H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm getting a low-pitched squeaking noise when I turn in either direction. The steering fluid is at the right level, and it doesn't sound like what I know a steering pump to sound like when it's low on fluid or going out. Any ideas?
Old 10-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Hummer Authority

I'm getting a low-pitched squeaking noise when I turn in either direction. The steering fluid is at the right level, and it doesn't sound like what I know a steering pump to sound like when it's low on fluid or going out. Any ideas?
Old 10-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

My fathers truck was doing that...I asked if it needed some lube in the joints...but they replaced the ball joint. Have you put lube in any areas? (on your truck that is) *smart ass*
Old 10-07-2005, 03:43 AM

Daveh2 is off the scale

I am experiencing a whining/groaning noise when i turn ans accelerate beyong idle while turning through about 2500 rpm. After that it stops. In park I can recreate when i rev up to 2000 rpm and cycle the steerinf left to right. The dealer has replaced the power steering pump as well as updated the steering box with a new valve that was called for in a technical service bulletin. The fluid if full by the way. The dealer says "Hey its a big truck with big tires" They have given up. Also I have an annoying creek that will not go away when the suspension travels during a turn. Like a creak on the a-arms.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Daveh2 - I have the same front end creak. Supposedly it's one of three things.

- front skid plate not tight enough
- crossmember bolts not tight enough
- A-arm bolts not tight enough.

I've tightened the skid plate and the crossmember but it still does it. This weekend I'll try the A-arms. I did notice that it would stop creaking for a while after a water crossing so something likes being "lubed".
Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 AM

AmericanPatriot is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan:

I've tightened the skid plate and the crossmember but it still does it. This weekend I'll try the A-arms. I did notice that it would stop creaking for a while after a water crossing so something likes being "lubed". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a front creak. Evertime I hop into my hummer I hear it. Have no clue what it is but it annoys the **** out of me.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Hummer Guru

I have the creak too. I turn up the radio.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Hummer Expert

CONRAD II is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same squeaking noise on my sut. I have 17,000 miles and only noticed the squeak in the last 500.

03' White 2 Door H1 Pickup w/ 2in. body lift
05' BLACK SUT SLANTBACK Magnacharged w\ 12lb pulley, 6in. Fabtech lift, tierods, BUILT 4L80E tranny, 5.13 gears
66' VETTE STINGRAY
12' DODGE RAM 2500 CUMMINS 4X4 W/ FRONT & REAR LOCKERS
07' Z06
Old 10-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Hummer Guru

I have had it for as long as I remember, and I have 5100 miles.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:21 AM

Daveh2 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan:

I've tightened the skid plate and the crossmember but it still does it. This weekend I'll try the A-arms. I did notice that it would stop creaking for a while after a water crossing so something likes being "lubed". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine does the same thing as well. During the rain it stops. It (the creak) returns within 20 minutes of dry weather driving. I am going to creak over to my dealer and take the service writer for a cruise. Based on the other good folks that responded that it may be fruitless to get under and start tightening the cross member bolts and skidplate. But knowing me I will most likely be under it tomorrow doing just that. It will bother the crap out of me if I don't make a run at it. I'll keep everyone posted!! "Dan and AmericanPatriot" You guys Rule!
Old 10-08-2005, 01:26 AM

Daveh2 is off the scale

Oh yeah, Conrad II snd Vstomper rule too. Thanks for helping me out.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Hummer Guru

Alright, I fixed the creak this weekend. It was the skid plate. I took it off & checked the a-arm bolts which were tight. Went for a quick ride without the skid plate an and no creak!

I put some anti-sieze lubricant on top around the bolt holes where it mounts, and some on the bolt washer. Reinstalled the plate and tightened the bolts extra tight. No creak!

My skid plate was a b!tch to get back on. It has a few dents in it which apparently messed with the hole alignment.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:40 AM

Daveh2 is off the scale

All of the creaks and clunks were fixed today by the dealer. I will be posting all that was done when I recieve the write up in a few days. I had to run out and they offered to mail it to me. The list is long believe me. In short, my H2 feels just as tight as the day I picked it up. Stay tuned!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daveh2:
I will be posting all that was done when I recieve the write up in a few days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well?

Not that I have done anything of significance to troubleshoot this problem, but it's still there. Again, my squeak is happening only when I turn the wheel while at rest or moving slowly. It does disappear when the truck gets wet, but I don't see how it could be coming from the skid plate or anything other than a part of the sterring mechanism. I guess I've missed a grease zerk somewhere in there.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Hummer Guru

I was pretty positive it was a steering component too, but when you turn the wheel it flexes the front end just enough to make the skid plate creak. Take it off & try it!

Mine is creaking again.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Hummer Authority

Take it off & try it!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I guess I'll give that a try this weekend if the grease job I'm going to give it doesn't work.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:22 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXSUT:
Take it off & try it!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I guess I'll give that a try this weekend if the grease job I'm going to give it doesn't work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you grease all fittings you'll have to remove the skid plate anyway.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
If you grease all fittings you'll have to remove the skid plate anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So when my mechanic (not the dealer) told me he'd lubed every joint, that mofo was lying. Nice.

Thanks for the info, Rod.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
My skid plate was a b!tch to get back on. It has a few dents in it which apparently messed with the hole alignment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Last time I took mine off it took two jacks and some air tools to get it back on. That was before the last Moab trip and right now I can see 2 bolts missing

Mine makes all kinds of noises all over the truck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're missing those bolts because you needed an alignment.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts