H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-04-2003, 01:36 PM

Gary C is off the scale

I took off the brush guard and the fog lights. So, I would like to make the DRL's as fogs with the option to turn them on and off with the wiring and switch that is mounted in the overhead console which use to work the fog lights on the now removed brush guard?

thanks

Pewter, Lux, Rear Tire Mount, Corsa Touring Exhaust, HID's
Old 03-04-2003, 01:36 PM

Gary C is off the scale

I took off the brush guard and the fog lights. So, I would like to make the DRL's as fogs with the option to turn them on and off with the wiring and switch that is mounted in the overhead console which use to work the fog lights on the now removed brush guard?

thanks

Old 03-04-2003, 03:18 PM

HummerGUY is off the scale

Hey, if you removed you old fog lights and brush guard, is there any chance you would be willing to sell the fog lamp mounts ( the mounts only)? Thanks!
Old 03-04-2003, 08:53 PM

Gary C is off the scale

Actually the dealer gave me credit for the parts, sorry, any help on the way?

Old 03-05-2003, 01:03 AM

Gary C is off the scale

Thanks Phil, I wish I was an electrician, if a plug is pulled out of the wall I know how to fix it and that’s where it ends, I have some HID’s to put in and have some Xenon blue bulbs coming for the DRL’s,

I did a search but was looking for an easy fix using the Driving Lights Switch on the over head console, I guess I am S.O.L for a while until I meet the right People here in Indy, only been here for 100 plus days, if I was still in San Diego (30 years) it wouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks for the clarification on the fog/driving deal…

Thanks for the Help

Old 03-05-2003, 01:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse...or opening a can of worms, either but....

I've been watching the threads, on DRL's for the same solution as GaryC, and like the idea of the 8156 50w bulb, and am eager to hear if anything melts.

I am curious about possibility of using the stock driving lights from an '02 or later Yukon Denali, or the'03 GMC Sierra P/U in place of the H2's drl's. The stock button/switch may be able to be incorporated under the rear wiper switch as well.

I have not done any research, but might be worth a try.

Any thoughts??

thanks,
JSA_3 (west texas white)
Old 03-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

oooops.....

forgive my ignorance....

just referred to my wife's Denali owners book, and looking over the set up....

I think they are actually fog lights not driving lights (though would certainly put out more light than the H2's)and are wired into the headlight relay and actually turn off when hi beams are selected.

I will take a look at the vehicle tonight and measure bulbs etc. to see if it might even be possible/feasable.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:40 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I also have a Denali (2001 Yukon XL Denali) and haven't even given thought to see if the fogs from it will work in replacement of the H2 DRL's.

I'll also try to take a look this afternoon to see if it looks like they might work.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

If you want fog lights (and no brush guard) how about using the set up shown and discussed here:
http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=2606011751&m=586608613 2

You can use the existing wiring from the off-road lights, which you removed. Switch is already in place.

Jim
Red H2
Old 03-05-2003, 05:40 PM

buddy is off the scale

The DRL's are for YOU to be seen, not for you to see. The optics are similiar to a flashlight.
We can install white, blue and yellow bulbs, but still won't get anything more than a glare on the wall. The DRL's should have been designed with better optics, some that could also be used as fogs.

One suggestion, buy quality lighting and you'll be much happier when you get on the road.
I've been a Hella user for many years and been very satisfied with their products. Some lighting is not worth the time installing.

Recently, I did a Cibie cornering light install, which replaced my Hella Black Magic's on the brush guard. The optics on the Cibie's create light much like a fog beam, but much wider,( 75 m wide) over 200 m down the road. They are awesome and have some well designed optics. Mine are wired thru a relay and activated by highbeams. Cibie also makes the driving version with same housing which I'll be installing soon.

Piaa makes some good lighting. I think Mango was installing some 510's or 540's awhile back, but don't know what the outcome was. I like to change the DRL's too if anyone finds some lights that will fit. Rewiring to work is no problem.

Buddy
Old 03-05-2003, 08:52 PM

buddy is off the scale

PhilD,

The 500 Round and 550 Rectangle were the first of the Hella's I ever used. I found them the other day in a box I stored 6-7 yrs ago. They were ok at the time. I also dug out a couple of KC 160w daylighters still in the box. Those I gave to friend with a new Ford HD. Now those lights get HOT.

Are the factory aux lights made by Bosch?

Jen at SUV lights has some Bosch HID's for 299.00 each. Jen says they use the same bulb and ballast as the Hella 4000's which cost twice as much. They will easily fit the H2, whereas the 4000's would require modifying the brush guard. And they would look huge on the H2.
I have a set on a truck and they look ok, but the H2's brush guard is wrapped too tight for these monsters.

Narva mades some smaller HID brush lights which would fit similiar to the KC's, but IMO look better. On the negative side, they have no US dealer and do not have any provisions for accepting credit cards and are shipped from Melborne, Aus.

If you find some fogs that will replace the DRL's I'd be interested.

Buddy
Old 03-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Tucson Beast

PhilD

I have a light bar on roof (installed by dealer) and two lights on grille (also installed by Dealer). You have heard this issue about the Dealer wiring only four lights rather than six. Having said that - can you tell me how you wired your two grille lights to your high beam - the more I think of this arrangement the more I like it. I never use the high beam in town because the Silverstars and DRL (used the jump) are plenty - it is only away from town (out in no where) where I would use the brights (now including the grille lights) plus the four roof lights (I would like to aim the outside ones outward to light more side area) - Is this simple?
Old 03-06-2003, 12:37 AM
Tucson Beast

PhilD

Thanks - If you have the time for a sketch I would sure appreciate it - and thanks for your time to try all of these new things - I feel that this light configuration is fantastic. If I ever get back to Corpus/Alice/Sinton - I will treat you with that Whataburger.