch First Hummer
Old 08-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Sounds good to me Guy!! We'll get Scotts to make it right.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3Infrmr:
I seen at Lynch Hummer how the Roof Lights are installed. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT getting Marker Lights or Roof Fog Lights. They were drilling holes in the roof free handed and actually putting dents in the roof. The guy also drilled into the wiring of the mirror because as he was pulling the drill out of the hole, the wiring was caught. NOT GOOD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't drill blindly into the roof. There is a templete that comes with the roof light kits that show you exactly where to drill. The instructions tell you how to drill so you don't snag any wiring, that guy obviously didn't read the instructions. As far as denting the roof, I guess that's accurate. If you tighten up the rivit nuts properly, it will slightly warp the roof right around the riv nut. Now let's think about it though, once you agree to put the roof lights on, they are on. You're not going to take them off. And the roof light panel covers completely the entire front part of the roof so you couldn't see a slight dent if you tried. Does that really matter? If the roof lights are installed by a competent tech they will be quiet and work fine. Maybe some of the early installs didn't work out as well because some techs didn't figure out the tricks to it yet, but by now they should all be fine.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:07 PM

thanks for your imput HUMMERTECH. I hope your right. I take it from your reply that you do not think there is a flaw in either the light bar or install process. Seems like there are a number of hummer owners on here that have complained about this. I am going to make sure that my dealer knows about the problem before i pick my truck up in couple weeks.
thanks
bret
Old 08-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Guy:
keep in touch First Hummer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jersey Guy,I just got back from dealer.They removed the lights and installed a foam gasket accross the front of lights.Im sorry to say its better,but I dont think that was the solution.I believe they need to cover that gap with what they call a lip seal,just my thoughts.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:51 AM

Hey First and Boulder called my dealer today (Scotts)told them that i cant go on much longer with the marker light noise he told me hes calling GM to find the right fix if there is one and is not going to put 3m or something without their permisson so I will let you guys know what happens if they tell me live with it I will want a name to talk to GM or Hummer and get to the bottom of this Thanks for the info First I would have thought the foam would work. the windshield is so flat when driving the wind justs goes right under the lip. I cant believe this is happening and these dealers dont have a clue you would think that they gave these lights a dam wind test before releasing them to be installed