H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-11-2003, 04:25 PM

hinten is off the scale

I finally took the plunge and bought a boat.

I don't have any trailoring experence and after reading about the harness issues from '02 to '03 and weight problems I wonder if someone can summarize for the rest of us.

I need a 5 wire flat adaptor for a 3000 pound trailor with active breaks. Where did you get the electrical adaptor? Where did you buy the hitch? How high does it have to be?
Old 08-11-2003, 04:25 PM

hinten is off the scale

I finally took the plunge and bought a boat.

I don't have any trailoring experence and after reading about the harness issues from '02 to '03 and weight problems I wonder if someone can summarize for the rest of us.

I need a 5 wire flat adaptor for a 3000 pound trailor with active breaks. Where did you get the electrical adaptor? Where did you buy the hitch? How high does it have to be?
Old 08-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hinten,

I was just towing an 18' bass boat in Cape Cod with a Silverado. It had 4 wheel steer, which was very nice but it was still difficult. I had never trailored before this so it took me a little while to get used to it. It's not a big deal but it is easy to mess up your trailer or someone elses property if you don't watch your turns.

Go to a local place to have them check your set up, even a U-haul might help you with this. Then I suggest hitting an open parking lot and practicing your manuevers. You will need to do these same manuevers while backing the boat on/off the ramp. I had to do this while blocking traffic in both directions so there was little room for error.

The H2 is not has good of a tow vehicle because of its departure angle. It kind of has no ass to pull with. This is why a Silverado/Suburban is far better but it can certainly be done with the H2 just be ready for a little more practice.

What kind of boat did you get? Is it just for buzzing around or are you taking it fishing?

Enjoy!
Old 08-11-2003, 05:24 PM

hinten is off the scale

No fishing planned, mainly water skiing.

"A bathroom in a 22 footer/ Amazing!"
Old 08-11-2003, 08:11 PM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

Hinten

I tow my 26 foot Formula around with my H2 and have no problems. My boat and trailer weigh 7,000 lbs. You can get the 5 wire flat adaptor from any GM dealership. I kept my adaptor from my last Escalade. Chevy and GMC trucks use the same exact adaptor. Your brakes are surge brakes and do not need any electrical power from your truck. The weight of your boat in combination with your truck's stopping action cause the trailer brakes to activate.

I use a 6 inch drop hitch which works ok, but I have to open the tire carrier on the back to hook-up the trailer. A drop hitch is the part you slide into the receiver and to which you mount the ball. Because the H2 is so high you have to use a drop hitch or your trailer will be sloping upward when connected.

You can get these parts where trailers are sold.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:42 PM

hinten is off the scale

I checked out the official Hummer website. The 'biggest' drop hitch that Hummer sells is 5 1/4" so I figure somewhere between 5 and 6 inches I'll be alright.

Thanks for the clarification of how the brakes work. I was just wondering about the letter that hummer send out regarding the trailor brakes coming on when you turn on the lights (!).
Old 08-11-2003, 11:55 PM

hinton

I would buy your drop hitch somewhere other than the dealer. Their prices are usally way too high. I have three drop hitches, a 4", 6" and a 10". So you can get just about any length.

Fleet Farm has towing items. I looked at one of my drop hitches and the label refered to the part as a "draw bar". So draw bar maybe the offical name Vs. trailer hitch.

I vaguely remember the letter you referenced but as I recall, the letter was refering to trailers that use the truck's braking signal to activate the trailer's electroHydraulic brakes. Even if I am wrong about the letter it doesn't matter because your trailer does not use this system. ElectroHydraulic braking systems are only used on very heavy tralers. As I have said before, my boat and trailer weigh 7,000 pounds and I also have surge brakes.

If you get the adaptor and plug it into your H2 and then plug your trailer's lights, they will work fine. The photo shows what the plug looks like.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2003, 12:58 AM

Dunefreak is off the scale

H2Daddy: Is that a five flat or a 4 flat? (looks like a four flat in the picture) I had a hell of a time finding my convertor for five flat. It seems mostly new heavy boat trailers use them and not very much else. I found mine at West Marine. The plug is the standard flat 4 Wesbar plus a fifth for reverse. The fifth allows the trailer surge brakes not to lock when you got backwards.

2003 H2 Black
2002 Ford F350 CC/LB/DRW Black
2001 Corvette Convertible Triple Black
1999 BMW 740iL Black
1999 BMW 740iL Black
Old 08-12-2003, 01:41 AM

Dunefreak
My adaptor is a four flat. The four conncetors are left, right, tail and ground. There is no electrical connection to surge brakes. I am not sure what the fifth connection is for.

My trailer manual states that to prevent the brakes from engageing while backing-up, you have to insert a pin into the coupler that prevents the coupler from moving backwards. Surge brakes work by using the weight of the boat (when the truck slows down) to push on the copuler which contains a master cylinder which forces hydraulic fluid to the brake cylinders.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:07 AM

That is what I thought H2Daddy. There is a flat five. Most RV stores have never heard of it. that is why I found mine at a boat store.

2003 H2 Black
1999 BMW 740iL Black
1999 BMW 740iL Black
Old 08-12-2003, 02:14 PM

hinten is off the scale

I got a 6" drop hitch, 2" ball, and the converter to 5 flat connector. All from G.I. Joe's, go figure.

Everything seems to work out fine. Thanks for everyone's help. Interestingly, the boat also connects to the trailor because it has build in signal, break, an regular lights in addition to the trailor.

I thought the surge break only kicks in when the drawstring gets pulled in an emergency.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:35 PM

The drawstring is your breakaway cable. It will lock the breaks if it the trailer disconnects from the tow vehicle.

2003 H2 Black
1999 BMW 740iL Black
1999 BMW 740iL Black
Old 08-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There are other threads about the problem with the electic brake controllers. The electric brake issue only shows up when you install the controller.

I tow every now and then but have just recently used my H2. I have the rear spare carrier that creates a problem for most newer trailers that have the jack at the front of the trailer tongue; it will hit the tire in even small turns. I found and use a 6" drop hitch called Alumistinger. It is a solid piece of aluminum and has way more capacity than allowed on the H2, but it will not rust and is lightweight if you are taking it in and out. Also, it has a 12" shank so that it gives more horizontal clearance.

Also, if you pull other people's trailers, go ahead and invest in one of the convert-a-ball type trailer balls. You get one ball shank and can simply exchange ball sizes without any tools.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:19 AM

SONA is off the scale

I have an 8 inch drop hitch and bought it at the local auto parts store, something like an AutoZone... I pull a 5000lb fishing boat ( http://www.ewboats.com/225cc.htm#) with dual axle trailer and surge brakes, no problems.. I find that the 8 inch drop allows me not to have to crank up my triler so high and gives me eaiser on and off.

"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid." "Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 08-14-2003, 02:31 PM

hinten is off the scale

Towed the boat for the first time last night.
Tell you the truth, it was awfull. I'm not sure if something is wrong with the trailer brakes or what but the whole car is vibrating and shaking forward and backwards. It gets better when driving a little faster, >45mph.
I guess I'm just not used to it but a thought a car witht he weight and size of the H2 would be a little smoother.

Also, I can't open the trunk anymore because it hits the bar that pulls the boat on the trailer. Herre I go again with my dogs.
I'll see if I can find a longer hitch, all I need is another inch or so.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

And you towed it anyway?? Sounds like the brakes are locked up. Do you Smell Smoke, or something Burning???

What type of brake controller did you install?
The Prodogy works, IMO, The Best.

This hitch set-up is pretty nice if you have different towables. There are two different sizes, I got the big one, (shown) of course.

www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=772607243 2

Some required reading. On the left you will see--H2 Details--follow the link and choose MANUAL--Read pages 284 through 290--this should answer most of your questions.
The GROSS COMBINED VEHICLE WEIGHT IS 14,000# MAX...
THE MAX TRAILER WEIGHT IS 6,700#

Oh yes!! Make sure you GREASE the bearings.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:27 PM

SONA is off the scale

all I need is another inch or so.

Me too brother, Me too....

"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid." "Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 08-15-2003, 01:06 AM

hinten is off the scale

I checked the brakes of the trailer and they weren't even warm so I guess it's not the brakes. Don't know what's going on. I'm going to have someone check it out this weekend to see if the brakes that came with the trailer are alright.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:18 AM

Location: Boca Grande, Fl. Best Damn Tarpon Fishing On The Planet
Vaka Humm is off the scale

I got a 8" extention bar from Hidden hitch that sets the ball back further. This over came the tung jack problem and I can open the spare without unhitching my trailer
Old 08-15-2003, 07:50 AM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

Hinten,
If the trailer sets for a while the tires will flat spot and takes some time to smooth back out also check air pressure in tires.
One thing w/ the extensions is the more links the more play and the trailer could start weaving or whipping at higher speed and u never want to experience that.
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.