H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-09-2005, 10:45 AM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

We had our first real snow storm in mid-Michigan last night with about 7". At first I was disappointed in the H3 and how it handled the snow but then I remembered:

LOCK IT IN 4 HIGH AND TURN OFF THE TRACTION CONTROL.

After that it was a blast to drive!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:45 AM

1COOLH3 is off the scale

We had our first real snow storm in mid-Michigan last night with about 7". At first I was disappointed in the H3 and how it handled the snow but then I remembered:

After that it was a blast to drive!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Pukematrixx is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 1COOLH3:

After that it was a blast to drive! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm about to get rip it up as well (I live in MI). Looking forward to it!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

NJHummerGuy is off the scale

Just had the 1st good snow in NJ as well.....loved it........was fantastic driving in the snow with it.....

The one thing I did notice on the road....I was next to one jeep driver who saw me and felt the need to prove to me that his jeep grand was a better 4x4......and too prove this he decided to see how fast he could go from a red light....was nice to watch him push the backend out as I just drove like a normal person and waved as I went by.
:-)
Old 12-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

GaryW is off the scale

Guys, I am extremely jealous. I live in KY and they had forecasted 4-7 inches but yesterday all we got was some sleet and a dusting of snow. I had hoped to try my yellow H3 out in the snow. Oh well the winter is young...

Happy Hummering.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Snow, what is snow? 65 here yesterday!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Well, last night I spent over 2 hours getting home from my Holiday party in the snow storm. We got about 7 inches on the ground. Most of the roads had not seen a plow and let me tell you, it was bad! Bad for everyone else that it! The H3 did a amazing job in the snow! I only had to lock the hubs a few times. The rest of the times I left it in the normal drive position and let the traction control do its thing. Since this is my first SUV and first 4Wheel Drive vehicle, I am learning how and when to use this feature. Hopefully i can learn about it at Hummer School next year in South Bend. Overall, the H3 has totally got me impressed with its ability to handle horrible road conditions. If that's a sign of how it handles off road, then I'll probably be buying Hummers forever.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

I WANT SNOW!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike E:
Well,...
...then I'll probably be buying Hummers forever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why are you using a picture from CarDomain.com? Don't you have any of your own or are you just pretending you have a Hummer?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:27 PM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any potential risks driving in 4 High at fairly high speeds for an extended period of time? We got a healthy dosage of snow too, would it be recommened to drive in 4 high in these conditions?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

YellowH3 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
Why are you using a picture from CarDomain.com? Don't you have any of your own or are you just pretending you have a Hummer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We all know what a stock base model looks like.
2006 H3 Adventure, Competition Yellow, Ebony int., Monsoon, XM, HID\'s, Custom Off-Road Grill Lights, Gravel filled floor mats, Mud packed undercarrige, Dust covered dash, Airbag light ON, DVD, 2 Flip Downs, Headrests, Rear Camera, Front Camera

Old 12-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are there any potential risks driving in 4 High at fairly high speeds for an extended period of time? We got a healthy dosage of snow too, would it be recommened to drive in 4 high in these conditions? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have read you should not drive in 4 High lock and it will actually dissengage by itself around 70 MPH. I think it is bad if the road is dry and clear but OK if you are actually in yuck.

We had some bad snow last week - maybe what you are getting
Old 12-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

tony d is an unknown quantity at this point

are you suppose to disengage the traction contron in 4H ? and how do you do this ?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

I think this is the farthest button to the right next to all the 4X4 buttons.

You need to experience the difference this button makes in a control setting probably first.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Yes, Yes, Yes. It's my H3 in the picture. I've used cardomain.com since my last car to host my pictures and then I link the photos to the board. I can scan and post any of my delivery papers to prove it. I try not to use the picture in all the posts because it is big but sometimes I forgot. Sorry about that.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

We had 7 inches and I had some hills to drive, and I never had to go to 4-lock or turn off the traction control. No problems with driving. But stopping this is like stopping a freight train. Almost got me one of them little Honda's for a hood ornament. Pulled right out in front of me.
Now, not to sound mean, but if I had hit her, I would have then engaged 4-low lock, locked the rear axle, and kept going.

I might add, the wiper blades freeze up way to quick on this vehicle. It seems the blades park below the glass and do not get any benefit from the defroster. Can't wait to get my winter blades from Texas.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

f5fstop, I agree about the windshield wipers. I pretty much had to run the defrosters the entire tim driving to attempt to keep the wipers from freezing up. And as always, the center of the blade is the part that freezes up and is right in your line of sight. One question, how will winter blades make any difference in this problem? Aren't they just the same blade with a rubber coating over the mechanism??
Old 12-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

We just got hit with 14 inches of snow here in the Northeast.This thing was awesome to drive in the snow.The look on peoples faces that where stuck was memorable.The one thing that happened was the wipers stopped working and they where stuck in the up position.Then all of a sudden the started working again,but a few streets later and same thing just stopped and started on its own.Fstop dont even go there with the BCM module please.Ok here is the funny part of this story I just got done teasing a girl at work who bought a Jeep Liberty.When I couldnt move because of wpiers my friend said we should call her to help us.I said no #$%^&*( way after I teased her.This wiper issue better be a one time thing,cause if BCM module has gone again heads will roll.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:17 AM

Cedar Butte is off the scale

We had an 11 inch plus snow in the lower Cascades last week. It was awsome never sliped a wheel with 4 weel locked. I flipped back to all wheel when I got down to I90 and that worked great at 50MPH with all 4 westbound lanes snow covered.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2005, 04:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

Anonymous is off the scale

What's this "snow" stuff you guys are talking about?

Class winner 1996 Parker 400, Laughlin Desert Challenge, Baja 500...I\'ve never been to the mall!