H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 11-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind2 is on a distinguished road
Default h1 help

hey folks
im sure its been covered, but my search brought in way too many variables to make it worthwhile, so ill just ask.....
i have an h3 now and was looking to upgrade to an SUT. then i started thinking abt getting like a 1999 or 2000 H1 convertible.
i dont know much at all abt them, but im seeing prices there in the 40's for vehicles with abt 45-65k miles.
are the 2001's substantially different? what do i want to watch out for?
do those model years need anything upgraded or anything?
can u drive these down the highway? someone told me they will only do abt 65mph...?
lastly, what kind of mpg are u folks seeing?
thanks much
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale
Default Re: h1 help

check out the model year changes on the Lynch website:
http://www.lynchhummer.com/changes/h...ges.index.html

any hummer (h1) you get will be noisy, but it's certainly not a bad riding truck (especially considering what it can do out of the box). As far as the year...depends what you will do with it. Do a search here as well as on the HML and you'll get a bunch of info. Flashoffroad.com is an excellent resource as well.

Ron B
Old 11-12-2006, 06:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

Definately do your research! There are differences. Open tops are less noisy than wagons if you have one of the later models with the nicely insulated roofs. I have an 01 and had added lockers. It really does depend on if you just want a street queen or if you intent on serious wheeling. You can get a great deal on a street queen then beef it up for off-road. Also check on the maintenance and make sure it has been kept up. The H1 I bought was only three years old and had always been serviced at the same dealer, who I spoke with directly and they faxed over all the service records to me. Oh yeah, if you can get one with warranty, that is the best way to go. It is definately worth it on the H1.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

thanks for the great info guys, its helped a lot so far.
basically it looks like i will be able to afford an 02 or 03, but really like the 04 for the interior and the front locker. seems to be a big jump in price with the 04's.
i do intend on offroading the truck.
can the front lockers be retrofitted and what kind up upgrades might i wanr? for abt how much...?
can u get 3 or 4 more inches of ground clearance?
also, when its time to buy, is a hummer dealer qualified to thoroghly inspect the vehicle for me? ive seen some careless work out there by some dealerships.
i also talked to dealer and he said getting a warranty is no prob...said its expensive.
i test drove an 03 wagon....i loved it!
i want the convertible and will prob spend between 50 and 60k, and they said they turned down 72 for the one i drove. it had 8k miles and very clean.
awesome....
any more info appreciated.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

The 03 is the first year with a rear factory locker. The 04 had both front and rear. You can get them swapped out, but there are pros and cons to each kind.

There is a ton of info at this site that I have found useful. http://www.flashoffroad.com/humdefault.htm You will find locker info here, or do a websearch for additional info on other sites.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvs
The 03 is the first year with a rear factory locker. The 04 had both front and rear. You can get them swapped out, but there are pros and cons to each kind.

There is a ton of info at this site that I have found useful. http://www.flashoffroad.com/humdefault.htm You will find locker info here, or do a websearch for additional info on other sites.

man, thanks.....
a ton of info....its almost overwhelming.
to be more specific, i can probably afford a clean 03 next spring.
i would like to do the 2" lift, upgrade the half shafts, and add a front locker. probably go with the locker they used for 04 so the front and rear will match if it makes a difference.
anybody have any idea on total cost of that?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:06 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

WHOOOOO. Yeah its gonna be alot of $$$$. For the lift do you want the body or the suspension? Body is gonna cost 500.00 and about 1000.00 to install. 1000.00 on the instal is actually pretty cheap, if you use the dealer factor in alot more $$$. The suspension is about 2400.00, but the install will actually be alot less time consuming. Halfshaft upgrade: 2500.00 in parts, again more $$$ for the install. The locker depends, if you get the eaton I think they are like 5K and a REAL pain in the ass to put in. You would be better off getting the Auburn (for 500) and having it installed in the current diff you have in your truck. That would be the most cost effective, and it does have all the features of the factory Eaton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind2
man, thanks.....
a ton of info....its almost overwhelming.
to be more specific, i can probably afford a clean 03 next spring.
i would like to do the 2" lift, upgrade the half shafts, and add a front locker. probably go with the locker they used for 04 so the front and rear will match if it makes a difference.
anybody have any idea on total cost of that?

-007=
Old 11-13-2006, 03:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
WHOOOOO. Yeah its gonna be alot of $$$$. For the lift do you want the body or the suspension? Body is gonna cost 500.00 and about 1000.00 to install. 1000.00 on the instal is actually pretty cheap, if you use the dealer factor in alot more $$$. The suspension is about 2400.00, but the install will actually be alot less time consuming. Halfshaft upgrade: 2500.00 in parts, again more $$$ for the install. The locker depends, if you get the eaton I think they are like 5K and a REAL pain in the ass to put in. You would be better off getting the Auburn (for 500) and having it installed in the current diff you have in your truck. That would be the most cost effective, and it does have all the features of the factory Eaton.

i would go suspension lift if it keeps the same drivetrain geometry. if not, then a body.
as far as the locker, the 03 doesnt have one in the front to begin to with, so i would go with whatever would work best. i want to make it so i dont have to worry so much about breaking. i figure if im gonna modify it, do it right the first time.
according to the website above, even engines arent all that expensive considering.
what would you guys do with an 03 if you were going to modify it?
ill use it both on the street and offroading it at least once a month.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

For an 03 I would do the following:
Front locker. Personally I would get the Auburn.

Suspension and body lift, make room for 41's.

As far as the half shaft upgrade goes the jury is still out on it. Some people love it and swear buy the increased strength. On the other hand the strength is only increased by 11 or 13%, so its not huge differences. I would do it, owners with the upgrade swear that they do not break.

In an 03 you really should not have to worry about swapping out the engine, it has all the upgrades.

ABS disable switch. This is IMPORTANT. Off road you can "confuse" an ABS computer, under the correct circumstances you can actually lose all breaking abilities due to the computer. By disabling the switch this would no longer be a worry, but you would still have it for the street.

Steel rockers are always nice. They help save those pricey doors from being damages. I sure could have used them last winter.

I'm sure I'll think of more as the night wears on.

-007=
Old 11-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

thanks again guys....
yeah, ive decided to just go for an 04. i love the interior and it has the front and rear lockers.
from there ill raise it, get more aggressive tires, and strengthen what needs to be strengthened, (rock rails etc).
i hope to be able to pay between 50-65k by april.
that should get me into a nice clean 04 vert.

i would love to just say screw it all and just buy the new 06.