H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

While at my favorite car wash in Pasadena where I pay $20 for a hand wash one of the workers felt the need to take a razor blade to my rear driver's side window to "help" remove some grime. When he was done there were nine long scratches in the tint. I showed the manager the damage and he requested that I take it to the dealer to get an estimate. They can't buff the scratches out so they said I would need a new window. $956 for this little window!! The car wash paid for it (I still go there) but I could not believe how high this was. They did try to push non-GM glass on me, which I declined so I ended up with the real stuff. Has anyone else broken that rear quarter window or any other windows? What was your cost to repair? I now have a small crack in my windshield but am not so anxious to get it fixed if it is this expensive.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Hummer Expert

While at my favorite car wash in Pasadena where I pay $20 for a hand wash one of the workers felt the need to take a razor blade to my rear driver's side window to "help" remove some grime. When he was done there were nine long scratches in the tint. I showed the manager the damage and he requested that I take it to the dealer to get an estimate. They can't buff the scratches out so they said I would need a new window. $956 for this little window!! The car wash paid for it (I still go there) but I could not believe how high this was. They did try to push non-GM glass on me, which I declined so I ended up with the real stuff. Has anyone else broken that rear quarter window or any other windows? What was your cost to repair? I now have a small crack in my windshield but am not so anxious to get it fixed if it is this expensive.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:52 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

It must had been an old H1 army surplus window at government pricing.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:32 AM

Humnet is off the scale

I had that window shattered by a rock from a lawn trimmer and it cost around $560 to replace. Now I'm wondering if it's GM glass or not.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Buckeye,

Take it from a guy that makes em. My company tempers, bends, liquifies, etc. glass for the commercial, residential, and automotive industry. Except for the windshield, my cost to make that window(as with any glass mfg.) is
around $40-$45Canadian. Aboot $20+ of your US money. And that's just for 1! Any amounts over 500 pieces and there is a volume discount.

I suspect it would be considerably alot cheaper from China or a 3rd world country, but I'm sure GM knows that.

Pretty ****ty way to make money eh?

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Hummer Professional

HUMMERDOGG is an unknown quantity at this point

In addition to all the cost cutting at GM via the removal of the hanger hooks, wheel cap color, underhood light, etc... (See the Hanger Hooks thread: http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=5106011751&m=625606109 3 )

which we have determined is a true money saver for GM, I now see where there money maker side is... That is just ridiculous that a $10-$20 piece of glass should cost $956. What is that? a 5000%-6000% mark-up??? Pathetic, truly pathetic...

*member of the "No Hummer Krew"*
Old 08-09-2003, 12:40 PM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

I think I pay about $20 extra a year, per car, for glass coverage on my auto insurance. I can see now that it is really worth it.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:09 PM

NCHummerman is off the scale

How do you get a hand wash for $20.00 ? The best that I can find up here in the SF BAy Area is $40.00 for just the outside and $5.00 extra for the interior, and the wash job is marginal at best .... In fact, most of the car washes will not even wash my H2! They tell me that it is too much work .... A friend of mine in Conn. told me that he uses a high power pressure washer to wash his and he does not even have to sponge it !?!?

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Old 08-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2 007 is off the scale

Are many people using the automatic all cloth car washes these days? I just took mine through for the first time a couple of weeks ago and while it was a tight fit, it did a good job for the most part.

2003 White Hummer H2
Old 08-10-2003, 12:01 PM

SONA is off the scale

Be careful, some pressure washers will ruin the gelcoat and some take off paint. My pressure washer came with specific instructions warning of this danger...

"Life is tough... tougher if youre stupid." "Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgement. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life"
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 08-10-2003, 12:20 PM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

Yea the glass only cost $20-30 now figure in a day of labor at $50-75/hour.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:58 PM
Hummer Professional

SOFTTAILJC is off the scale

all glass on hummer is solar controled, so more expensive to make.... crinamex makes the glass for g. m., a mexican company... you don't have to go to dealers to get factory glass... any good glass shop will be able to get g.m. glass directly from crinamex... all glass has a big mark up...i could give you prices in boston area, but of course it will vary from place to place..... for me to have a windshield replaced in mass. $533.00......rear quarter glass installed$594.00......power window glass installed $470.00...rear window installed $645.00.......this price list is from a big glass dealer on the east coast....if you look close at your glass on hummer you will see crinamex label......soft
Old 08-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

My factory is in Canada (22,000sq/ft)

It is not cheap to manufacture here. GM glass is a "LOW-E Solar Temper 20-30%" type glass.
Very common, very cheap.

Our retail price - $4.70CAN per square foot
Sentinal USA price-$2.40US per square foot
Old Castle price - $2.55US per square foot

DuraMax,
All production of these types are 90% AUTOMATED
and if it takes my guy $50 in labour for a 10 minute job, well....

Soft,
The Hummer's driverside and rearview mirror are Solar reactive, slightly more expensive.
I believe the driver and passenger windows are possibly the same, but doubtful. Hey everyone has to make a buck, I only share this knowledge because this is our forum.

Example: Speedy autoglass aproached us to mfg.
5 specialty winshields for their stock.

-They supplied the mold(to form the shape)
-I charged them $570 each for 5 OR $290 each for units over 50 (they went for 50)and much cheaper over 500units.

-Their supplier charged them $700 each plus 8% wholesale discount.

In return Speedy will retail for about $1000-$1200 Canadian.

My cost to make $45 labour and all.
Like I said, everyone has to make money...some more greedier than others.

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Hummer Expert

Sorry gang, I was driving/flying from Boston to L.A. yesterday so didn't get chance to respond to all of you.

I believe that the glass doesn't cost anywhere near that amount. C'mon unless this is the space shuttle it shouldn't cost nearly a grand. But you all should know that I called 2 dealers (Team Hummer Pasadena and Sherman Oaks) and got the exact same price. I watched the glass guy put it in. When I told him how much it was he laughed. I wasn't sure what to do because I wanted a good job and ONLY wanted the dealer to handle it in case something else went wrong while the work was being done. Remember my car wash was kind enough to pay for it.
NCHummerman, I take my truck to a wash in Pasadena. They do an all-hand wash and actually do a fantastic job in and out for $20. I always tip them $10 because it is a difficult truck to wash, in fact, I usually enjoy washing my trucks but the H2 sincerely is a pain. I went to a different wash today in Glendale. It was also an all-hand wash. They run it through sprayers while the guys inside wash it with sponges. Nothing actually touches the truck except the workers. They did a better job than the Pasadena station for $13.95 and yes I am very particular about wash jobs and always to a walk around before I leave. So today I walked out for under $20 with a $5 tip.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

So the tint is on the outside of the glass??? Or was he scraping something inside?

Just curious...

- Dan

-------------------------------------------
SUT on order since 12/02 - 10 months to go!
-------------------------------------------
Old 08-11-2003, 10:59 AM
Hummer Expert

No, they said the glass is dipped. I am not sure what that means but the scratches were in the glass not just on the outside. They were fairly deep and around 9 of them about 10 inches long each.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

buckeye which carwash. I go to the One on Arroyo and Cali.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Hummer Expert

Albie, it is sparkle car wash on 2400 Colorado, near the corner of Sierra Madre. They did a good job but the wash I went to yesterday in Glendale was better for $13.95. They are on Glenoaks.