H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-19-2003, 04:49 AM

I know that we have had the discussion regarding the trailer brake controller in the past. I attempted to install a Tekonsha prodigy contoller this evening. I removed the driving light plug from the convenience center. connected the brake controller into the convenience center and got a SH reading on the controller. According to the directions this means that "The brake wire sees short at idle condition". Has anyone else used this controller or had a similar problem? What am I forgetting?
Old 02-19-2003, 04:49 AM

I know that we have had the discussion regarding the trailer brake controller in the past. I attempted to install a Tekonsha prodigy contoller this evening. I removed the driving light plug from the convenience center. connected the brake controller into the convenience center and got a SH reading on the controller. According to the directions this means that "The brake wire sees short at idle condition". Has anyone else used this controller or had a similar problem? What am I forgetting?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:49 AM

redrum is off the scale

Doerider,

I am intimately aware of the issue here. Unfortunately most GM technicians are not so asking them will just confuse the issue.

Your trailer brake controller requires 4 wires to work properly
1) + Positive lead
2) – Negative ground
3) Brake light switch
4) Brake controller lead to rear hitch

GM neglected to terminate the brake light switch and brake controller lead in the convenience center. You have a couple options.

Option One:
Locate the brake light switch and brake controller lead (blue and red) wires that are located underneath the fuse box in the engine compartment. You will have to remove the fuse box to get to them. There are four bolts holding the fuse box down.

The easiest way to get them hooked up is to bring them through the firewall to the convenience center or directly to your tekonsha wires.

If you have the grille mounted spotlights, GM plugged their terminating connector into the trailer brake controller location (Top – second from the left) in the convenience center.

You can share that connection for the trailer brake controller and spotlights, by splicing the wires into the spotlight wires but I do not recommend it. Since the only reason you need to use that cavity is because you need (+) and (-), I suggest you pull a (+) and (-) from the engine compartment while you are pulling the brake light switch and brake controller lead. . This way you can use the spotlights and brake controller without sharing the same plug. You can also Find a (+) and (-) on one of the other spare cavities on the convenience center. Just use a 12 volt tester. They are there.

Option Two:
If you don’t want to pull wires from the firewall you can

A) BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH: Connect a wire from your tekonsha to the fuse box located on the left side of the dash near the drivers side door. You will find the “brake light switch” fuse in that fuse box.
B) BRAKE CONTROLLER LEAD: Pull a wire from your tekonsha directly back to the trailer hitch plug and terminate it at the plug.
C) Find a (+) and (-) on one of the other spare cavities on the convenience center.

Option Three:
Take it to an authorized dealer and have them hook it up. You will have to educate the GM personnel about this situation. There are three bulletins out on GM trailer brake connections but they do not apply to the H2. GM changed its wiring harness in 1999 and most GM techs will try to tell you to
A) Just plug in the stock GM 3015 connector.
B) Switch a couple of wires at the terminator or
C) Jump a couple of wires at the terminator.

DOING A,B, OR C WILL GET YOU NOWHERE FAST. THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO THE H2. GM has not yet sent out a TSB specifically for the H2. The GM bulletins apply to other GM trucks.

I can send you complete schematics and pictures if you like.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:16 PM

Redrum, thank you for such a complete explanation. you are right the delaer doesn't have any idea about this. I am glad that you took the time to work through it. This info will save me a lot of time. You mentioned that you had schematics and pictures. That would be great if you could e-mail them to me.jeffmess@gte.net Are the blue and red wire that are under the fuse box difficult to locate once the fuse box has ben removed?

Thank you
Old 02-20-2003, 11:00 AM

redrum is off the scale

Jeff,

I am on a business trip until Saturday. I will get them to you this weekend.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:40 AM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Does Anyone know if this is still a problem???

If so, whats the solution

I'm having my brake controller installed Tuesday.

Jerry
Old 01-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I had my controller installed last July (04). I think the dealerships all know about these issues now. Good Luck. Be sure and test it before your trip with your trailer.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drmiles:
Does Anyone know if this is still a problem???

If so, whats the solution

I'm having my brake controller installed Tuesday.

Jerry <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is only a problem if you have the off-road lamps on the grill guard. Check this past thread. PhilD sorted it all out and explained it.
http://elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=998604222 3&r=9706027223#9706027223