Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone try/own a Kahr P45 yet? Local shops don't have one in yet for me to try. Any opinions on this particular weapon welcome.

-*-*- NO GLOCK VS THIS VS THAT CRAP, PLEASE! -*-*-
Old 12-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Hummer Authority

Anyone try/own a Kahr P45 yet? Local shops don't have one in yet for me to try. Any opinions on this particular weapon welcome.

-*-*- NO GLOCK VS THIS VS THAT CRAP, PLEASE! -*-*-
Old 12-28-2005, 08:16 PM

Operator24 is off the scale

Never shot a Kahr. Seems a little pricey for what you get. They're always around 7-800 bucks. And A 6 round mag...? Are you looking to conceal? Home defense? Are you LEO?

I think, in a .45 you can't beat a Sig P220. They're the easiest to shoot .45 you'll ever try and they're 100% reliable.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Operator24:
Never shot a Kahr. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seems a little pricey for what you get. They're always around 7-800 bucks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I tend not to price handguns maximizing ounce/dollar. Besides 600+tax here.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And A 6 round mag...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I want small, it's a .45. What do you expect?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you looking to conceal? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes! It's a Kahr compact. People tend to buy these to conceal or toss in a drawer.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Home defense? Are you LEO? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What does this matter?
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think, in a .45 you can't beat a Sig P220. They're the easiest to shoot .45 you'll ever try and they're 100% reliable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No offense, but I didn't title this topic "Suggestions for best all around .45" I may happen to already have other guns for other purposes

I'm simply interested in a Kahr P45 for it's size, reliability, and simplicity. I've definitely done my research elsewhere. Remember this is a Hummer forum, not a gun forum. And I'm just checking to see, now that this gun's been out for a little while, if anyone here happens to have used one and has some initial impressions.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Hummer Authority

ShaggyX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any opinions on this particular weapon welcome.

-*-*- NO GLOCK VS THIS VS THAT CRAP, PLEASE! -*-*- </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Operator24:
I think, in a .45 you can't beat a Sig P220. They're the easiest to shoot .45 you'll ever try and they're 100% reliable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone has reading comprehension problems. I wonder if he made it all the way through Elementary School.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alec W:
ree, sorry I hijacked your thread but troll hunting is a serious business and knows no bounds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No problem. It needs to be done And if other's will do it, great
Old 12-29-2005, 01:35 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Considered several Kahr's, including the P45, but they just never felt right in my hands and something about them always put me off. FWIW I rarely (if ever) see anyone shooting them in IDPA etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've never been to an IDPA match so maybe you can answer me this. I know the equipment is supposed to be real, practical stuff like you actually carry. But do you think that those who are likely to compete IDPA are also more likely to "go a little further" when it comes to they're carry equipment than your average CCW individual and carry bigger stuff? Also, if you're shooting IDPA, aren't you going to want a 4" barrel or more to enhance accuracy?

I'm really looking for something so conveniently small and light, I'm not going to no bring it along because it's too heavy or big.

I still need to get my hands on one. I've bought handguns before sight-unseen and not had the best luck with hand fit. I'm wary about this one being too small...I feel comfortable somewhere between a 1911 single stack and any double stack.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:26 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ree:
I've never been to an IDPA match so maybe you can answer me this. I know the equipment is supposed to be real, practical stuff like you actually carry. But do you think that those who are likely to compete IDPA are also more likely to "go a little further" when it comes to they're carry equipment than your average CCW individual and carry bigger stuff? Also, if you're shooting IDPA, aren't you going to want a 4" barrel or more to enhance accuracy?

I'm really looking for something so conveniently small and light, I'm not going to no bring it along because it's too heavy or big.

I still need to get my hands on one. I've bought handguns before sight-unseen and not had the best luck with hand fit. I'm wary about this one being too small...I feel comfortable somewhere between a 1911 single stack and any double stack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never shot IDPA either. But I've followed it and have friends whom compete in it, I'M NOT CLAIMING EXPERTISE HERE, but maybe I can give you a feel for what they do at IDPA. Yes, generally what people seem to shoot is what they carry, and a lot of them are professional operators. FBI HRT, SWAT and others compete in it and they all shoot 5" (nowllins usually) barrel 1911s, nothing less. I believe A 1911 has won all but 1 time. A sig P220 won ONCE. It was a back up because his 1911 broke. Military folk tend to compete in the El Presidente, its more like combat drills than target shooting.

My compact .45 is a UC Springfield (3.5" bull type barrle). 7 round mags. I understand what you mean by fit of hand, and my hands are med-small. So a 1911 is generally the only thing that fits well for me.

I personally don't like light weight .45s with short barrels. They're too difficult to control when shooting rapidly for my taste (insane muzzle flip) and I bet the Kahr (being a polymer frame) wouldn't be my first choice. Maybe you're a better shooter with a bigger hand? That might make the Kahr a good choice for you then, but still consider my point.

I like the UC springer in the pic below because its got heft to it (forged stainless frame not alloy LW). The felt recoil is managable due to its extra weight I think. These are easy to conceal because they're thiner than most polymer guns too. Holsters are easy to find for a 1911 as well. For a CCW application, you'll love to carry a small 1911. The biggest down side is that they're not very accurate with +P ammo. This gun generally only likes plain ol' 230 FMJ. Most 1911s will tend to shoot low with that grain load. A good shooter will know that and adjust their sight picture accordingly. I hope some of this helps. Post up a pic of whatever you decide on! If you do go with the Kahr, let us know what you think of it! Most of the people I shoot with only shoot 1911s and HKs, so a little feedback on Kahrs would be great.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:33 PM

To be helpful with your quest for finding someone whom has shot a Kahr, may I suggest two possible places.

http://www.1911forum.com

or better yet

http://www.glocktalk.com (has forums for all kinds of other non-glock guns with very active forums.)
Old 12-29-2005, 03:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
To be helpful with your quest for finding someone whom has shot a Kahr, may I suggest two possible places.

or better yet

http://www.glocktalk.com (has forums for all kinds of other non-glock guns with very active forums.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's like telling someone to go to a Jeep forum to info on a H2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm unaware of any Kahr specific forums. Just thought this would be helpful... doesn't seem like anyone here has shot a Kahr before?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I believe A 1911 has won all but 1 time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>In IDPA you compete in divisions, 1911's basically have their own division, CDP. Glocks tend to shoot SSP or ESP and you won't find a 1911 competing in SSP, nor will find a Glock competing in CDP. There is no "overall" winner in IDPA matches. So a Glock will likely win in SSP and a 1911 will nearly always win in CDP.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, not an expert, never competed. I was thiking only of CDP though. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Hummer Authority

or better yet

http://www.glocktalk.com (has forums for all kinds of other non-glock guns with very active forums.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's like telling someone to go to a Jeep forum to info on a H2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm unaware of any Kahr specific forums. Just thought this would be helpful... doesn't seem like anyone here has shot a Kahr before? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Operator 23 going on 24,
For future reference, you might want to consider these generic shooting fora:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> The Firing Line
<LI> The High Road[/list]