H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 08-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

What would it tale to make the rear diff lock in 4HI or really anytime I want? This would be usefull for higher than 20mph wheel speed mud crossings.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

What would it tale to make the rear diff lock in 4HI or really anytime I want? This would be usefull for higher than 20mph wheel speed mud crossings.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

Are there a lot of those in West Palm? Just messin--I'm not sure what would have to be done technically...

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 08-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

MxHonda is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Are there a lot of those in West Palm? Just messin-- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny About 15 miles west of Palm Beach we have the Corbett Wildlife Preserve and it is filled with water holes and mud. Some do require some speed to get accross. Ocala National Forest is about 2hrs North of us and I would like to go there sometime too.
I am sure that I will MANAGE to make it through with the stock H3.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Banned

SledgeHummer is off the scale

Jeep Rubicon has the same problem, I just learned that there is a cure for it through an electrical bypass surgery which tricks the onboard computer into thinking the vehicle is engaged in 4LO when it is still in 4HI, and ...voila, the diff-lock will engage.

I am still investigating on how this can be done on the H3, will let you know of any findings. on the Rubicon, I heard it's a simple wire bypass in the dashboard.

DuneH3
Old 08-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I don't reccomend bypassing that. GM did that for a reason. When that lock is on, your rear axle is locked solid. When that thing is locked solid, something has to give when the rear tires are not spinning at exactly the same speed, and the faster you go the more likely is that it will break something in the rear axle. And if you bypass it and break something, you can forget about warranty covering it. I haven't experienced a time yet in which you need it above 20mph.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Banned

HummerTech, you're absolutely right, I assume I was addressing myself to an offroad skilled audience only a novice beginner would engage diff-lock and go at high speeds and ultimately break the diff altogether.

In certain situations, SPECIALLY in soft Desert dunes you have to travel between 5 and 12 MPH, however, TORQUE is not what is needed to climb a dune, it's Horsepower. AND you also need diflock at the same time when tackling endless dunes one after the other (axle articulation). I think in the US you guys experience the same situation when in mud terrain where an extra speed to help you get accross is needed.

In soft sand we always use 4HI we only switch to 4LO when we are in trouble and need that extra push.

Another thing I didnt like in the H3, the Stabilitrac was engaging by itself without "asking me" (heheh) I didnt like that because it was cutting power to certain wheels where I needed the power the most. Putting the vehicle in control instead of me. Offroaders HATE that. Onroad put whatever system you want, we'll play along, but Offroad, we have to be in charge.

coming back to your point, you're right and I'm right. Engaging diff-lock in 4HI is only for experienced people who know what they're doing and know WHEN to use it. A skilled evaluation of the terrain is necessary here.

DuneH3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
I don't reccomend bypassing that. GM did that for a reason. When that lock is on, your rear axle is locked solid. When that thing is locked solid, something has to give when the rear tires are not spinning at exactly the same speed, and the faster you go the more likely is that it will break something in the rear axle. And if you bypass it and break something, you can forget about warranty covering it. I haven't experienced a time yet in which you need it above 20mph. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Hummer Professional

I can't say I'm familiar with driving over in UAE. But I do need to ask this question. Are you an American living over there?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:58 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

y? what difference would it make?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyperion78:
y? what difference would it make? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hehe, you're right Hyperion, I dont want to go off-topic here, but if it's necessary to make intros, here goes : I am 1/2 Lebanese 1/2 French living in the UAE as an Expat.

GM has its regional office here in Dubai and I am a contractor for GM for various Hummer offroad issues. I am also a member of the press.

Below is my picture during the regional launch of the H3 held in Bahrain back in May. I am the short guy standing next to Terry Johnson, GM's Regional Director for Middle-East and Africa (Based in UAE)

I registered on this forum to pick your brains from time to time and share my experiences with you....if that's ok

Regards.

DuneH3

Old 08-15-2005, 05:02 AM

tacocat is off the scale

That's cool Dune. Mudbogging sometimes does require a locked rear and speed. Typically, there is enough slippage in deep mud to avoid damage. Of course one has to be careful when the rear is locked at higher speed.

Running a spooled or locked rear on the road can be dangerous.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MxHonda:
What would it tale to make the rear diff lock in 4HI or really anytime I want? This would be usefull for higher than 20mph wheel speed mud crossings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know there is a "4Hi Locked" option in my H3, so if you want to make the rear diff lock you just push the button...
Old 08-15-2005, 06:10 PM
Hummer Professional

I was curious if he is American. I wouldn't change any attiude toward he no matter what nationality he is. Just curious. OK?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:44 PM

tacocat is off the scale

I was wondering if he was American military myself. I have a friend stationed with the Navy in Dubai.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:41 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

I read in the manual that you can have the 4 lock hi up to 70 MPH - not recommended on roads above 30 MPH for a while.