H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-19-2013, 02:24 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Interior Door Handle trim help

I am wondering if anyone knows how to take the interior trim off around the door handle.
This would be the bucket it sits in that includes the grab handle and the back plate, all on the arm rest/interior door panel

If you dont know how, maybe you might have an exploded view of the door or door handle area so I can try to investigate from there

Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Interior Door Handle trim help

The interior handle doesn't sit in a bucket it's out in the open. The door panel surrounds most of it. Pretty much everything is the door panel. You can remove the one screw behind the release handle then the 2 bolts behind that to free the door panel then pop the whole thing off.

Not sure what you're needing to get at but that is apparently the process for removing the door panels.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJac963
The interior handle doesn't sit in a bucket it's out in the open. The door panel surrounds most of it. Pretty much everything is the door panel. You can remove the one screw behind the release handle then the 2 bolts behind that to free the door panel then pop the whole thing off.

Not sure what you're needing to get at but that is apparently the process for removing the door panels.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

jmudler is on a distinguished road

I am assuming you are painting the door trim (from your other thread). You will need a way to heat the plastic tabs GM melts to assemble the door panel. I used a very small butane torch vs a heat gun. I found it easier to control where I wanted the heat focused.

To paint the buckets you will need to loosen the tabs in the picture attached in red. I heated and used needle nose pliers to pinch the blobs and mold tabs.

The handle is super simple to remove via screws to the metal plate. The blue circles illustrate where the handle screws in. This area is prone to cracked or broken mounts. I had to use metal (in yellow) (radio back strap material works great) and screw it to the bottom of the arm pad and to the handle on the other end

Then reassemble by re-melting the tabs. It is not a super easy job. Take your time. Watch your heat, you can very easily melt the the texture on the other side of the door panel. I also siliconed the crap all the other joints on the back of the door panel to quiet down the rattle/creaking sounds.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

On ebay (where I stole the picture above) is several additional photos of what I was attempting to illustrate for the left and right front doors.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

SMITH23H2SUT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmudler
I am assuming you are painting the door trim (from your other thread). You will need a way to heat the plastic tabs GM melts to assemble the door panel. I used a very small butane torch vs a heat gun. I found it easier to control where I wanted the heat focused.

To paint the buckets you will need to loosen the tabs in the picture attached in red. I heated and used needle nose pliers to pinch the blobs and mold tabs.

The handle is super simple to remove via screws to the metal plate. The blue circles illustrate where the handle screws in. This area is prone to cracked or broken mounts. I had to use metal (in yellow) (radio back strap material works great) and screw it to the bottom of the arm pad and to the handle on the other end

Then reassemble by re-melting the tabs. It is not a super easy job. Take your time. Watch your heat, you can very easily melt the the texture on the other side of the door panel. I also siliconed the crap all the other joints on the back of the door panel to quiet down the rattle/creaking sounds.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:06 PM

actually that is exactly what i am trying to do - THANK YOU!!!

given I am also thinking, if it is hard to just remove the panels. was thinking to remove the panels from the interior door, this way i can just tape and paint and not worry about any overspray in the cabin

any instructions on how to easily remove the door panels
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

That's the information I've been looking for over the course of about 2 years. Apparently no one has any solid information on removing the panels.

The word is just as I described above. Pull the small access panel from behind the interior door handle, remove the 2 bolts behind that panel and start pulling the panel away from the door to pop the retainers free.

Still never seen pics, only pics I've seen are after the panel has been removed.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:28 AM

fyr145 is on a distinguished road

Here is a zip file on removing H2 doors with some drawing type pics.

Don't know if this will help or not........
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hummer H2 Door Panel Removal.zip (83.0 KB, 623 views)
Old 06-22-2013, 06:32 AM

fyr145 is on a distinguished road

Here's all I got on the doors.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001a.jpg (48.1 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg 002a.jpg (75.4 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg 003a.jpg (56.5 KB, 521 views)
File Type: jpg 004a.jpg (62.1 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg 005a.jpg (59.2 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg 006a.jpg (72.0 KB, 508 views)
Old 06-22-2013, 12:27 PM

WOW thats it???
THANKS FYR!!!
LoJac, you werent kidding.

Amazing to see that the whole door panel and everything that I grab and pull and put all my weight on is held together by a couple of screws and a few plastic clips.

Thanks all.
Does anyone know of a good paint for this project?
At first I thought of regular paint, but then after riding in the truck yesterday with my German Shepherd and knowing how crazy she can get looking out the window.... I thought maybe I should use something stronger.
I think Guruerror used line-x on his interior..... I was thinking of using their new spray on stuff for mine.....
Basically I just dont want to end up doing this over after when it rubs or chips off like it has in the first decade of life

Any advice
Old 06-29-2013, 04:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

SEM products. You can find them at Summit racing. YouTube has good vids too using SEM products