H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

jmudler is on a distinguished road
Default A/C temp - what is yours?

I put a thermometer in my A/C vent and about 68 is the coldest the air is blowing out (driving on the interstate). It is a tad better after I replaced the condenser (punctured it doing the radiator/tranny cooler mod ). before I replace any other components or add electric fans, I am curious what other H2 owner are experiencing.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:58 PM

fyr145 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A/C temp - what is yours?

You also might want to check to see if you have the correct level of refrigerant in the system. You said you punctured it while doing your mod, then I would first suspect some of the refrigerant escaped and now your system is low.

Sometimes low amounts can effect the cooling ability, the compressor cant cool it completely because there's not enough 134a in the system. Any A/C kit can tell you what you have currently.

According to the service manual, R134a fill capacity is 1.6lbs. Here is a link of a pic of what the book says:
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42576

Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

Not to mention most times when you open up the AC system there are other relatively cheap parts that are good to replace also. Mainly the dryer and evap block.

I've done full a full AC system change on my previous vehicle after having a compressor go bad.

Also it's not just the refrigerant that needs to be checked, there is also oil in the system.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks guys. And yes, I heard the wonderful PISSSSS sound when I punctured it. I should have mentioned, I had a shop do the repair and I double checked the refrigerant level and it is good, per the gauge.

I bought the H2 two months ago and the A/C is operating about the same before and after condenser replacement (tad better now).

My expedition blows air down to 55 degrees, and I want to mimic that same performance. I am very curious what others are experiencing in their H2 before I start replacing/adding more parts to ultimately achieve nothing.

I would be grateful, if someone could place a meat thermometer in their A/C vent and let me know what your reading is (set on 60 degree).
Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road

My AC with new freon and new equipment blows down to about 38-45 degrees according my thermometer I have stuck in the vent.
Given if I put my air on high fan speed, it doesnt show it as cold (weird huh?)
but If it is maybe showing 2-4 bars of fan speed.... 38-45

And thats with 90-100 degree southern Mississippi humid heat outside.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Hummer Expert

That's due to the higher volume of air trying to be cooled. Here in AZ during the summer putting your AC on full blast does nothing. As you mentioned the air is actually warmer than turning the fan down.

I have to run out for gas so I'll put my thermocouple from my multi meter in my vent and see what it gets to.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:08 AM
Hummer Expert

ok these readings are off my Klein multi meter with the thermocouple stuck in the driver side center vent.

AC set to 60 with the fan one mark over middle. Current temp while driving was 107 degrees outside.

The drive to the gas station is about a mile so once I got to the gas station I left it idling as I ran to the window.

When I got back at idle it was running: 55 degrees.

During the drive back the lowest it got was: 42.1 degrees.

Looking at the temps you posted I'd say something is going on. When I was having many issues with my GTO it would run in the 60's fully engaged. After a complete swap: compressor (AC Delco), evap block, dryer, basically everything except the condenser which I flushed the hell out of, oh and all the O-rings. After all of that finally the temps dropped.

I had even taken it to multiple AC shops who said the system was fine. You may have had contaminents enter the system when the condenser was punctured you never know.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by LoJac963 : 07-03-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks guys....I will explore what the culprit maybe.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Elcova Rookie

MJB_Hummer is off the scale

Is your clutch staying engaged or is it cycling when the AC is on?
Mine was cycling and I was only getting warm air. Charging the refrigerant did not help.
I found a service bulletin from ACDelco with regards to AC blowing warm air: http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pd...sb_03D-128.pdf

Per this bulletin, replaced the A/C Low Pressure Cycling Switch and now my air is back to ICE cold! The switch is only $22 dollars at your local auto parts store, so worth a try! Only takes a few minutes to swap out.