Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > Other Off-Roading Vehicles

Old 05-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

DTHVLY is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by HoKC:
Ground Clearance that would not even clear the log crossing on our track.

Just to compare, it's got an inch more ground clerance and a better break over angle than the H3.

Clearance on 33" Tires
FJ - 10.1"
H3 - 9.1"

Breakover
FJ – 28.9*
H3 – 25*

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
Strange, the halfshafts go UP to the hubs instead of downward. The suspension looks like ground clearance wasn't even considered.

That’s kind of odd but it does allow for more lift without stressing the CV’s.

Quote:
Originally posted by HoKC:
Notice that part of the skid plate is a screen looking material. That is what it actually looks like, guaranteed to catch on everything and tear off.

That's was the first thing I thought when the 04’ 4runner came out with that engine and skid, ”rockbait” but I guess those were put in to allow air flow to the under side of engine/oilpan. There is an optional frame mounted skid plate for the FJ that covers that one, and for the more hardcore there are some aftermarket ones in the works
Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 AM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why the FJ Cruiser is no Threat to the H3

Sorry but I still don't know why one would want a shifter instead of a button. I may just be simple, but dmn it's quick and easy. When time is of the essence I'll take the button.

One thing I haven't heard anything about is the TCS on the FJ. That's one thing on all hummer's that makes a huge difference.

I'd really like to wheel with one, just to compare.

but I don't think my 3 will let me down!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

I have yet to find an FJ Cruiser to wheel with. Here in Edwards, I see so many of these things (they're so ugly, I want to puke) and it's all like these guys who own the bikes shops or whatever. I see some Hummers here (actually, there is a really nice H1 wagon what a chick drives), but H3's mostly just pass on the interstate. Apparently everyone thinks they are too fuel hungry.

But anyway, I found Edmunds.com long term test introduction interesting. They are pretending to have an open mind about the vehicle, and already they're saying this:

Current Odometer: 1,912
Best Fuel Economy: 19.1 mpg
Worst Fuel Economy: 11.8 mpg
Average Fuel Economy (over the life of the vehicle): 16.9 mpg

I'm surprised to see it does that poorly for basically a two-seater.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115586
Old 06-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Hummer Authority

ShaggyX is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say the crappy fuel mileage is at least partially because it is quick for an SUV. More power means less MPG in most cases.

Also...out of curiousity...how many H2's did you see off-road in the first 2 or 3 months of its production? Adam and Alec were pretty quick to take theirs' off road...and even they waited 4 months or so IIRC.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyX
I would say the crappy fuel mileage is at least partially because it is quick for an SUV. More power means less MPG in most cases.

Also...out of curiousity...how many H2's did you see off-road in the first 2 or 3 months of its production? Adam and Alec were pretty quick to take theirs' off road...and even they waited 4 months or so IIRC.

At least give me room for four passengers and crappy mileage. For example, the BMW X5 has a base 3.0 V6 that is poorer with mileage than the 4.4 V8 with VVT. So more power doesn't always mean less economy. The 4.4 X5 weighs 4927lbs. (curb) and is 16/22 according to EPA. The FJ 4WD automatic: 4295lbs (curb) with EPA est. 17/21. So you get two extra cylinders in the X5, another 700 lbs, .4 more liters and better MPG.

However, Edmunds observed 14.1 with the 4.4 in a power-bashing comparo, versus 15.88 in the Xterra/FJ showdown for the FJ at probably normal speeds.

Still, lb/lb, liter/liter it has less engine, poorer mileage. But maybe it's not fair to compare V6/V8 even if the V8 gets better mileage.

I'd pose to you, how many H3's did you see off-road within three months of the release? The H2 is a different animal in my opinion. I just want to see one of these things in action, and not stuck in a mudpit somewhere while rodeo music blares. http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...4&categoryId=1
Old 06-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubs
At least give me room for four passengers and crappy mileage. For example, the BMW X5 has a base 3.0 V6 that is poorer with mileage than the 4.4 V8 with VVT. So more power doesn't always mean less economy. The 4.4 X5 weighs 4927lbs. (curb) and is 16/22 according to EPA. The FJ 4WD automatic: 4295lbs (curb) with EPA est. 17/21. So you get two extra cylinders in the X5, another 700 lbs, .4 more liters and better MPG.

However, Edmunds observed 14.1 with the 4.4 in a power-bashing comparo, versus 15.88 in the Xterra/FJ showdown for the FJ at probably normal speeds.

Still, lb/lb, liter/liter it has less engine, poorer mileage. But maybe it's not fair to compare V6/V8 even if the V8 gets better mileage.

I'd pose to you, how many H3's did you see off-road within three months of the release? The H2 is a different animal in my opinion. I just want to see one of these things in action, and not stuck in a mudpit somewhere while rodeo music blares. http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...4&categoryId=1

Attached Images

Old 06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Hummer Guru

The Green Lantern is an unknown quantity at this point

Now, that looks more like an FJ!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Hummer Authority

You can fit 4 Adults in an FJ fine...the door is kind of a pain, but there is room. Also, like you said...Real world mileage for the FJ is better then then BMW.

The only time I have seen an H3 off-road is Moab...April 06. So what is that...10 months after release (no idea what the actual release date was...just guessing June 05)? Does that mean that they weren't off-road before then? No. Does the fact that you haven't seen FJ's off-road mean they haven't been? No.

Besides...last I heard you thought a paved road going over a pass was a "scary trail"...so it might be hard to see other trucks off-road if you don't go off-road yourself...right? Just sayin.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

The ArchiTexan is on a distinguished road

Old 06-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
You can fit 4 Adults in an FJ fine...the door is kind of a pain, but there is room. Also, like you said...Real world mileage for the FJ is better then then BMW.

The only time I have seen an H3 off-road is Moab...April 06. So what is that...10 months after release (no idea what the actual release date was...just guessing June 05)? Does that mean that they weren't off-road before then? No. Does the fact that you haven't seen FJ's off-road mean they haven't been? No.

Besides...last I heard you thought a paved road going over a pass was a "scary trail"...so it might be hard to see other trucks off-road if you don't go off-road yourself...right? Just sayin.

I should hang you by your toenails and apply some tar and feathers for that last comment! I said it was a scary road. And you go up there and drive it. Your skinny-@ss Xterra can probably fit through just fine. I'll bring a convoy of H2's and H1's to meet you about halfway and see how you like it then. It's not my fault the H2 is a fat-@ss.

I thought it was agreed that only double amputees were to try to sit in the back of an FJ. Oh wait, I forgot that Shaggy also considers adults to be cyber-chat-love-bots. So, yes, you could probably fit about 20 of those in there.

The H3's littered the last event I went to with my dealership which was in October, or 5 months following release of the H3. (I don't understand what I said that has led to this. I just want to find an FJ that will go wheeling.) At the last Toyota dealership event, I saw a camry with nice 22's and some FJ's climbing over the curb. Oh wait, they don't have events...

And that mileage thing, EPA says it's even. Edmunds probably floored the poor X5 and babied the fragile FJ. Even if the FJ is quick, if it handles like a marshmallow in the slalom, what's the fun of having speed? So you can have the VSC Nanny apply the brakes and start flashing the idiot lights? I'm just surprised it doesn't do better on fuel, 'tis all.

BTW, I have thrown a Land Cruiser into some hard turns, and the thing goes nuts. Everything flashes, beeps, and the brakes go on. I mean, it's probably trying to save my life, but it's annoying. And it's not meant to be abused.

Last edited by Aubs : 06-06-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Hummer Guru

BlueTJCO has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I should hang you by your toenails and apply some tar and feathers for that last comment! I said it was a scary road. And you go up there and drive it. Your skinny-@ss Xterra can probably fit through just fine. I'll bring a convoy of H2's and H1's to meet you about halfway and see how you like it then. It's not my fault the H2 is a fat-@ss.

I thought it was agreed that only double amputees were to try to sit in the back of an FJ. Oh wait, I forgot that Shaggy also considers adults to be cyber-chat-love-bots. So, yes, you could probably fit about 20 of those in there.

The H3's littered the last event I went to with my dealership which was in August, or three months following release of the H3. At the last Toyota dealership event, I saw a camry with nice 22's and some FJ's climbing over the curb. Oh wait, they don't have events...

And that mileage thing, EPA says it's even. Edmunds probably floored the poor X5 and babied the fragile FJ. Even if the FJ is quick, if it handles like a marshmallow in the slalom, what's the fun of having speed? So you can have the VSC Nanny apply the brakes and start flashing the idiot lights? I'm just surprised it doesn't do better on fuel, 'tis all.

BTW, I have thrown a Land Cruiser into some hard turns, and the thing goes nuts. Everything flashes, beeps, and the brakes go on. I mean, it's probably trying to save my life, but it's annoying. And it's not meant to be abused.

BTW, a well set up Land Crus. would eat you both for lunch.......
Old 06-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncricket
BTW, a well set up Land Crus. would eat you both for lunch.......

Hahaha! In your dreams!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern
Now, that looks more like an FJ!!!

That's the FJ SR5 Limited, comes with chrome package and roof mounted grocery rack.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Hahaha! In your dreams!
Put me in a stock FJ with just the option package (i.e. Rear Locker) and I could eat you and your H2 for lunch. Hell...I could probably do that with my crap-Terra.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Hahaha! In your dreams!

no, not in my dreams.............

do you seriously not understand how bad ass a Land Cruiser is.......
Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

I only drove one for two years... I never saw the "awesomeness" in it. Unless you mean modifying it. They're expensive things to begin with, have side steps that would come off on a curb, the trailer hitch drags on everything, and the 4WD was no where near as good as my H2. It's a grocery getter!

Last edited by Aubs : 06-06-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

Quote:
Put me in a stock FJ with just the option package (i.e. Rear Locker) and I could eat you and your H2 for lunch. Hell...I could probably do that with my crap-Terra.

You just wait Shaggy. You have it coming my friend. You and your cyber-chat-love-bots. You'll rue the day!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Hummer Guru

here you go,
Attached Images