H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

Zoomie is on a distinguished road
Default HELPP!!! Rocky Offroad Rails!

They finally arrived today, of course I have to work for the next two days. The only day I have to work on this is Thanksgiving! And, the only "help" I have is my wife! Great, if I need anything, I'm SOL.

Could someone PLEASE take some pix and post them of their Rocky Offroad rails' installation on both sides. Especially the driver's side. I'm hoping with all the bitching about the quality they have made some modifications, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Y'all have a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks.
GONE:
2001 Vette convert Black on Black on BlackWHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?
2002 Trailblazer (Wife's)
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELPP!!! Rocky Offroad Rails!

Don't worry, I installed mine by myself in the dark. It can be done. For the driver's side you need to bring the rail up from underneath the parking brake cables and slide the mounting brackets behind the cables (cables do not have to be removed). When I was alone I used 2 recycling bins to hold the rail up. Your wife may have a hard time as they are very heavy. Milk crates may also work well. Do not tighten the bolts all the way until they are all threaded in their holes. Start with the bracket to the rear of the vehicle and the top bolt hole then add one bolt to the top hole of the middle bracket and then do the front bracket top bolt hole (by far the hardest of all the bolts). With these three bolts loosely threaded you should be able the shimmy the bottom three bolts in relatively easily. Now tighten all of them up and you are ready to go. It may be difficult at first, it took me an hour in the dark by myself, just be calm and collected and use some TLC and it will work... good luck. I will be posting pictures tommorow of some of my addons.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Exclamation Re: HELPP!!! Rocky Offroad Rails!

Make sure you have the correct bolts too, from all the people I have spoken to and from what they sent me, RRO always sends a set of bolts way too big for the holes on the H3. Do a search on the forum for the correct bolt size.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:28 AM
Hummer Professional

Crash ? is on a distinguished road

Have they ever got the 4th mounting bracket on them or still just using three per side..??

Rob
Old 11-22-2006, 02:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

Three but they look solid and Sewie took them through Moab and they performd well. They have a life time gurantee so if they do bend which I doubt just get a new set.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

Zoomie is on a distinguished road

Since I haven't seen them unwrapped, yet, I think they still have three attachment points. Thanks for all the encouragement! I'll start whacking at these tomorrow! If any blood is shed, I'll be sure to post pictures!
GONE:
2001 Vette convert Black on Black on BlackWHAT WAS I THINKING!?!?
2002 Trailblazer (Wife's)
Old 11-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Hummer Professional

SR1355 is on a distinguished road

Good luck, I put mine on by myself, they are heavy but with a little planning and some blocking you should be able to do it. Make sure you save the packageing to lay on the ground to protect the rails during install.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron
Old 11-24-2006, 07:22 PM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road

I have a suggestion. I work on boats and have come to love using anti-seize compound. If you use it on the bolts it will allow you to remove them later after you plaster them with mud and water or salt if you run the beach or highways with it. If torqued properly you dont need lock tight for this application if you check them. It works too but not as well as an anti-seize because of the quantity you apply.
I agree the bolts were way too long, not wrong size. Its possible to insert a front bolt by hand and then lift up back by yourself. As far as packaging on the floor to protect them? Rock rails? Ok whoever posted that must have had theirs chromed! Mine lined up just right. I dont think the missing attachment was necessary. What I do think I will do is weld some 3 inch wide strap metal under them right under the seam below the doors.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.