H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

black06atx is off the scale

will they fit if i get after market wheels. i think the ones i am looking at are the XD Assault in 17x10. just curious
Old 07-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

will they fit if i get after market wheels. i think the ones i am looking at are the XD Assault in 17x10. just curious
Old 07-20-2005, 02:34 PM

H3H is off the scale

You'll need a body lift...Maximum Altitude in San Antonio has a 3' for ~900 dollars installed.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

what are the pro's and con's of doing a body lift.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:49 PM

FELNTPSY is off the scale

a 3" body lift of any flavor is too much IMO for any vehicle.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:42 PM

H3H is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by black06atx:
what are the pro's and con's of doing a body lift. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

pro's - can clear larger tires, you don't mess w/the stock suspension geometry, cheaper than susp. lift

con's - doesn't increase ground clearance or articulation, possible towing issues

btw were you the black h3 on 35 south yesterday? (yellow h3)
Old 07-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

If you do any serious water or creeks, a lift can help, but don't forget to raise the exhaust tip as much as possible and check your trans and axle vent tubes for extensions.
I had a 1986 Ford F250 4X4 Heavy Duty with a 460 engine that I had lifted 6 inches. The work was done professionaly by Midwest 4 wheel drive - home of Big Foot. I can definitley tell you the negatives.
No matter how good the work, they will eat up universals on drive shafts on a regular basis.
Don't lift it without a driveshaft loop.
Raising the center of gravity makes it much tippier, and in a serious crosswind on the highway the front end will hunt and search a lot.
Understeer in the dirt, snow and mud will be worse than stock.
Get a larger transmission cooler, because it will run hotter do to increased torque on the driveline because of the driveshaft angle.
You may need someone to fabricate a custom emergency brake steel line, because a stock one normally doesn't have enough play.
It was fun and I liked it, but unless I did more serious offroading and water, I'd think twice. Living with it day to day was another thing and now the state of Missouri has set maximum bumper heights that might make getting an inspection for plates impossible.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 PM

H3H is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
H3H,

Before getting anything lifted, make sure the product is produced by a reputable company. I'm not sure what other's experiences are with Maximum Altitude, but I have never heard good things about them and saw a few of their trucks at a local auto show and they were down-right scary IMHO. There is an SUT that a local shop "fabbed" a lift for...long story short, the guy is suing for a new truck. Moral of the story is, you waited too long, spent too much money, and care about your new Hummer too much to half-ass something as invasive to the truck as a lift. Give the market a couple of months and there should be plenty of options.

S

BTW, if you plan to off-road it, I would recommend against anything more than 1" of body lift. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I myself want a 4-7 inch suspension lift, I'm just waiting for them to hit the market...
Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by black06atx:

pro's - can clear larger tires, you don't mess w/the stock suspension geometry, cheaper than susp. lift

con's - doesn't increase ground clearance or articulation, possible towing issues

btw were you the black h3 on 35 south yesterday? (yellow h3) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it probably was, so far i havent seen any other h3 in austin, and i do drive down south 35 everyday.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

where do you go, and how many end up going.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:35 PM

H3H is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3H:

btw were you the black h3 on 35 south yesterday? (yellow h3) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it probably was, so far i havent seen any other h3 in austin, and i do drive down south 35 everyday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The h3 couldn't of missed me...It was following me up until MLK... It had the chrome package, and looked like lux but not adventure. Must of been somebody else then...
Old 07-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

lift looks good but I hate they way they handel afterwords