H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-21-2006, 04:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

BradO is off the scale
Default Pulling to the right/Rack n Pinion steering?

My 3 was aligned and running fine for the last 6 months/5000 miles. My H3 started pulling to the right a week or two before i tore up the CV and front diff. I got that stuff fixed and had my Toyo M/T 35in tires (T BAR, 2 TURNS) rotated and balanced (Treads and care) and the vehicle aligned at the Hummer dealership. It was still pulling to right. Brought it back in this morning and rode with a tech. He said the pull had to be the tires, Toyo M/T with 5000 miles on them. I explained that i just had them balanced and had the rear tires moved up front. The pull was occuring prior to the alignment with the tires that are now on the rear. Took him for his word though and went back to Treads and Care tire for them to check the alignment/balancing. They went through and said the alignment was out, but it still pulling to the right. They swapped tires across from left to right as well, same pull to the right. They (Treads and care) think it's something bent in the rack and pinion steering. They checked the frame, tie rods, tires, etc. and said everything looked perfect. Called the dealership back and asked what they thought. They said it's unlikely to be the rack and pinion steering. But they didn't have any other ideas except to try to align again and look again underneath. Treads and care seems to at least have an idea, but Hummer seems to think otherwise. Any ideas what might be causing the issue?
Old 11-21-2006, 05:04 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pulling to the right/Rack n Pinion steering?

Check his thread out:

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20995

I had a pulling problem. Sort of resolved it by tuning the t-bars to correct for the pull. havent gotten it completely out, but if I try i might be able to.

dont know if we have teh same problem, but all my dealer did is 2 alignments and gave up. i have the stock wrangler tires.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on road surfaces, all vehicles should pull slightly to one side or the other. The majority of roads should have a crown to either left or right for water runoff, so if the alignment is dead on, and you are traveling roads with crowns to the right, then the vehicle will slightly pull to the right. If the crown is to the left, it will slightly pull to the left.

One thing to check with the dealer is that they have loaded the latest specs into their machine. I believe in Feb, the alignment specs were updated by GM/Hummer.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Hummer Veteran

BradO is off the scale

Thanks for the thread and info. Same roads for the past year were fine. It was after i slammed around in some mud in Sept and later in Oct tore up the CV axle and front diff. My 2 has 37in Toyo's without issue as well. The 3 was fine until recently. The pull is not slight or gradual, it is immediate like a 15 degree tilt in the steering wheel to the right. If i hold the wheel straight, it drives straight. When i let go, the steering wheel kicks to the right as does the 3. It wasn't like that prior to Sept. I have had 5 alignments and balance my tires every 1-2 months due to off roading. So f5fstop, what are your thoughts on the rack n pinion thing? I have elinimated roads, alignment specs, tires, tie rods, and frame/body damage. T-bars were adjusted previously (2 turns) and have not been re-checked. That could be something to look at if it would cause an immediate pull. Is there anything else that could cause this type of pull? Thank you again for your responses.