H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-04-2003, 09:07 PM

wch3 is off the scale

Does anyone know if a black locking gas cap is on the market. With a Yellow H2, I'm looking to keep the same style as how it came. I see a lot of chrome and aluminum doors but no black caps.

Any suggestions? Mille Grazie!
Old 08-04-2003, 09:26 PM

Batson34 is off the scale

Stant makes a locking gas cap. It does have white safety warnings on it.

They are functional and relatively cheap, stop by a parts store or even Wal-Mart they have reference books like the filter companies to make sure you have the right application and do forum search to I think I’ve seen posts with the part number.

when it come to maintenance of the cap once a month insert the WD 40 "straw" in to the key hole and work your key in and out a few times, it will last the life of the rig.

Under severe cold conditions the lock can freeze up it happened to me once in 8 years. If that happens WD 40 or any lock deicer will free it up. Oh yeah and because your keys are in the cap until you close it your not likely to leave the pump without the cap!
Old 08-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw a black locking gas door on a green H2 yesterday. Someone makes one.

Adam P. Smith
Mortgage Pros, Inc.
303-407-2405 p
303-407-2414 f
aps101374@yahoo.com
Old 08-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hummer H2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Realwheels has black locking fueldoors. I think that they look pretty sweet.

Fuel Door
Old 08-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2-USA is an unknown quantity at this point

I purchased a Stant Locking Gas Cap on eBay, only to learn from talking to a Stant Rep that it was probably the incorrect cap for the H2.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 8:40 AM

Steve, the Stant 11589 is not the correct part number locking fuel cap for your 2003 Hummer H2. The 11589 is for use on mid 80"s Dodge Charger and Plymouth Turismo applications. Using this cap will probably fail an OBD II test. Your Hummer has an OnBoard Diagnostics system that periodically checks the fuel system including the cap for leaks. If an excessive vapor leak is detected, the "check engine" light will come on. You will then have to return the vehicle to the dealer to have the light re-set. If the cap is not changed, the light will keep coming on.

Stant recommends our boxed 10504 or carded 11504 cap for your vehicle.

Contact Stant customer service at 800-822-3121 extension 330 with any questions you may have.

John
Old 08-05-2003, 04:55 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Hummer H2, That fuel door looks great!
Old 08-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

This is the one that I bought at O'Reilly's. It came in a Stant box but had a sticker over the Stant label that read Murray 5789.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM

wch3 is off the scale

Hummer H2, I like the black door. Is it matte black? Looks like it is powdercoated. Where did you find it and how much? I have yellow hummer as well and have been trying to see if I should stick with black or go the chrome SMA door, which will be adding Hummer embossed on like on the wheels. It should be out in the next few months.

Hey, has anyone tried to use SMA's valance with factory installed brush guard? I talked to their technical guy who gelt there was not enough clearance for the hood opening. The valance width is apparently wider but not by very much at the top square section. I trying to put fogs where the DRLs are.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Tucson Beast

Now let me get this - Is the SMA fuel door going to have the Hummer embossed (like wheels) soon and will it come in a black - I like the one showen by Hummer 2 but I would like it to have "Hummer" on it - if that is not going to happen, I could live with the one in the picture - anyone know for sure?

"It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts - John Wooden
Old 08-05-2003, 11:36 PM

Gary C is off the scale

Locking cap

<font color=Gray>Pewter</font>, Lux, Ventvisors, Foose Wheels, Corsa Touring Exhaust, HID's
Old 08-06-2003, 11:46 AM

NCHummerman is off the scale

Rich Lenz, Parts Manager at Fitzpatrick Hummer in Concord, California sells an "awesome looking" gloss black locking gas cap door, which is really break-in proof .... it screws on. He can e-mail pictures to you. Call him at (925) 689-6500, and please mention that I Michael Gardner referred you, and I believe that he will give you the Fitzpatrick Hummer Customer courtesy discount ... he has done it in the past for people including for me when I purchased from him. Best prices I can find on H2 accessories, and I do not work there or have anything to do with the dealer ... just a happy customer ...

Good luck,

Best,

Michael
---
Pewter Hummer H2
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Northern California

www.zootsuitstore.com
------------------------------------
Old 08-06-2003, 01:37 PM

wch3 is off the scale

Tucson, it is my understanding that AMP is designing the new door for SMA and they are waiting for approval from GM to have HUMMER on the door like the hubs. I don't know what finishes other than chrome will be available.

Hope that helps. I heard that the new doors will not be available until the end of the year.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Tucson Beast

Thanks guys - will try to make a good decision (NCHummerman - I wil call your guy)

"It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts - John Wooden
Old 08-06-2003, 07:42 PM

wch3 is off the scale

NCHummerman, thanks for the tip with Rich. Cool guy and extremely informative. I must asked about 2 doz. questions.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a picture of the Stant 10504.

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2003, 11:20 AM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

ED G. - I like the looks of the Stant cap you show much better than the 10504. You don't by chance still have the box it came in do you? If you do could you look for a Stant part number on it?
Another thought came to mind: Companies like Steel Horse make after market accessories for jeep....things like stainless hood tie downs, door hinges etc. Seems I also saw a stainless round gas door for them someplace. Anyone know if they do make it and if it would fit? Bet it wouldn't cost $100 -$200! Think I'll look them up.

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

Bad Dawg,

I don't have my box, but I called O'Reilly's and had them give me the Stant # off one they had on their shelf. The Stant # is 10589. If you don't have any luck I'd be glad to get one and ship it to you, it's a little over $17 with tax.

Ed
Old 08-07-2003, 05:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2-USA is an unknown quantity at this point

Bad Dawg / Ed G.,
You might notice my previous FYI reply concerning what I was told about the 10589/11589 Stant Locking Gas Caps:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 8:40 AM

The Stant 11589 is not the correct part number locking fuel cap for your 2003 Hummer H2. The 11589 is for use on mid 80"s Dodge Charger and Plymouth Turismo applications. Using this cap will probably fail an OBD II test. Your Hummer has an OnBoard Diagnostics system that periodically checks the fuel system including the cap for leaks. If an excessive vapor leak is detected, the "check engine" light will come on. You will then have to return the vehicle to the dealer to have the light re-set. If the cap is not changed, the light will keep coming on.

Stant recommends our boxed 10504 or carded 11504 cap for your vehicle.

Contact Stant customer service at 800-822-3121 extension 330 with any questions you may have.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I DO have the 11589 Stant Locking Cap on my H2. I got it off of eBay, being told that it WAS the correct cap for the H2.

I have NETWORKCAR installed on my H2 and have been monitoring the Technician part, which occassionally shows both OPEN & CLOSED for the Fuel System Status/B1 (OBDII Data). I don't know if this is because of the GAS CAP or not, but it has shown closed since my last fill up. I have not had a Check Engine light, as John at Stant warned that I might.

I plan to replace my 11589 cap with either the 10504/11504 when I get the AMP Hummer Logo Cover, should it ever make it to market.

Steve
Old 08-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

H2-USA,
I've had the cap on for 1 1/2 months now with no problems at all or check engine light. I believe that if there was a problem it would have surfaced by now. When I tried to fit a different cap on my TJ the engine light came on the second day.

Ed
Old 08-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Hummer Novice

Colo. H2 is off the scale

I have had the 11589 Stant Locking Gas Cap on for over 5 months now and have had no problems.

Red 03 Lux. & Adv.