H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Tom Tom, It has a vent mounting accessory available.Thinking of getting it
Would get it 5 33.33%
Wouldnt get it 3 20.00%
Would get black one 1 6.67%
Would get black w/silver trim 1 6.67%
Get a in dash Navigation 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you think of the Tom Tom, It has a vent mounting accessory available.Thinking of getting it for wife for Xmas
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Hummer Guru

What do you think of the Tom Tom, It has a vent mounting accessory available.Thinking of getting it for wife for Xmas
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Kenwood 4100 > all
Old 11-25-2005, 11:43 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

Which model are you looking at?

I was looking into the TomTom but I read it was buggy. Some strange one-time registration issue that caused some people a lot of problems.

I had a Navman PDA based Nav. It worked quite well. I upgraded to the ICN510. It has some nicer features but I don’t think it navigates as well.

My buddy also had a Navman and he upgraded to the Garman I-Que. He says it’s much better than the Navman.

One plus for the Navman is that if you ever travel to Europe you can get street level maps for both Eastern and Western. Not sure if that is available for the TomTom.

Good Luck
Old 11-26-2005, 02:19 AM

mannytranny is off the scale

I just bought a Garmin 2720. I really like it.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:47 AM

H3Fan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mannytranny:
I just bought a Garmin 2720. I really like it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you enable the traffic feature and does that require a seperate antenna? Looking at getting one in a few weeks to go along with my new h3.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:15 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Surferjo:
Which model are you looking at?

I was looking into the TomTom but I read it was buggy. Some strange one-time registration issue that caused some people a lot of problems.

I had a Navman PDA based Nav. It worked quite well. I upgraded to the ICN510. It has some nicer features but I don’t think it navigates as well.

My buddy also had a Navman and he upgraded to the Garman I-Que. He says it’s much better than the Navman.

One plus for the Navman is that if you ever travel to Europe you can get street level maps for both Eastern and Western. Not sure if that is available for the TomTom.

Good Luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also bought a Dell navigation for my PDA,it worked great the one time I used.My H3 still in shop after a week of waiting for BCM module.Im getting pretty pissed rite about now.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

Okthenbye is off the scale

I have a Navman portable unit that I have been using for 2 years and it still is going strong.
I use it for the Western US and it has never let me down.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

Brian H is off the scale

I have the Tom Tom Go 700. I love it. No bugs in mine. I really like the bluetooth integration where it actually connects to your bluetooth phone. Got mine from ebuy.com about 3 weeks ago for $705.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:01 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

For on-road, I use the Garmin Ique 3600 PDA, it has never failed. Sits on a bean bag mount that actually holds it in place quite well. However, I only use it when on long trips, primarily for the detour function, that routes a detour around road construction.
For off-road, I use a Magellan Sportrac TOPO. Very small screen, primarily for carrying, but it does have a windshield mount, and when off-roading you aren't going fast anyway.
The TOPO software is fantastic.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Hummer Guru

The Tom Tom is portable it does also use batterys.My phone has bluetooth.I beleve it also has weather / trafic feature available.

Brian H
How do you have it mounted did you buy the vent clip mounting bracket.thats what im thinking of doing.Im thinking the all black one but the trim in silver is nice also.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:19 PM

mannytranny is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Did you enable the traffic feature and does that require a seperate antenna? Looking at getting one in a few weeks to go along with my new h3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been playing with it for only three days but you must buy a module for traffic which I haven't. I'm not sure about seperate antennas.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can the Navman External antenna be run to the stock XM satallite antenna on the H3? I'm looking to get the Navman iCN 520 ($400) great price for a versatile stylish protable unit...but I'm not to sure about the windshield mount as it looks like it could take away from visibility in the H3 any thoughts?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yat74:
Can the Navman External antenna be run to the stock XM satallite antenna on the H3? I'm looking to get the Navman iCN 520 ($400) great price for a versatile stylish protable unit...but I'm not to sure about the windshield mount as it looks like it could take away from visibility in the H3 any thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt you can use the XM antenna.

I used it last week on my way to DC. No problem with visibility at all.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you mount it..center or of to the side?
Old 11-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Hummer Guru

The reason I like the tom tom is you can get a vent mount and run the wires through the vent as it comes off with the radio trim.I would run the lighter plug to a female plug that i will tap in behind the accy plug so you cant see it.It will be a clean look.If possibe I would center it over flasher button bettween 2 vents.I figured all black might blend in better but im also considering the silver trim to match dash trim ?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

I have the Tom Tom Navigator 5 on my Palm Treo 650. The software cost $150, and the bluetooth GPS was ~$100 or so, can't remember. The GPS is Sirf III, so works great through solid objects. I throw it in the glove box and have never had reception problems (whereas my old one had to be on the dash and had trouble through canyons (natural and urban). The only annoying thing with mine is that I have to keep the batteries charged and reach in to turn on the GPS receiver when I want to use it. It shouldn't be difficult to get one that will always be on when the car is on. I need to look into that.

I haven't gone to the trouble of cleanly mounting the treo on the dash anywhere yet. Mainly because the voice directions are so good that I don't really need to look at it while driving, and I think that's an important feature. I just set it in the cup holder for now and peer down at it once in a while to check my ETA.

This Tom Tom software should be equivalent to that on the Go you're considering, and I think the software works great for the most part. I've run into a couple cases where it seemed to get confused and direct me incorrectly, but when I go the way I know is correct, it does get back on track pretty quick. I don't have too much experience with other systems to know if this is better or worse on other systems. I like the different voices, particularly the English bird. I demoed the John Cleese voice... very funny, but I think it would get old quick. I have the maps for the Pacific Northwest and Canada on a high-speed SD card, so routing even long trips is extrememy fast.

One thing I particularly like about using a smartphone like the Treo is that Tom Tom software can navigate to locations in my Contacts. So I can look up a business in the yellow pages on my treo, add it to my contacts with a click, then navigate to that contact. I find this extremely useful when away from home and unexpectedly needing to find a particular store or restaurant.

I also have Pocket Topo on the Treo, which I switch to for backcountry travel (whether in vehicle or on foot). It doesn't give directions, but does show you where you are on the map using the GPS. When hiking or such, I just throw the bluetooth GPS receiver in my pack and keep the treo in my pocket.

So for $250 on top of the cost of a PDA-based cell phone I was going to have anyway, I think the value is unbeatable and the Tom Tom software works well. However, if you are considering spending over $700, I would look into an in-dash system like the Pioneer AVIC-D1, which can be found for ~$1000. That gives you the added value of bigger display (for song artist/title info, not just nav), and the possibility to add a backup cam. And even though I don't really like the look of these aftermarket systems (the small buttons aren't in keeping with the rest of the rugged theme), I think it's much cleaner than something mounted on your vent or on top of your dash.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Hummer Guru

I dont think I can get a in dash one for $1000.00 probobly double that.Then the problems with on star ect as stated in previos threads It would have to be dealer installed or it would void warranty.Plus tom tom runs on batterys so I can use it anywhere.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

Brian H is off the scale

fourfourto
I'm using the windshield mount now. It puts the Tom Tom unit right where you need it so you can view it as you drive and you don't need to keep looking down where the radio would be. I like that vent mount also that you had mentioned. I have been eying that as a next purchase thing. Here are some pics and sorry it took so long to reply.
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

Brian H is off the scale

another view
Attached Images