Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > Land Use Issues

Old 06-22-2007, 04:30 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BRC in Depth

I worked on this for a little bit....I'll call it a summary:

Q: Question A: Answer C: Comment R: Response

Q: Ken
However, I'd still like to see the top twenty corporate and individual donors, with amounts given, before I concede 100% that so much of what I've read about them is wrong. It's all about the stakeholders.
Who are the 20 top individual and corporate donors and what percentage of your total donations come from them as a group (you don't have to individually post each donor with each dollar amount).

A: Greg
With regard to the top donors, you are asking the wrong question if you are trying to identify who holds the reins of BRC. The right question is who gives you the most money? The answer to that I have already posted here. It is our collective grassroots contingent which represents 85-90% of our budget less advertising dollars. That is who holds the reins. The remainder comes from various other sources. Thank you for not requesting that I individually post each donor with each dollar amount. As I said in my previous comments, it is not my wish to name names and subject those folks to more attacks. It is important that you note that we are not talking big numbers here. Top 20 donors would include individuals and clubs that have donated $1000-$5000. The majority of our funding comes in the range of $5 to $1000 increments.

BTW, the president is listed as Jack Welch on the IRS pages you linked to. Is that the Jack Welch who used to be president of GE? The GE that does all this:
http://www.ge.com/company/businesses/index.html

A: Bebe and Greg
No, not the same

What involvement does your organization have in reopening mining roads and timber roads not for personal outdoor enjoyment, but for businesses to make their way back to the cut off/protected lands?

I?m not sure what kind of question it is other than preloaded with insinuation but, for the record: Even for recreational purpose, it is a very rare occasion that anyone is able to open up any roads and trails that have gone through a legitimate Administrative process. We are more often in the position of trying to prevent access closures that have no legitimate reasoning. It isn?t our job to open roads for business. We represent recreationalists not business. If we have protected access along some corridor to benefit recreation that at some point also provided access for a business or a landowner for example, that is a byproduct and not the point.

Who's your top Washington lobbyist and who else does that person and their firm represent?

The amount of money we spend on lobbying is also listed on our 990. You have to understand what lobbying means in order to understand what you are trying to get to with this question. If I go to DC or to a state and try to influence some piece of legislation, it is lobbying. If I ask you to send a letter to your congressman/woman/person, it is grassroots lobbying. As a 501 (c)(3) we are governed very strictly as to how much lobbying we can or cannot do. We adhere very strictly to those guidelines. You say in your question ?top Washington lobbyist? as if we have a bunch of lobbyists. We don?t. You can see that from our 990 the amount of money spent isn?t what others would have you believe. We work with a firm DC, Birch, Horton, Bittner & Cherot, P.C., as do others although the extent of who those others are, I couldn?t really say. Mostly they would be multiple-use concerns as that is the realm we operate in.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:36 AM
Hummer Guru

Q: Dennis
I guess those numbers don't include the numerous lawsuits won by BRC?

Yes those numbers do include all of our funding including legal actions.

$561,815.00 in direct public support. $284,689.00 in membership fees. $232,450.00 in Salaries
That's quite disturbing. Impressive burn rate.

Impressive burn rate? Disturbing? What is disturbing about that? Our top payed position is only $70k a year. It takes good people to get done what we are getting done on behalf of recreation. And we are getting a great deal done as is obvious from the attacks we keep getting from the other side. We have 7 full-time people, 1 part-time person and 4 contractors along with a host of volunteers across this nation. I would say if you do the math that is not burn rate by any stretch. On the contrary, we are frugal and act in good stewardship with the donor's money. Check out what the other side has in that department.

Hey Bebes, out of curiosity, are you on BRC's payroll or do you recieve any financial comphensation?

No Bebes is not counted as one of our paid staff although I am quite familiar with her volunteer efforts to that end...

Sierra Club = $92 Million Dollars - 2.5% to Administration costs.
BRC = $1 Million Dollars - 22% to Administration costs.
I'm trying to simplify it as best as I can, but can you see what is wrong with this picture?

Actually, yes I can see what is wrong with this picture. But, it is the polar opposite of what you are getting at obviously.
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what is wrong with putting as much as possible back out on the ground working for your people? After all, that is why they joined and donated. They want people out there working for them. This is an advocacy organization.
This is also why we are constantly under attack... because we are getting things done. We are putting our folks' money to work and that requires people to do it. We are doing it as efficiently as possible. If I had their budget, you would still see the same percentages if not higher. People out there working is how you get the job done. We are not about being a big business monster. We are about advocating for recreation.

All these pretty words BRC use like "Non-Profit", ""Volunteers", "Noble Cause" yet a huge percentage to salary.
At least Sierra club is opened book about their agenda.
Why is it that "Good People" at Seirra Club volunteer their services(2.5%),
And the "Good People" at BRC need to be on a fat payroll(22%)?
If you were to adapt the Sierra model, you should be only burning $25,000.00 for salaries. But shouldn't you be? BRC is a non-profit, volunteer organization right?
What I find scary is the BRC's payroll in relation to it's public donations and income. That's a scary burn-rate.
I have no problems with what you're trying to sell. It's how you're selling it.

This is a silly spin you are using that makes no sense in the real world.
In the first place, it is a simple function of mathematics to figure out your twist has nothing to do with the number of volunteers out there working and everything to do with the size of the budget income from big corporations and foundations funded by big corporations.
Huge percentage to payroll? Fat payroll? Give me a break. I wish I could pay our staff more money... something more in line with what the business world pays.
We are doing what we say we are doing. That is what it is about. It isn't about selling something. I don't understand why you keep saying that we are not upfront about what we are doing. There is no hidden agenda here. What is it that you think is hidden and not upfront?

C: Bebe
"You can measure your level of success by amount of people you've pissed off"

R: Dennis
Sierra Club has pissed off millions of people.
BRC has pissed off none. 3 or 4 people were just shaking their heads at how poorly it's being run, asking questions.
By how it reads, It seems you and Greg are slightly, if not pissed off, angry and defensive.
That quote does not apply to BRC.

R: Greg
You are quite right. I am necessarily in a defensive posture. I and the organization I represent have stood accused unrighteously.
In the face of statements like, "...just shaking their heads at how poorly it's being run..." I thought I was being fairly civil. You surely realize that it is my job to see that it is run efficiently and you have just insulted me unabashedly. Yes, that makes me angry at some level and yes that makes me defensive. More importantly however, I'm still here trying to answer your questions whether they are well founded or not. I really do care about what the grassroots thinks and we really are sincere in trying to make a difference.

Are you guys formulating a strategy even? Or just reactive as they come along?

A: Bebe
Yes, have always had a strategy, you can read about it a www.sharetrails.org
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Sometime, you see them coming, sometimes you don't

Now let me ask you, how's the donations coming along?
People are donating LAND to Seirra Club. How's things going with you guys?

A: Bebe
The Sierra club was founded in 1882 by John Muir, he began with 180+ members. The BRC was founded in 1987. The Sierra Club has been around a lot longer, and have been accumulating land longer. I can say with a fair amount of confidence, that those BRC members on the posted list, could very well begin to donate property. And I'm changing my property trust accounts tomorrow. Guess who it's all going to now?

C: Dennis
Like most people here, When I look at donating to an non-profit organization, I research first.
When I see the "taking" disproportionate with the "giving"
I'm pointing out irregularities and comparisons.

R: Bebe
It's an unfair comparison, like comparing the Small Business balance sheet to a Blue Chip Company balance sheet. Makes no logical sense.

I WON'T DONATE. And by the looks of it, alot here won't either.

R/Q: Bebe
What makes you think that?

You definitely need restructuring and a strategy. If you deny that too, you've already lost.
At the very least, we were able to bring some attention to the Land use Forum. It's a freakin ghost town in here.

The Land use forums are ghost towns on every site, not just this one.

You definitely need restructuring and a strategy. If you deny that too, you've already lost.
If you need any strategy or marketing advice, let me know

R/Q: Bebe
Why don't you Volunteer your time?

So I hope that I was thorough enough and that all the questions have been answered, and all the comments responded too.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:18 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03H3
I can't believe I read through this whole thing.

Dennis makes his arguments again, I guess some people see what he's talking about, but for the life of me I can't figure out what he's trying to say. I guess he's just so much smarter than I am that it completely escapes me (like all the other flaming liberal intellectuals).

Defending the Sierra Club or any other militant eviro-mental organization, while claiming you are looking out for the right to drive off road vehicles, flies in the face of reason.

If the thing seems to appear to defy common sense, it probably does.

Sales pitch all you want Dennis, when you write-I feel like I'm being sold something.

I've already donated to the USA-All to fight the whack-jobs in the SUWA, and now that I've read through this, I'm gonna send money to BRC. Because I want to, not because they sold it to me.

HAHAHA!!! Not surprised why you guys whine how expensive things are.

So noble running to the aid and possibly partake on some e-patting on the back.

Even a small child can understand the simplicity of my statement. I'll post it again. Read slooooower OK?

If you still don't get it, then yes, I am smarter than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisAJC
I'm pointing out irregularities and comparisons.

You guys shouldn't get your panties in a knot. You should use it to answer the question as to why you're miserably losing the battle.

Are you guys formulating a strategy even? Or just reactive as they come along(Another question so take a deep breath.)?

Like most people here, When I look at donating to an non-profit organization, I research first. When I see the "taking" disproportionate with the "giving",

I WON'T DONATE. And by the looks of it, alot here won't either.

Now let me ask you, how's the donations coming along?

People are donating LAND to Seirra Club. How's things going with you guys?

Some people can't handle the truth or advice. That's why you a Jac are freakin out.

And if you kids put your egos and guards aside, you'll realize that people are trying to help. You act all shocked and hurt. We don't live in a perfect world.

Like telling a child to stop picking their nose....

My Video Collectionez

Old 06-22-2007, 05:28 AM
Hummer Guru

The real definition of "Burn Rate"

Quote:
Burn rate is a synonymous term for negative cash flow. It is a measure for how fast a company will use up its shareholder capital. If the shareholder capital is exhausted, the company will either have to find additional funding or close down.

The term came into common use during the dot-com era when many start-up companies went through several stages of funding before emerging into profitability and positive cash flows and hence becoming self-sustainable (or, as for the majority, failing to find additional funding and sustainable business models and hence going bankrupt). In between funding events, burn rate becomes an important management measure, since it together with the available funds provides a time measure to when the next funding event needs to take place.

Some claim, that part of the reasons behind the dot-com bust, was the unsound management and financial investor practices to keep the burn rate up, taking it as a proxy for how fast the start-up company was acquiring a customer base.

Aside from financing, the term burn rate is also used for projects to determine the rate at which hours (allocated to a project) are being used, to identify when work is going out of scope, or when efficiencies are being lost.

Last edited by HummBebe : 06-22-2007 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Every time I speak with a crazed liberal, it's the same thing. Insult throwing, name calling, conspiracy based theory only they can see. They're always so much smarter than everybody else, that is why they are the only ones that buy into their crazy B.S.

I just can't figure out why you drive a Hummer Dennis. Then again, I don't care why.

You claim to speak for others, I don't see to many following you anywhere. You contribute little, except the negatives, and that is used to entertain yourself.

Your not particularly funny, and I doubt nearly as successful in business as you claim. I've already seen your marketing prowess compared to leaders in their industry, and you fell way short. Keep on deluding yourself about your impact on others, and by all means please tell us all what we should believe. That really is entertaining.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
It's an unfair comparison, like comparing the Small Business balance sheet to a Blue Chip Company balance sheet. Makes no logical sense.

Actually you did Bebes. That's what started this whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
Take a look at Sierra clubs number Dennis....that's impressive.

I just expanded the comparison threw some pie in your eye.

I'll give you a little advice,

Not everyone is gonna roll over, smile and believe you for everything you say everytime you type someting cute or post a bunny picture. I'm actually just trying to help out. You can be on the same side but grossly disagree with each other.

I don't care if I can't convince you. Your bigger problem is convincing those who have the potential to donate. Take a page from the Sierra Club. You can learn something. They are doing something right and that's a shame for us because we're all on the losing team.

My Video Collectionez

Old 06-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Hummer Guru

Keep your advice Dennis, I'm the Momma, I'll hand out the advice around here.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mumm
BTW... I find your avitar offensive.
Actually, it's AVATAR, but that's ok.

I can't believe you find this one offensive.Name:  adult2_2904.gif
Views: 121
Size:  12.3 KB

Anyway, I changed it to this one. Name:  526900291lul0pv8.gif
Views: 136
Size:  18.2 KB

Atleast this way everyone knows it's me that loves bewbies.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to explain your team, your mission, and your goals.

Now stop thinking everything I said was full of inuendo.

Last edited by KenP : 06-22-2007 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Just FYI, I'm going to clean up this thread a little.....just to keep it on topic.

Thanks.