H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Need the GURUs - Starting issues and gas smell

Hey all,
As the subject line stated, I am having some issues.
I have used my Torque and ELM327 to read if there are any codes and none seem to pop up.

The problem has been going on for the last week or so. Here are what I have found out and done so far:

1) Originally the truck started without issue, but the idle would cycle 800-1000-800-1000.... but if I pushed on the gas it went away and didnt come back.

2) The truck started to cycle the starter longer or harder then it normally should. I would turn the key and the truck would try to start with the starter turning but then finally it would start.

3) The long cycling starter become one that it would cycle until the truck would stop it from cycling from not starting. Then as soon as I turned the key engine it would start right up.

So I pulled apart the intake and used CRC throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush to get the carbon off the butterfly and around the opening.
Seemed to be ok for a start or two, but then it was back to the same thing again. The difference is this time I dont see the engine rev cycling anymore. So I went and grabbed 3 bottles of seafoam and ran it through the tank. Never saw any smoke out the rear and I ran the engine hard.

After all that I am seeing that it is still having a hard time starting, cycling the starter once then it turning off and then on the second attempt to start it... finally starting.

There is a new issue also that popped up just in the last few days, I am smelling a heavy gas smell from the rear. It is only there breifly after I shut the truck off. I dont see anything on the ground to indicate a leak

So I am wondering what you guys might think

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2013, 10:37 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need the GURUs - Starting issues and gas smell

Check fuel pump pressure maybe ?

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40523
Old 08-11-2013, 07:30 PM

Ed, and the other Gurus'

Ok let me ask you this....

I am now noticing that the gas smell is still present at the rear of the truck even after the truck is turned off for some time. Again no signs of a gas leak, so I am curious if maybe the reason why I am having a starting issue is because it is a sealed system and somehow the seal somewhere is bad and letting out the gas vapor smell while also not allowing the system to pressurize until 2-3 cycles of the key

(I havent gotten a fuel pressure gauge yet, but I am asking because this just came to mind as the possible problem)

Also I saw where to hook up to check the FPR, but where is it located to replace it on our rigs?

Last edited by jsbihn : 08-11-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:11 PM

?? bump ??
Old 08-14-2013, 06:07 AM

fyr145 is on a distinguished road

If youre smelling fuel towards the rear of the vehicle, 3 things come to mind.

1. Possibly the vapor recovery tube is loose. Its that thin narrow tube either next to or along the main fuel inlet piping that goes from the inlet towards the fuel tank.

2. Bad seal gasket on the fuel cap. Today's gas caps are vented and have that round rubberized gasket to help create a seal at the fuel opening.

3. cracked fuel tank......possible but unless you see fuel leaking, not probable.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM

actually I thought it was the rear but now I am starting to think it is in the front.
Not sure.

I can smell it come through the a/c when the a/c is sucking in fresh air from out side.
not so much if it is on recycle.

It is driving me nuts trying to track down this issue.

Help!!!!

(btw thanks for the answer fyr, I will try to check it out later today .... since it is 5am now)
Old 08-16-2013, 11:24 AM

Ok tracked down the smell of the gas.
It is from my drivers side rear.... basically when I sniffed around I could smell it with the engine running in the left wheel well.

So I guess I need to follow what fyr said, of course.

The other issue that I have seen is that over the past few days, it doesnt take as much to start. Before where it could have taken 3 cycles with the key and originally where it took a really long cycle, now it seems to start up almost without difficult. May just a quick second longer then a normal start.

So where should I start looking and tracking?
It seems weird, almost like another H2 gremlin.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:39 PM

fyr145 is on a distinguished road

well, IF its one of the 3 issues that came to mind, then i'd start at the easiest one to look for and work toward the more illusive ones.

if its the vapor recovery tube, then you'll have to get under the rig with a flashlight and small mirror (maybe use a telescoping type like mechanics use) and start at the fuel neck and look for wet/damp areas that would indicate a leak. Work your way downward towards the tank. The vapor recovery tube should be right around that main fuel tube. Take your time and look at BOTH tubes to see if there are any leaks.

On the other hand, IF its the gas cap, simply replacing the gas cap will solve that problem as they are vented but then you'll know that with the new cap, you have a fresh gasket that seals the rim of the fuel inlet.

Lastly, if after you've looked at the tubes, move toward the top of the tank right where the filler tube meets up with the fuel tank itself and start from there. Again, take your time and look closely for any kind of wetness or dampness that would indicate a leak. If you're smelling it, then the remnants of a leak would be present. Remember that the leak doesn't have to be huge, just a small enough of a leak can make you smell the fuel.

I don't recall what year your H2 was, but if its that fuel filler tube, I have the part numbers for you.

The area I am referencing is part #5, note the vapor recovery tube on top.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

jmudler is on a distinguished road

Check out the vapor canister too while you are at it (same spot). You normally would have a check engine light or error code 0455/0456