H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Code P0455 and the Gas Cap

The truck started throwing code P0455 last week after warning me to tighten my gas cap. So I checked the cap, cleared the code...a day or so later same message and same code.

It's come up three times now so I thought I'd throw this question out to the masses: Has anyone gotten this error and actually found that REPLACING the OEM gas cap resolved the issue? Or is the problem more likely to be elsewhere...charcoal canister, purge vent solenoid, etc.

I mean the cap doesn't see a lot of action...screw it off, screw it on once a week and it's protected from the weather behind my fuel door. Plus I just had it checked twice by the emissions testing center last month and it checked out both times. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for a new cap to resolve the issue...seems like a cheap fix; but I just wanna see if anyone else has went down this road.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

markwoodlief is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Code P0455 and the Gas Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
The truck started throwing code P0455 last week after warning me to tighten my gas cap. So I checked the cap, cleared the code...a day or so later same message and same code.

It's come up three times now so I thought I'd throw this question out to the masses: Has anyone gotten this error and actually found that REPLACING the OEM gas cap resolved the issue? Or is the problem more likely to be elsewhere...charcoal canister, purge vent solenoid, etc.

I mean the cap doesn't see a lot of action...screw it off, screw it on once a week and it's protected from the weather behind my fuel door. Plus I just had it checked twice by the emissions testing center last month and it checked out both times. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for a new cap to resolve the issue...seems like a cheap fix; but I just wanna see if anyone else has went down this road.

Mine did the same thing, then it started doing 0449's instead...

here is the thread on what solved it for me..
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41945
Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

P0455 is an evap system large leak detected. Could be a broken evap line, cracked cannister, purge valve or vent valve stuck open. Tough to find without an evap smoke machine and a scan tool to seal system.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Hummer Authority

Replaced cap and solenoid (under the driver's side next to the frame)...thought I had it. Nope...still gettin' the 455.

Which is the next logical part to check? Or at this point is it just better to have the dealer do a smoke test and be done with it?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

Hi not that is going to help you with your code problem but i just bought a smoke machine today made buy redline. I used a buds to check for a intake leak on my bike after that i had to have one. They work great for checking for leaks in evap systems also wind noises and intake and exhaust leaks just to name a few.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/

Last edited by twr : 10-19-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Replaced cap and solenoid (under the driver's side next to the frame)...thought I had it. Nope...still gettin' the 455.

Which is the next logical part to check? Or at this point is it just better to have the dealer do a smoke test and be done with it?
Now I'm getting P0455 and P0496 High Purge Flow...blah blah. I guess it's time for the smoke test.

I've also notice on my last three gas-ups that immediately after putting gas in the tank (whether it was a complete fill-up or not) when I turn the key the engine cranks really fast and starts to start, but then putters out (like it's not getting any gas). When I turn the key a second time, it gets a little better and almost idles, then putters out. On the third try it usually starts after a few cranks but idles rough for a bit, then it's fine and doesn't act up again until I put more gas in.

WTF?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Now I'm getting P0455 and P0496 High Purge Flow...blah blah. I guess it's time for the smoke test.

I've also notice on my last three gas-ups that immediately after putting gas in the tank (whether it was a complete fill-up or not) when I turn the key the engine cranks really fast and starts to start, but then putters out (like it's not getting any gas). When I turn the key a second time, it gets a little better and almost idles, then putters out. On the third try it usually starts after a few cranks but idles rough for a bit, then it's fine and doesn't act up again until I put more gas in.

WTF?
I'm thinking maybe the purge valve up front needs replaced...$40 (GM 12581282).

I was poking around on a Cadillac forum where the same code and symptoms were discussed: "The first time it happened was after stopping to refuel after being on the road for about 4 hours. The car wouldn't start, even after letting it sit for a bit. Finally, I pressed the gas peddle all the way down and it fired up (acted like it was flooded)."

The Cadillac tech reported that this was a "condition that we used to refer to as 'flow during non-purge'. Basically the engine is sucking fuel vapors from the canister into the engine which will severely enrich it. If the computer doesn't know this is happening the fuel mixture won't be right and it will not run well."

Replacing the valve seemed to resolve the issue for the Caddy guys...guess I'll give it a try this weekend.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Hummer Authority

Simple to test, unplug the electrical connector on the purge valve then disconnect evap line from cannister at purge valve with engine running and check for vacume at purge valve connector. If vacume is present valve is stuck open as it is a normally closed valve.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:21 AM
Banned

snmazer is on a distinguished road

I apologize for hijacking a thread but I have the same codes and when I start my Hummer I get a extremely loud hissing sound for several seconds then it goes away. If I turn off the heat or AC, the hissing immediately stops. Any idea what this may be? I see you guys are talking about a "purge valve" and was wondering if that may be whats causing my problem?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by snmazer
I apologize for hijacking a thread but I have the same codes and when I start my Hummer I get a extremely loud hissing sound for several seconds then it goes away. If I turn off the heat or AC, the hissing immediately stops. Any idea what this may be? I see you guys are talking about a "purge valve" and was wondering if that may be whats causing my problem?
I don't have a hiss...just trouble getting started after a gas-up. I've already replaced the 'usual suspects' (gas cap, evap solenoid)...I'm gonna do the purge valve tomorrow and see if that fixes anything.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Hummer Authority

Im confused as to why you wouldnt test it before replacing parts.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
Im confused as to why you wouldnt test it before replacing parts.
That's what I'm doing today. I'm fairly certain that it will react as you described.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Hummer Authority

Yep...the valve was stuck open. I slapped the new one on and cleared the codes. We'll see how it goes.