H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-17-2006, 04:09 AM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road
Default Reprogramming remotes

There are HUMMER H3 remotes on eBay for sale, but they seem to say take the remote to the dealer to reprogram with a scan tool.

These eBayers, however, (1, 2) are saying they supply a programming instruction sheet. And, here is a $6.95 service that might have instructions.

Are there magical steps that can be taken with the originally supplied keys and remotes that don't require you to visit the dealer / scan tool? The Elcova Forums H2 FAQ have these instructions. Who wants to go test 'em out on the H3?

Maybe f5fstop can find us a H3 service bulletin for reprogramming.

Last edited by mountainbiker : 10-17-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reprogramming remotes

Service procedures state the use of the Tech 2 is required, but this is a normal process since all dealers have a Tech 2 and it is usually a bit faster than the non-Tech 2 process.
To prove out the other process (non-tech 2) works, I would need a different remote to program to the H3. The only H3s we have in the back are the H3G and a 2008 so the BCMs might be different.
I'll try and call the engineer today, if I get the time.
I would assume it will work the same; but then the H3 has a new style BCM and it does have some unique characteristics.

Maybe someone here has already tried this non-tech 2 procedure?????

Last edited by f5fstop : 10-17-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Groundpounder is on a distinguished road

I lost my spare key and I ordered one of the remotes from eBay. I took it to my dealer and after the car wash he programed the new remote and gave me a new key, at no cost, within 10 minutes. Just long enough for me to go inside and get a second cup of coffee. Got to love them.
2006 Slate Blue Metallic H3, FlowMaster exhaust, True Flow cold air intake system, Ground Force rear lowering kit, custom locking fuel door, chrome hood grill w/handle, US Speedo gauge kit (chrome and red numbers), Custom rear tire cover, chrome tail light guard, custom paint on skid plate, new pin stripping, USMC front license plate. Semper Fi
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder
I lost my spare key and I ordered one of the remotes from eBay. I took it to my dealer and after the car wash he programed the new remote and gave me a new key, at no cost, within 10 minutes. Just long enough for me to go inside and get a second cup of coffee. Got to love them.
Do you have an idea what your dealer did to program it? Do you think he could have done it with your vehicle not present and just the OEM remote/fob, OEM key, and eBay remote/fob?

The reason I ask is that I am overseas. Going to the nearest HUMMER dealer is a bit far. I could secure send a set to my Stateside HUMMER dealer or my local HUMMER dealer if they didn't need the vehicle as well.

Oh, one other question--I assume you would recommend the eBayer you purchased the spare remote from. Can you share the userid of the seller?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:53 PM
Hummer Guru

The dealer has to plug a Tech 2 into the vehicle to program the remotes.

It appears vehicles using the old style BCMs can have remotes programmed without a scan tool, and GM publishes the non-scan tool procedures, as well as procedures on how to program with a scan tool, in the service manual. For the H3, there is only one procedure and that is with a scan tool.
Any GM dealer should have a Tech 2, and it should have Hummer information on the tool. So any GM dealer should be able to program the remote, or an independent garage with a universal scan tool that can access the H3 BCM should also be able to program the remote.
Programming time is about three minutes, if the tech is familiar with the Tech 2 menus.
If you know someone with a scan tool, here is the procedure:
Transmitter Programming

Important
Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle. The order in which the transmitters are programmed is important. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. Use care to program the transmitters correctly.

Important
All key fobs must be programmed each time any one fob is programmed. The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.

Install a scan tool.
Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
Build vehicle in scan tool.
Select Body.
Select type of radio.
Select Body Control Module.
Select Special Functions.
Select Program Key Fobs.
Follow the scan tool on-screen directions.
After programming the last transmitter, remove the scan tool.
Exit the vehicle. Attempt to lock/unlock the doors to verify the programming.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Last edited by f5fstop : 10-20-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Hummer Professional

Thanks f5fstop -- as always, a wealth of knowledge for us.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

H3HUMMER is on a distinguished road

I BOUGHT ONES OFF EBAY THEY TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT.
BUT MINE WAS BROKEN AT THE RING I JUST SWITCH THE GUTS.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
It appears vehicles using the old style BCMs can have remotes programmed without a scan tool, and GM publishes the non-scan tool procedures, as well as procedures on how to program with a scan tool, in the service manual. For the H3, there is only one procedure and that is with a scan tool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3HUMMER
I BOUGHT ONES OFF EBAY THEY TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT.
BUT MINE WAS BROKEN AT THE RING I JUST SWITCH THE GUTS.
Are you saying you bought a spare remote/fob from eBay, and
  • it came with instructions to allow you to program it to function with your H3
  • it did not require the use of a scan tool, visiting a GM dealer, or other

Where your instructions like Method 1 of http://www.elcova.com/h2/faqs.html#I...e-program%20it?
Do you recall the eBay seller of the remote and instructions?
Old 10-20-2006, 01:41 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The only H3s we have in the back are the H3G and a 2008

I wouldn't suppose you could tell us what the H3G is???

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 10-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Hummer Guru

If there is a way to do it without a scan tool, this would be worthwhile posting somewhere here for everyone. Many times there are ways to do things w/o a scan tool, but the engineer in charge of the part has not verified it and will not add it to the procedure. (Example, checking DTCs on a C5 Vette via the message center. )

As for the H3G, don't get excited, it is the designator for the Global H3 or better known as the export model from Shreveport and S.Africa.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
As for the H3G, don't get excited, it is the designator for the Global H3 or better known as the export model from Shreveport and S.Africa.
A bit off the topic of programming remotes, but would the H3G by chance have any of the following things we need here in Europe:
  • (1) amber rear turn signals,
  • (2) active front/side amber turn signals (normally not active in the H3),
  • (3) white front parking lights (where the H3 has amber)
  • (4) red rear fog light(s)
Old 10-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbiker
A bit off the topic of programming remotes, but would the H3G by chance have any of the following things we need here in Europe:
  • (1) amber rear turn signals, YES
  • (2) active front/side amber turn signals (normally not active in the H3), YES
  • (3) white front parking lights (where the H3 has amber) YES
  • (4) red rear fog light(s) YES

Guess I could have said YES to all....

The European taillight has the backup lights in the same place, but the existing park/turn/stop red has been split in two with the bottom half being clear with an amber bulb. This took up the reflector area between the park/turn/stop lamp and the backup lamp, so the little round plug, just below the light assembly has been replaced with a reflector.
The vehicle I have seen, has the rear fogs at each end of that bar that hangs down to protect someone from sliding under the rear end of the H3. (Can't remember exactly what they call it, since we don't require it in the States.)
The Side repeaters (turn signals) are located just in front of the front fender flares and they stick out quite a bit so as to be seen.

Front park lights are clear and the front headlamps are different than in the States/Canada; I believe they are auto leveling (or something like that).
Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Hummer Professional

f5fstop, to grab some of those rear mods, I would prob need a new BCM and maybe significant new wiring--now for the million dollar question:

I am curious if I could get my hands on a pair of rear tail light assemblies and mod mine to it. I've already had to do quiet a bit at the rear already to be legal, but the H3G tail lights might make it look a bit cleaner.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Hummer Guru

Rear taillight could be a bear to switch out; not the physical housing, but the wiring.
The US/Canada version has the BCM controlling the park/turn/brake lamps at each bulb. When you turn on the park lamps, the BCM energizes the PRK/LP relay, which in turn supplies power to the rear bulb. This should be the same in Europe, but CANNOT guarantee this since I have no European schematics.
However, the turn and stop filaments are directly controlled by the BCM. When you turn on a signal, the BCM pulses that circuit to give a flashing bulb, if you apply the brakes, the BCM closes that circuit to the other filament inside the bulb to turn on the brake lamps (turn signal will override the brake).
To install the European taillight, a new BCM would be required, OR you could do some creative wiring.
The park lamp light should be the same.
You could run a wire from the brake switch to a relay to energize the second filament in the rear red bulb to simulate rear brakes. (I suggest a relay as to not overpower the brake lamp indicator circuit that is primarily an input to the BCM).
You could then run a couple circuits off the turn signal indicator circuits to relays, to energize the rear amber turn signals.
The turn signal switch signal the BCM via a resistive type switch, similar to the old cruise control switches. One resistive signal says right, another says left. The BCM does use two separate circuits to the turn signal indicators in the I/P cluster. (I tapped for the turn signal mirrors I installed on my H3 into these wires.)
I believe running the separate wires, using relays, should enable you to run the European taillight assembly.

The front turn signal lamp assemblies should be available at a European Hummer dealer, and the side repeaters should be available. Not sure if someone in the states could obtain these items or not, possibly partsguy.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Hummer Professional

f5fstop thanks for all that and the other stuff. Oh how I wish I had a South Africian model already. I have less than 30 more days to make my mods to my US spec model. My plans are

- add a light/buld, tied to the front turn signal, to give make my front corners active when turning
- add a set of small white parking lights in the grille (keeping the front amber)
- I will add a dangling rear fog light
- the backup lights (sadly) I will wire to be the turn signals with amber bulbs.
- I will add a dangling backup light or make the above function as both
- I will somehow disable the original red turn signals

I really am not looking forward to cutting on my H3. I will begin probably this coming week as I have assembled almost all I need, and it is covering my dining room table.

I think if I could get a few of the South African pieces it would make my H3 look a bit cleaner / stock. I will ask partsguy if there would be any hope.

Thanks again f5fstop.