H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road
Default sensitive steering problem

hi guys,

got some problem here; I've been lately off-roading my H3 on local moderately bumpy dirtroads and similar not too rough terrain; however I've been driving quite fast, easily up to 70mph and full speed in curves as well - fast enough that a mayor got concerned about safety of others (mainly occasional pedestrians who complained to him repeatedly) and paid me a visit, asking to quit these high speed passes well, anyway - I gradually noticed that my steering behaves weird. It's really sensitive, and the vehicle just sort of swimms on the road a bit, I have to constantly keep it in straight line. There is very little resistance in the steering, I could steer with one finger. It's not loose in the way that the wheel would move without wheels responding, but it's crap ride now.

I took the vehicle to the local Hummer service place; the mechanic checked out the steering and didn't find anything what could be causing the problem, however since the H3 logo on the steering wheel is not straight anymore he suggested the wheels geometry check, I'll go there next week to do it. But, I feel that geometry alone shouldn't make the steering so damn sensitive.

Aside of this problem, while off-roading I also managed to rip off what the mechanic called a "silent block" on the front differential. He'll try to order it, but this shouldn't have impact on steering.

OK, I ordered the H3 service manual from Helminc, however it will take a while till I'll get it because I moved to Europe. I need to fix this steering issue sooner.

Well, any ideas what could be causing the steering problem? What should I check?
Thanks! Any help appreciated.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: sensitive steering problem

I would start with your tires and work back...

Do a rotation of the 5 tires and you could check if there is any noticble difference (aside from the typical) in 2wheel to 4wheel drives.

If the wheels check then go to the rack and back to the pinnion and see if something is out. Many times when the vehicle is up on lift they find play in the wheels from tie rods being out and the like.

Good luck diagnosing the issue.

Have fun
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Hummer Professional

Thanks. I'll try all possibilities, including swapping the tires for another set.. however, I had 2 garages (both specialize in Hummers) to check out the steering already, and so far they didn't find anything out of order. But it is screwed, I can say, I've been driving this H3 since 2007.

The H3 service manuals arrived at our SoCal home doorstep yesterday, I'll get them shipped over here to Europe ASAP. Will be expensive since the package is supposed to weight over 10 pounds, but I need the service manuals since the local shops don't seem to be able to sort it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
I would start with your tires and work back...

Do a rotation of the 5 tires and you could check if there is any noticble difference (aside from the typical) in 2wheel to 4wheel drives.

If the wheels check then go to the rack and back to the pinnion and see if something is out. Many times when the vehicle is up on lift they find play in the wheels from tie rods being out and the like.

Good luck diagnosing the issue.

Have fun
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Hey Dave,
Those manuals are written like military SOP's so be patient when you are reading thru them...
There is lots of good info once you get thru the table of content in the two big books.

Hope you find some value there!
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Hummer Professional

haha can't wait to get them...but I'll be patient

I dropped off my H3 at the shop yesterday, they'll fix the broken rubber part by the front diff (expensive fix, quoted me $250+), and then they'll check the geometry and steering again.... I'm slightly pesimistic about the result, but have some hope... if they won't be able to repair it, the service manuals study will be the next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Hey Dave,
Those manuals are written like military SOP's so be patient when you are reading thru them...
There is lots of good info once you get thru the table of content in the two big books.

Hope you find some value there!
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

I'm just curious...where are you in Europe that there's "2 garages [that] (both specialize in Hummers)?" LOL!