H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Hummer Professional

kalantar is off the scale
Default bearing is out on H2 and Dealer said they wont cover it because I have 37 inch tires

Had new shocks put in and the after market shop said my right bearing is going out. Call the dealer this morning to see if my extended warranty would cover it and they said if you modified the tires you are on your own. This was Tustin Hummer, any fellow owners have experience with this?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bearing is out on H2 and Dealer said they wont cover it because I have 37 inch tires

H2's are known for Hubs going out. I would try a diffenent dealer. That's bad Customer Service if you ask me.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

kchummer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bearing is out on H2 and Dealer said they wont cover it because I have 37 inch tires

Just out of curiousity, what year and how many miles does your H2 have on it?? I've heard they're notorious for the wheel bearings to go to Sh*t even after mild driving conditions....thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Hummer Expert

Mine is an 03. I did both of mine at about 70K miles. Did them both myself and they have lifetime warranties on them. Its actually a pretty easy job.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

kchummer is on a distinguished road

Kalantar, how many miles and year do u got?? just curious?? thanks!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Hummer Professional

it is an 04 with 55k miles on it, put the 37X13.5 tires on them about 10k miles ago. Called another dealer they said it might be covered under warranty, I will take it down to them in a few months time since the play isnt that bad as of now.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'
Mine is an 03. I did both of mine at about 70K miles. Did them both myself and they have lifetime warranties on them. Its actually a pretty easy job.

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for the parts? What exactly does it take to switch it out? thanks...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Changing out hubs isn't a difficult job.... having said that, it should still be covered under warranty. The fact that the tires are taller have NOTHING to do with the bearings going bad.

IF ANYTHING, the taller tires have a larger diameter and rotate less times in one mile than a smaller tire.

Based on that logic, the bearings aren't revolving as much as a stock truck.

Just another way the dealer/warranty tries to screw us.

Mark
Old 04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Hummer Expert

I bought them from Advance Auto Parts. If I remember right I paid like $250 for each of them?? Somewhere in that neighborhood.

Also the Taller the tire the more stress. Taller tires offer more more leverage on the Hub when cornering. Also if you have less offset with aftermarket rims it also causes more stress on Hubs. Think about it you are haning more weight out further from the Hub.
Also dont let your warranty run out before you have them done!! And it is not safe to drive on a bad Hub. Hubs can catch fire.

Replacing them is pretty easy.

1. Remove tire
2. Remove 36MM Nut from axel
3. Flip up break caliper
4. Remove Brake Rotor
5. Unplug and unbolt ABS sensor from control arm.
6. Remove 3 bolts from back of knuckle-It might be 4 bolts Its been a couple years and I do not remember. The hub assembly will fall out.
7. Do steps in reverse order.

Note: You will need 1/2 drives/sockets and and a long breaker bar for this job. And a pipe to slide over the breaker bar. Those bolts are tight as hell. also I torqu'd everything back to 150ft. lbs. Also a couple cold ones will be need aftward as well. The job is relatively easy but requires energy.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

vetteSUT is on a distinguished road

Cold ones are a requirement for any job well done!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:43 AM
Hummer Professional

thanks!
Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Guinnessboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bearing is out on H2 and Dealer said they wont cover it because I have 37 inch ti

go to cerritos hummer right up the freeway, ive had nothing but great dealings with their service dept and they really appreciate the business.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:45 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Biggest problem is with an aftermarket warranty they may send an adjuster out to inspect the truck. His job is to find any reason to deny a claim. Tried to help a guy out with his transmission once and the adjuster came out for an inspection and would not leave until looking under the hood, yup he found the supercharger. Denied. Not the dealer that denied the warranty.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalantar
Had new shocks put in and the after market shop said my right bearing is going out. Call the dealer this morning to see if my extended warranty would cover it and they said if you modified the tires you are on your own. This was Tustin Hummer, any fellow owners have experience with this?

I believe every auto company in the world states in their owner's manual that any modifications to the vehicle will void the warrenty. Given this fact, why would you take the chance of your claim being denied when it's so easy to change the wheels and tires back to the original for the repairs?

I once blew the trans out of a Ferrari after installing a supercharger on it. It took 8 hours to remove it back to stock, but they covered the repairs.

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 04-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guinnessboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: bearing is out on H2 and Dealer said they wont cover it because I have 37 inch ti

legally they can only deny a claim on warranty if the modification directly impacts the failing part.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

what happened to the stock tires?? i wonder what they would say if you put those back on and then took it in????
Old 04-25-2009, 03:37 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'

Also the Taller the tire the more stress. Taller tires offer more more leverage on the Hub when cornering.

I don't buy that..... I think you're right in theory but in reality, a 37 inch tire is 4 inches taller than stock. 2 inches of that is above the axle.

Having said that.... I can't believe that the geometry is affected that much with a 2 inch taller tire.

Like I said, I agree with theory but not in reality. Kinda like saying a waxed truck gets better gas mileage. Yeah, in theory but.....

Mark
Old 04-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

AUHUMMER is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalantar
Do you mind sharing how much you paid for the parts? What exactly does it take to switch it out? thanks...

Got mine at Advance auto parts for about $190 each including tax. Go to gmtruckclub.com and search---there's a great post with pics and step by step instructions. Its pretty basic stuff---hell I could even do it. But, eat your wheaties. Those 22mm bolts holding the calipers and the 15s on the hub are TIGHT. The earlier post is spot -on, you definitely need a breaker bar. I had a clearance problem with the 1/2" drive on the hub bolts and had to use the 3/8" drive. By the time I was done I had busted 2 15mm sockets and 1 ratchet. Good old Sears took 'em back----didn't tell 'em I was using a 3 foot pipe on the ratchet.

Hub bolt is a 35.5 mm but a 1 3/8" will fit great. I used a 3/4" drive socket and big ass breaker bar.

Good luck--