H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

Has anyone had any experience with or knowledge about the H3 Wilderness roof rack from Garvin Industries that H2parts.com is selling? At first blush, this looks like a pretty nice rack (I think I thought the same thing about my wife when I first saw her too).

Is this basically the 4" high sports rack? Or is it the taller 6" version? How difficult is it to install? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Has anyone had any experience with or knowledge about the H3 Wilderness roof rack from Garvin Industries that H2parts.com is selling? At first blush, this looks like a pretty nice rack (I think I thought the same thing about my wife when I first saw her too).

Is this basically the 4" high sports rack? Or is it the taller 6" version? How difficult is it to install? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen them on Cherokees but not on a Hummer yet. They seem pretty good for the price. My only complaint (from the picture) is that it doesn't go all the way to the front. I want a rack I can mount lights on.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Hummer Novice

KCJohn is off the scale

I have the GOBI stealth rack... great looking!!! Sturdy!!

You should really think about this rack!

I have a picture attached.
Attached Images

Factory Rocker Panel Guards
Gobi Stealth Rack
Gobi Lader
Driving Lights(4)
Flood Lights (rear)
Tail Light Guards
Predator winch package
Old 11-11-2005, 02:04 AM

Edspad is off the scale

The GOBI stealth rack is a great rack, i just cant get over the the $1k plus price tag. im looking at the Wilderness rack as well as a future purchase.all though it might look funny with lights mounted and sitting so far back from the from cab.
wilderness roof rack
Ive read the rack mounts inside the rail system of the H3. not on the crossbows.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:27 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now THAT'S what I'm looking for! you just saved me a day's work! I'd love to see one in person to see if it passes muster. I'll probably sand blast it, grind the welds smooth and have it powder coated. I'm a stickler for purty, especially when it's looking you in the face like that. Thanks Edspad!!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:02 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Huck BB62:
Now THAT'S what I'm looking for! you just saved me a day's work! I'd love to see one in person to see if it passes muster. I'll probably sand blast it, grind the welds smooth and have it powder coated. I'm a stickler for purty, especially when it's looking you in the face like that. Thanks Edspad!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure you could weld that fruit basket up in about 5 minutes for $100. If your looking for a cheaper rack, than as far as looks and quality goes check out YAKIMA Look under gear basket at the Mega Load Warrior. and also try THULE and look at the Moab.

If I wasn't into the GOBI racks, I would go with one of those before the wilderness.one. I had a YAKIMA Load WARRIOR on my GC and had a 33" tire on it and it was solid. The downfall is they attach to the factory crossbows.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

Brian H is off the scale

I think it should be a rule that everyone has to show their racks. Good idea?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Edspad:
The GOBI stealth rack is a great rack, i just cant get over the the $1k plus price tag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my hang-up as well. I'd prefer a Gobi, but they are just too much $$$ for me (I've just sunk a bunch of cash on the rocker panel panel protection and the underbody protection kit). So as Steve Martin would say: "I'll take the cheaper chicken"

I like the fact that the rack only covers the back half of the roof and doesn't mount on the crossbows (keeps the height of the truck down...and I want it to be able to fit inside my garage. I've looked at the Thule and Yakima racks too, they are nice but they all attach to the crossbows.

So far the Wilderness rack seems to be what I've been looking for, I may take the leap and order it.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:33 AM

4churchill is off the scale

GOBI is the only way to go, I wouldn't recommend anything else!!!!!!

That is all!!

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 11-12-2005, 02:27 AM

Edspad is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GOBI is the only way to go, I wouldn't recommend anything else!!!!!!

That is all!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yea your right gobi is the best.BUT like my Uncle $1400 Kimber vs my 2 springfields $700 1911's they both work just as well as each other. But for the price ive got one for each hand
(Off Topic) 4churchill do you have any sound/video clips of your Flow Master Series 50
exhaust? i would really like to see/hear your mod.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Hummer Expert

Over Thanksgiving I installed the H3 Wilderness roof rack on my H3. I have to say that it was an easy install and the rack itself is very well made. All I need to do now is get a mounting bracket and I can finally have a place for my Hi-Lift jack.

Here's one of the pictures I took of the install (I'll post a few more in the photo section):
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2005, 12:50 PM

Edspad is off the scale

Nice...the profile is perfect. what was your Cost $ and whom did you order from ? if you dont mind

Old 11-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Hummer Expert

Thanks. I really do like the look that the rack gives the Hummer. For a number of months I’ve been looking for a well constructed utilitarian roof rack that mounts to the roof rails (as opposed to the cross-bars). This one fits the bill for me.

I got mine through h2parts.com and with shipping it was about $530. While I love the Gobi racks, I just couldn’t justify paying $1500.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

medicjeff is off the scale

hey there darthkarl, i too was looking at that rack. have you noticed much wind noise coming from it. looks great btw.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by medicjeff:
have you noticed much wind noise coming from it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So far I haven't noticed any noise at all. I was concerned about wind noise with some of the soild sided racks that are starting to show up, so I went with the open rail type (its also a lot easier to tie things off with)

This is a solid usable product, well worth the $$$
Old 11-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good. I was looking at those racks too.

You'll have to post some more pics when you get the hi-lift mounted up there.

Old 12-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Get a GOBI! nuffsaid!
Also available is SS!
I've seen 5 guys walking on the roof!
1 tuff rack!

Old 12-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJ H2:
Get a GOBI! nuffsaid!
Also available is SS!
1 tuff rack! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some lucky people get them for free

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJ H2:
Get a GOBI! nuffsaid!
Also available is SS!
1 tuff rack! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some lucky people get them for free </div></BLOCKQUOTE>