H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Sharkster is off the scale

When I turn on my H3 in the morning (after it stood still all night), I can hear a high frequency squeaking noise from the engine, going like "squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak..."

After approx. 3-5 minutes the noise goes away and doesn't return no matter how often I start the engine on that same day again. So it only appears, when the engine has been off for at least 12 hours.

It kinda sounds like it is coming from the v-belt... Overall it doesn't sound too alarming so I guess it's nothing really serious... I just would like to find out where it's coming from. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

When I turn on my H3 in the morning (after it stood still all night), I can hear a high frequency squeaking noise from the engine, going like "squeak-squeak-squeak-squeak..."

After approx. 3-5 minutes the noise goes away and doesn't return no matter how often I start the engine on that same day again. So it only appears, when the engine has been off for at least 12 hours.

It kinda sounds like it is coming from the v-belt... Overall it doesn't sound too alarming so I guess it's nothing really serious... I just would like to find out where it's coming from. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 09-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't recall, but how long have you had yours. There was a thread about some earlier units getting fluids spilled on the belts at the factory or something like that. Try doing a search or maybe somebody will link to it.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 09-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

I took mine in for the same reason and left it overnight but they waited till the afternoon to start it up and it had been parked in the sun. The sound was not there when they started it up so they just sprayed the belt with dressing and gave it back. Now it still does it on cooler/ cold mornings. If the belt goes it will be replaced but the inconvienience is what bothers me.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Webb70:
but the inconvienience is what bothers me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea... same here. I mean... it's a new car so I don't want it to make "squeak-squeak-squeak" during the first couple of minutes.

Did the spray at least help a little?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

Okthenbye is off the scale

I went through that when my H3 was new. It was the serpentine belt. The dealer changed it out and it has been quiet ever since. Take your H3s in and have the belt changed under warranty. Don't listen to the noise...
Old 09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Okthenbye:
I went through that when my H3 was new. It was the serpentine belt. The dealer changed it out and it has been quiet ever since. Take your H3s in and have the belt changed under warranty. Don't listen to the noise... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for the info. I will have that checked.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

There's a bulletin on this. Some of the early built H3's have a pully that's slightly misaligned causing the early morning squeak. I think there is a redeisgned bracket or something to take care of it.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
There's a bulletin on this. Some of the early built H3's have a pully that's slightly misaligned causing the early morning squeak. I think there is a redeisgned bracket or something to take care of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get me wrong or anything, I am not bitching but, how does something like this get by. I don't know the specifics but I would have thought with all the testing before production started that they would have noticed a misaligned pulley. Was it something that was changed when they went to production? Again, not bitching, just curious.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

I don't know. But I will say this, this is the first model year for this, and it is coming out with very few problems for a first model year vehicle. We have a few people on this site who like to bitch about everything, but overall these are very reliable trucks. To anyone who disagrees with me, you should have bought an H2 in the first 3 months those were out. Now there were some real issues there.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
I don't know. But I will say this, this is the first model year for this, and it is coming out with very few problems for a first model year vehicle. We have a few people on this site who like to bitch about everything, but overall these are very reliable trucks. To anyone who disagrees with me, you should have bought an H2 in the first 3 months those were out. Now there were some real issues there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree completely, the quality of the H3 for a first year vehicle is great. There are always going to be individual vehicles that seem to have a lot of problems for whatever reason. There is also always going to be individuals that will bitch about every single little problem even if it is really nothing and think everything is supposed to be perfect and fit their exact needs in every possible way. There is no such vehicle on the planet and never will be. Think we have had some of both here. One thing I can say is that this forum is great and how did we all get along in previous vehicles without forums like this. Being able to discuss vehicle issues and get information of features is great. Got to love the web.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

There's a bulletin on this. Some of the early built H3's have a pully that's slightly misaligned causing the early morning squeak. I think there is a redeisgned bracket or something to take care of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, since I live in Germany and there are no HUMMER dealers around here, it would be a great help if you could give me a little more details about what would need to be replaced to get rid of the "early-morning-squeak".

I do have a guarantee on my car, but it is a complex procedure to fix such things up, when nobody really knows a lot about this car.

Also maybe you can link to the bulletin you were talking about? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

There's a bulletin on this. Some of the early built H3's have a pully that's slightly misaligned causing the early morning squeak. I think there is a redeisgned bracket or something to take care of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
what's the bull no.? ijust did a search on the GM esi system and no bull is shown for this type of problem.

as for why this could happen. simple, suppliers can make a`mistake, a few millimeters off on a spec,abd a pulley is off alignment.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

UPDATE: I had my v-belt replaced with the result that the early morning squeaking noise only became worse.

However, the early morning "squeak-squeak-squeak" is clearly somehow related to the v-belt area or to the issues Hummertech mentioned above.

Please, I need someone to help me figure out what the problem is and how it could be fixed. We don't have any official HUMMER dealers in Germany so nobody really knows where to look or what to do to fix this.

However, I have a very competent garage that would be able to look into this, if they only knew where to start or what needs to be fixed.

Hummertechs briefing above wasn't really sufficient, since there are dozens of "brackets" or "pullies" under the hood. Could someone (or Hummertech) please give me a more detailled description of what needs to be done? Or maybe there really is a service bulletion about this issue (like Hummertech said above).

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sharkster:
UPDATE: I had my v-belt replaced with the result that the early morning squeaking noise only became worse.

However, the early morning "squeak-squeak-squeak" is clearly somehow related to the v-belt area or to the issues Hummertech mentioned above.

Please, I need someone to help me figure out what the problem is and how it could be fixed. We don't have any official HUMMER dealers in Germany so nobody really knows where to look or what to do to fix this.

However, I have a very competent garage that would be able to look into this, if they only knew where to start or what needs to be fixed.

Hummertechs briefing above wasn't really sufficient, since there are dozens of "brackets" or "pullies" under the hood. Could someone (or Hummertech) please give me a more detailled description of what needs to be done? Or maybe there really is a service bulletion about this issue (like Hummertech said above).

Thanks for your help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just sent a few illustrations showing the idler pulley and tensioner

I still cannot find a reference to any bulletin
Old 10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
just sent a few illustrations showing the idler pulley and tensioner

I still cannot find a reference to any bulletin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks a lot for your help. I will have the idler pulley and the tensioner checked and replaced if necessary.

3k miles with my ride so far. I totally love it and this has been the only problem I encountered. I wouldn't even consider it serious... but on a brand new ride, you simply don't want any squeaks.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:53 PM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

Here's the bulletin:

Drive Belt Chirp Noise - keywords alignment chirp pulley repeat squeak squeal #PIP3338C - (Aug 22, 2005)
Drive Belt Chirp Noise - Potential Alignment and Belt Issues
2004-2006 Chevrolet Colorado

2004-2006 GMC Canyon

2006 Hummer H3

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
On rare occasions, a belt chirp or squeak noise may be encountered at random conditions. This noise may the result of a misaligned idler bracket and pulley, misaligned power steering pump pulley, or serpentine belt material contamination.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If the SI diagnostics do not isolate a cause for this concern, the following information may help:

If the vehicle was manufactured before 4/26/2005, replace the Idler Pulley Bracket using Part Number 12590963. Vehicles manufactured on 4/26/2005 or later were manufactured with this updated bracket.
Inspect the power steering pump pulley to shaft alignment. If the power steering pump pulley is not flush with the power steering pump pulley, adjust the pulley to make it flush with the shaft. Typically, when this is an issue, the pulley will be pressed on around 2 mm past the end of the shaft.
Clean all pulleys and replace the serpentine belt due to possible coolant contamination that may have occurred during vehicle manufacturing.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks 1COOLH3. I'll translate this into German and pass it on to the garage aswell.

Damn... this board makes owning an H3 in Germany (or in any country outside the US and CAN) really a lot easier. You guys are awesome!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:15 AM

h3fanatic is off the scale

I havent had a problem with that, but wanted to ask another question... Does anybody else hear a squeaky noise from their car when going over a bump?? I tried to locate the sound but dont know where its coming from....
Old 10-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From the bulletin:
If the power steering pump pulley is not flush with the power steering pump pulley, adjust the pulley to make it flush with the shaft. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tried to translate this, but figured out that this sentence is most likely a mistake, isn't it? How can the "power steering pump pulley" be flush with the "power steering pump pulley"?

I guess it should be: "If the power steering pump pulley is not flush with the other pulleys" right?

Also, is the power steering pump pulley easy to identify? I looked for an overview of the pulleys which are driven by the serpentine belt in the owner's manual, but didn't find one. Does anyone have a drawing which shows and identifies all the pulleys?