H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Elcova Newbie

jst4fun is on a distinguished road
Exclamation HELP!! Steering wheel lock issue, any input??

Hello!!
I have a 2008 H3, jst set it up to tow behind my motor-home and ran into a dilemma... the steering wheel locks when the key is removed. The only way to unlock it is to put the key in Acc, which makes it so you cant lock the doors and it drains the battery. I purposely bought a standard to make this tow process easy, never gave wheel lock a thought... dam!!

I have done the transfer case neutral trick, but that doesn't unlock the steering wheel/shaft.

Has anyone ever removed the anti-theft steering wheel/shaft lock from a H3??
if so please explain the process.
it almost feels electronically controlled by the key removal... maybe there is a coil i can jumper out??

Thank you!!
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Elcova Newbie

jst4fun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP!! Steering wheel lock issue, any input??

Anyone???
Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

A few people had this same problem and bought the GM steering wheel lock bypass. I also think there was a dealer fix for this removing the bar in the the steering column.
From a 2007 post:
What is the symptom of failure?
A Your steering wheel will not unlock and the DIC will display an error message "Service Steering Column Lock". Your owner's manual will instruct you to have your vehicle towed to the nearest GM dealer for repair.

Q What exactly causes this failure?
A When you insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the ON position, the BCM (Body Control Module) sends a command to your Column Lock Motor to "unlock" and then checks a status line to ensure that the steering column is unlocked. If it gets the wrong status, it will display an error message as mentioned above. It can be caused by ECL (Electronic Column Lock) mechanism failure and occasionally by low battery voltage, which sometimes confuses the BCM.

Q Can anything be done to unlock the steering column once it has locked up?
A Sometimes; turn the ignition OFF and REMOVE the key. Shock your lock motor actuator assembly by jerking the steering wheel against the stops. Re-insert your key and try again. Also, if your battery voltage is low, charge your battery or replace it.

Q If my battery is discharged and I jump it to get the engine started, the alternator is now charging shouldn't the column unlock?
A NO; The whole unlock sequence occurs before you ever turn your key to start your engine. If the battery is too low, you will probably have trouble with your column lock. Several folks have replaced their battery and the column lock problem has never occurred since.

Q What years are affected?
A All

Q Is there any solution for this problem?
A Yes, install a Column Lock Bypass (CLB) Once it fails, you may not be able to fix it without GM repair. This bypass will also work when your vehicle is parked with the key off or out.

Some people used this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LMC5-MODULE-with-UNLOCKER-97-04-C5-CORVETTE-STEERING-COLUMN-LOCK-BYPASS-REPAIR-/230819881438?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Model%3ACorvette&hash=item35bdefe1de&vxp=mtr
Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

Major Tom is on a distinguished road

I have a 2007 and it does not have a steering wheel lock