H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-20-2006, 11:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale
Default Stereo Install Questions

Ok, I have been searching for the last 3 days and while I know these questions have come up a number of times, I don't think I have found a definitive answer to them. I have just purchased a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 with the rear view camera, iPod controller, & XM NavTraffic. I currently have the 6-disc in-dash Monsoon unit w/factory XM. I have already purchased the Peripheral GMAH24B and GMAHCM interfaces and I believe I understand how they hook up. My questions are about some of the other wires and parts.

1. Where is the best place (inside the vehicle if possible) to tap into the VSS (Speed sensor wire)?

2. Where is the best place to tap into the reverse wire?

3. Where is the best place to tap into the parking brake wire?

4. Where is the factory XM module located?

5. Can I reuse the factory XM antenna?

6. Can I tap into the factory XM wire harness for power, RAP, & ground for the new XM NavTraffic unit?

7. Can the GPS antenna be mounted under one of the roof rails or would that block the signal too much?

8. Where is the best place to mount the rear view camera?

9. Where is the best place to run the camera wiring into the vehicle?

10. Is there a RAP lead near the back of the vehicle to tap into for the camera?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but answers to these questions would be very much appreciated.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stereo Install Questions

I have a very similar setup but am using a D1 rather than a Z1, no iPOD and have yet to hook up my rear cam.

1. Where is the best place (inside the vehicle if possible) to tap into the VSS (Speed sensor wire)?

I didn't even bother with this and everything seems to work just great.

I plan to run a lead back to the reverse light when I run the video feed for the camera. If this is not the best way someone will chime in.

Don't hook this wire up to the parking brake, just ground it. If you hook it to the parking brake you will have to have it applied to use many of the NAV features. (Applies to AVIC D1, D2, N1 & N2 but check online to see if this bypass still works on the Z1. You might want to check out AVIC411.com)

I have not heard a definitive answer on whether or not you can tap into the factory XM antenna.

6. Can I tap into the factory XM wire harness for power, RAP, & ground for the new XM NavTraffic unit?

Wire the new XM tuner into the wiring harness along with the head unit. Which tuner are you using. I went with the GEX-P10XMT.

7. Can the GPS antenna be mounted under one of the roof rails or would that block the signal too much?

Not sure about this but I ran the XM antenna up one a-pillar and the GPS antenna up the other. I have them mounted next to the roof rails on either side. You can not see either of them unless you are above the truck but I do have the marker lights to that helps block them from the front.

I am going to try mounting one on the inside of the rear window, top/center angled down. May have to play with it a little to find the best spot.

10. Is there a RAP lead near the back of the vehicle to tap into for the camera?

You could wire it into the wiring harness as well then run a lead back with your video feed.

I have yet to truly utilize the XM traffic but I do like it and would have to say from my experience it is worth the couple of bucks a month if they have coverage in your area.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-21-2006, 03:18 AM
Hummer Novice

nafs is on a distinguished road

Buzz, I will have the exact same installation as you described going in this weekend. After weeks of searching, I had the same exact questions as you, with no definitive answers.

That is why I am paying for a proffesional install. I live in NYC and Audio Designs is doing the labor.(I am providing all the hardware) Its costing me about $400.00, but I feel more than confident these guys know what they are doing and are going to do it right with a 2 year labor warranty. I visited there shop in downtown Manhattan and it is first rate. At the time they were installing on a Ferrari Spyder and a Bentley. The H3 will be in good hands.

As far as your components list, it seems complete except for a dash kit(don't yet know if you really need it) but scosche 1595b is for the H3, and maybe a gm antenna adapter for regular am, fm.

As for camera mounting, if you have a tow package the rear mounting bracket in the back makes a perfect location in terms of height and line of site, also is away from most of the elements.I saw this install location at my dealer. All their aftermarket installs had them in that location.

As far as existing XM antenna usage, I have read that it can be used.
Also somebody has installed the gps antenna inside the dash assembly and it works great. I instructed my installer to test out the installation there.

I will keep you posted on my pro install experience. Good luck
Old 06-21-2006, 04:08 AM
Hummer Guru

It really depends on your experience if you should do the install yourself or not. I thought it was actually one of the easiest installs I had ever done but it was also one of the most basic since it didn't involve multiple amps, crossovers, EQs and so on. If you are experienced and like to do things yourself like I do, go for it, you should have zero problems. If you are not so experienced or are unsure, definitely get it installed by a professional like nafs is doing. It is always nice to have someone you can go back to if anything goes wrong. I am sure the shop you are going to is top notch nafs but but for those looking around, don't judge an installer by the vehicles in the shop. I have dealt with many shops over the years and on average it was the ones working on the cheaper vehicles that did the superior work and some incredible installs. I have dealt with shops whose clientele was only high-end primarily due to location and they kept coming back because they didn't know any better. I have also dealt with shops whose clientele were always on tight budgets yet they were always able to turn out incredible systems working with those budgets. That is not always the case but like the old saying goes, don't judge a book by it's cover. Just my $0.02

Old 06-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzH3
Ok, I have been searching for the last 3 days and while I know these questions have come up a number of times, I don't think I have found a definitive answer to them. I have just purchased a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 with the rear view camera, iPod controller, & XM NavTraffic. I currently have the 6-disc in-dash Monsoon unit w/factory XM. I have already purchased the Peripheral GMAH24B and GMAHCM interfaces and I believe I understand how they hook up. My questions are about some of the other wires and parts.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but answers to these questions would be very much appreciated.

Too many questions for this early in the morning.

I do know I have seen a H3 with a rear camera mounted on a slight angle, to the center of the rear bumper, just to the left of the spare tire. It is a special design housing it is mounted in, and the screen is located inside the rear view mirror.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:52 PM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

My camera is mounted to the right of the hitch in the void space. I made an aluminum bracket, painted it black, and bolted it to the hole in the hitch behind the sticker. The bumber overhangs the camera and helps keep the weather off it.

I put the camera wiring inside a separate wire loom and ran it along the top of the drivers frame rail. This is where the wiring for the trailer connection runs. There is a connector near the battery that has a connection for reverse that the trailer wiring mates to.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerNewbie
I have a very similar setup but am using a D1 rather than a Z1, no iPOD and have yet to hook up my rear cam.

I didn't even bother with this and everything seems to work just great.

I plan to run a lead back to the reverse light when I run the video feed for the camera. If this is not the best way someone will chime in.

Don't hook this wire up to the parking brake, just ground it. If you hook it to the parking brake you will have to have it applied to use many of the NAV features. (Applies to AVIC D1, D2, N1 & N2 but check online to see if this bypass still works on the Z1. You might want to check out AVIC411.com)

I have not heard a definitive answer on whether or not you can tap into the factory XM antenna.

Wire the new XM tuner into the wiring harness along with the head unit. Which tuner are you using. I went with the GEX-P10XMT.

Not sure about this but I ran the XM antenna up one a-pillar and the GPS antenna up the other. I have them mounted next to the roof rails on either side. You can not see either of them unless you are above the truck but I do have the marker lights to that helps block them from the front.

I am going to try mounting one on the inside of the rear window, top/center angled down. May have to play with it a little to find the best spot.

You could wire it into the wiring harness as well then run a lead back with your video feed.

I have yet to truly utilize the XM traffic but I do like it and would have to say from my experience it is worth the couple of bucks a month if they have coverage in your area.

Thank you for your responses.

From my understanding, you don't have to hook up the speed sensor wire, but it makes the nav system much more accurate if you do.

I also went with the GEX-P10XMT XM receiver. I am looking forward to trying the NavTraffic function
Old 06-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Thank you for your responses.

From my understanding, you don't have to hook up the speed sensor wire, but it makes the nav system much more accurate if you do.

I also went with the GEX-P10XMT XM receiver. I am looking forward to trying the NavTraffic function

Hope it helps. The install is really pretty simple. The speed sensor does help with the accuracy but mine is really very accurate without it. Whenever I leave my house it shows me a block or two north of where I actually am but corrects itself within a 1/4 mile or so. I think it really has to do with all the trees but don't know. XM Traffic is pretty cool and I think you will be happy with it.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Hummer Guru

Not sure how a speed sensor could increase accuracy of the GPS system. Especially since most people with calilbratable speedometers will calibrate from a GPS unit.

As to why it takes a while to obtain an accurate fix....

When you first turn on a GPS, the unit must download an almanac from the satellites. The almanac is transmitted every 12 minutes and tells the GPS unit where it should expect to see the GPS satellites. The satellites also transmit what is called ephemeris data which is sent in blocks, each about six second in length, starting every tenth second. Ephemeris data is precise orbit information of the satellites.
If you are traveling cross country with the GPS on, the almanac and ephemeris data is kept up to date. However, if you have the GPS off on a cross-country trip, and you turn it on 3000 miles from where it was last turned on, it is a bit confused, since it retained the last alamanc informaton, so until it downloads the almanac and the ephemeris data, accuracy will be affected.
Almanac data is sent by all satellites and includes information about all the satellites. Ephemeris data in regard to a satellite is only sent by that particular satellite.
If the GPS system is WAAS capable and WAAS is enabled, the GPS needs to download the WAAS almanacs from all Satellites. The WAAS almanacs are transmitted every five minutes. This almanac information is used by the GPS to correct the information received from the other satellites.
Right now, on some GPS units, depending on your location in the USA, having the WAAS disabled may give you better accuracy. The US government last year launched a few more WAAS satellites and they are currently moving the old ones and new ones around to new locations, and testing them.
On Units with the SiRF III chip, the chip will not recognize a test signal from the WAAS satellite. Older non-SiRF III chip models will recognize, but the signal may not be correct.
WAAS satellite 33 is over the Atlantic somewhere near Europe. Number 35 is being moved to the west, and I believe 47 is over the Pacific. Right now, the best areas for reception are the southwest, or so I have been told.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Not sure how a speed sensor could increase accuracy of the GPS system. Especially since most people with calilbratable speedometers will calibrate from a GPS unit.

As to why it takes a while to obtain an accurate fix....

When you first turn on a GPS, the unit must download an almanac from the satellites. The almanac is transmitted every 12 minutes and tells the GPS unit where it should expect to see the GPS satellites. The satellites also transmit what is called ephemeris data which is sent in blocks, each about six second in length, starting every tenth second. Ephemeris data is precise orbit information of the satellites.
If you are traveling cross country with the GPS on, the almanac and ephemeris data is kept up to date. However, if you have the GPS off on a cross-country trip, and you turn it on 3000 miles from where it was last turned on, it is a bit confused, since it retained the last alamanc informaton, so until it downloads the almanac and the ephemeris data, accuracy will be affected.
Almanac data is sent by all satellites and includes information about all the satellites. Ephemeris data in regard to a satellite is only sent by that particular satellite.
If the GPS system is WAAS capable and WAAS is enabled, the GPS needs to download the WAAS almanacs from all Satellites. The WAAS almanacs are transmitted every five minutes. This almanac information is used by the GPS to correct the information received from the other satellites.
Right now, on some GPS units, depending on your location in the USA, having the WAAS disabled may give you better accuracy. The US government last year launched a few more WAAS satellites and they are currently moving the old ones and new ones around to new locations, and testing them.
On Units with the SiRF III chip, the chip will not recognize a test signal from the WAAS satellite. Older non-SiRF III chip models will recognize, but the signal may not be correct.
WAAS satellite 33 is over the Atlantic somewhere near Europe. Number 35 is being moved to the west, and I believe 47 is over the Pacific. Right now, the best areas for reception are the southwest, or so I have been told.

Thank you for the response. That is very interesting.

From my understanding (and this is just from reading info on the AVIC-Z1), the Z1 uses the speed sensor and an internal gyroscope to determine your current location if you lose the GPS signal. Once the signal is reacquired, it syncs to where the satellites are saying you are. It continuously records this information and the unit becomes more and more accurate the more you drive. So if you are driving in a heavily wooded area or in the city with tall buildings it can still maintain a high level of accuracy.

One more quick question. Where in the engine compartment is the PCM located?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Thank you for the response. That is very interesting.

From my understanding (and this is just from reading info on the AVIC-Z1), the Z1 uses the speed sensor and an internal gyroscope to determine your current location if you lose the GPS signal. Once the signal is reacquired, it syncs to where the satellites are saying you are. It continuously records this information and the unit becomes more and more accurate the more you drive. So if you are driving in a heavily wooded area or in the city with tall buildings it can still maintain a high level of accuracy.

One more quick question. Where in the engine compartment is the PCM located?

Ok, that makes sense for the need of a speed sensor. However, not sure how often it would be used on the main highways of the US. I travel with a Garmin iQue 3600 for the roads, and I have only lost signals in very narrow canyons for a few minutes, or in long tunnels.

PCM is at the left rear of the eingine compartment, by the coolant bottle.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Must use a vss for the nav to function properly and for voice guidance to work at all.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:27 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakz
Must use a vss for the nav to function properly and for voice guidance to work at all.

Does this just apply to the Z1? D1 doesn't have voice commands so that isn't an issue for me and may nav seems to work just fine. Have talked to others that never hooked up the vss and their systems work just fine as well.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:07 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

The N2 also uses the VSS to increase accuracy...if you lose signal it will still have a good idea where you are, incase you can get lost in a tunnel I suppose. I never hooked my VSS in the h3, had it hooked up in my last vehicle though. I can't tell a difference. Nav functions properly, and I still get voice guidance. So must be only on the Z1...which sucks.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:09 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

The Z1 and N3 (can't remember on the D2) have voice guidance that will not work if the vss is not connected. Also, your system will be much more 'spot on' when locating using vss instead of just the gps. We have installed many of the new eclipse models that don't require vss and have noticed that they are not quite as accurate as when the vss is used.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:49 PM
Hummer Guru

When I read voice guidance, I was thinking voice commands as in you say the address you want. The Z1 has that feature doesn't it? The D1 does have voice guidance and it works fine without the vss hooked up. I know it will increase the accuracy no matter where you are at but I have yet to have an issue without it. I wonder if your location effects the need for vss or not. I can see being in the mountains making it more important. It certainly won't be like being in the rockies but guess I will find out when we head up to Tellico. Every morning it is off by a couple of blocks but is back on track in a couple of minutes. Not going to get lost within a couple of blocks from my house so not too worried about that

Old 06-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

Does anyone know how to remove the antenna from the factory XM box? Does it pull straight out or unscrew?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 04:46 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Squeeze and pull. Small tab on the cyan plug. You had also asked if you could get 12v and ground at the xm harness which you can. However, it is typically best to get all your grounds at the same point to alleviate any possible ground loop (results in unwanted noise). You may try to get power and ground there and just see if you have any whine or hiss in the system.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

I decided against using the existing XM antenna. I noticed that the connector does not match the connector on the Pioneer XM module. I'm sure it could be modified, but I didn't feel like hacking around on it. It was easier for me to just run another antenna. I really don't mind it being up there. My H3 is black so it just kind of blends right in.