H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 PM

bmac is off the scale

While returning the H2 demo today, I saw a model on the dealer's lot that might appeal to those who really dislike chrome. The dealer took a black base model and painted the wheels and grill black. Added some dark window tinting and it looked like a SWAT vehicle. Pretty intimidating. Just needed the 50 cal on the roof.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:20 PM

bmac is off the scale

While returning the H2 demo today, I saw a model on the dealer's lot that might appeal to those who really dislike chrome. The dealer took a black base model and painted the wheels and grill black. Added some dark window tinting and it looked like a SWAT vehicle. Pretty intimidating. Just needed the 50 cal on the roof.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Can you pleeeazzze go back and take 10 photos? Before I do anything I need to see photos in order not to mess up the fine Hummer. I have mine all black except the rims and grill. I have seen some black rims and 1 or 2 black grills, but they just did not look like what I have expected. In theory, black and black would be as you described, but in real life, the black rims often look dirty and cheap. I am sure mnay people here would love to see this black on black on black Hummer photos from different angles.

Can you also please ask them how much does it cost for the blacken grill and rims? Thanks.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:24 PM

SONA is off the scale

I would love to see it as well, that is exactly what I want. Spec Ops Black...

"Life is tough... tougher if youre stupid." "Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgement. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life"
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 07-06-2003, 10:59 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Mac,
If you look around a little bit you can find several powdercoating shops down there. Most shops have several different types of black- from matte to very glossy. I think you've seen mine in the pics section. I went with a semi-matte finish. Clean-up is a snap- soap and water. And when you're done a light coating of clear tire dressing shines them up very nicely.
As for the grille, I'm still trying to find the best combination of looks and durabilty. I'll keep you informed.
Old 07-06-2003, 11:23 PM

bmac is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can you pleeeazzze go back and take 10 photos? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MAC and SONA,
I'd be more than happy to take some pics. However, this dealer is about 30 minutes away and unless something changes, it would be difficult to do before next weekend. Maybe I can sweet talk the saleslady I've been talking with to do it and e-mail them to me. Free marketing is rarely refused. I'll see what I can do.

Regarding the price, the "Stealth" package was listed as an $1850 add-on. I don't know if it included anything more than the painted wheels, grill and extra tinting on the windows. I would like to think there was more for that kind of money.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:55 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

Mac, read the last sentence of the second paragraph. Your factory black grill dreams have come true. I copied this from the General H2 Discussion section. The topic is "2004 H2 Changes", started by Klaus. Is Klaus connected with GM? He knows a lot about the H2.

H2 accessories

As if H2 weren't rugged or refined enough, GM offers a host of new accessories in 2004 to further enhance H2's "wow" factor. A bright appearance package includes chromed hood handles, hood latches and gas cap with filler trim. Chromed production wheels are also available. The trailering package now offered includes front hitch extension, vertical mount pin, hitch covers, electric brake harness and seven-to-four pin adapter. And three grille appearance options are offered in 2004 including body color, platinum chrome or black.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:59 PM

bmac is off the scale

MAC, check your Private Topics
Old 07-07-2003, 08:03 PM

Grim_Smoker is off the scale

I too would REALLY like to see pictures. I personally HATE (I don't just hate, I DETEST) chrome. I've been waiting almost a year to paint my grille black, but haven't been sure. My dealer has painted a few grilles matte black to match the grille guard and it supposedly looked amazing. But I've really been thinking about having the grille painted a glossy black and having the grille letters painted to match the exterior (Sunset Orange). Anyone got ideas?

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2 - Breathless Stage 2B, HID's, Gobi Rack & Ladder.

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06
Old 07-08-2003, 01:35 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Glossy black grill on my all black Hummer would be very nice, I haven't thought about glossy black, sort of been visualizing matte black. Glossy black will match the body paint, I think I like it very much, and not too mean as with the matte black. Saw a pewter H2 on dealer lot today with matching pewter grill, very nice. If I get any photos I'll post them here.

I drive pass the dealership everyday on my way to drop off a son as volunteer counselor at the community center right behind the Hummer dealer. Always take a look at the inventory on the lot.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think some body colors lend themselves to the matching grille and others don't. The best I've seen so far are JSA_3 and Busta Ryhmes who got matching yellow. I have not yet seen a black grille that works with the black H2 ( there is always something off with the colors) The chrome was probably done to get the H2 to market as quickly as possible without burdening design with two many detail issues. Chrome is basicly the auto industry match anything detail color. I kind of like black H2s with lots of chrome detailing, It may be kind of bling but for showing off it looks good. I would not want a matching grille on the pewter chrome is fine, I might be cool with matte black.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Chrome is a big part of American automobile history, traditionally and currently, chrome sells. I have no problem with Hummer with lots of chrome. Applying the standard 20/80 rule, I think 80% want chrome. When Ford or GM bring over their European autos, I read the first thing they do is to change the grill, window frames and bumpers to chrome, it is proven chrome sells, blacken doesn't. I like all black personally, but if I were the automaker, I'll do what the buyers want.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

PhilD,

There are some products out there that are similar to spray on bedliners except they have no granules in the paint.

Some are sort of a rubbery texture like what you dip the handle of tools into to get a rubber coating. I have bought several gallons of one product that is made for coating anything that needs a protective coating, but is flat black. I know there are some "paints" that are made the same way and are semi-glossy and certainly will not chip.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Phil-
Since GM is going to come out with these new grille options fairly soon, why not wait and see. I'm sure the new grilles will fit our H2's and you could get from GM parts supplier. Probably won't be cheap but should be solid moulded color so chips will not be obvious.
Peter