H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

what was really funny was, I went to the dealer to pick up my SMA gas cover and saw all 10 new H2 with the rust in the same area. Kinda odd how people will pay big money for something with rust on it..........HEHEHE
don;t get me wrong I love my H2
<font color="#800000">&quot;IN HUMMER WE TRUST&quot;</font>
Old 05-21-2003, 09:34 PM

GA_GOLD is off the scale

Woogy,

If you've followed my past postings, you know this has been a frustrating surprise for me ..

I noticed my rust at about 4 months ...

I finally did get to spend about 1-1/2 hours with the dealer's service manager today .... He is very much aware this is not an insignificant problem....

One of the things he offered to pursue with GM on my behalf is a seperate component warranty so that if there are any future failures related to the rusting not covered under the existing warranty , I would not be out for repairs etc.... A move in the right direction ....

Like you've read here , you may be able to do some shade tree mechanic fixes ....

I still maintain when your spending over 50 K for a vehicle , you shouldn't have these issues.. It is not within the customer's expectations ...

I'll post more later ( friday ? ) ..but I've got to go !!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Skulz is off the scale

Thanks for the heads up Phil. I don't want to void the warranty. I still want to get the rust treatment.

I see that they also do remote starters and window tinting. I'm thinking about tinting the front two windows and the remote starter would be a nice addition.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skulz:
"I'm thinking about tinting the front two windows..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The H2 salesman suggested I get that done, and I've been toying with the idea since. I'm concerned that it'll be a red flag though. Even if you're not stopped just because of the tint, it is another charge the police could write you up for.

I travel through Georgia frequently, and it seems that some "local cops" just love to stop cars with Florida tags. Probably happens the opposite way too. The last ticket I got was for speeding 66mph in a 55mph zone, when I had the cruise set at 60. The deputy just smiled and offered to show me his radar display when I mentioned the cruise control.

I guess like most things in life, you just have to "takes your chances"? I do like the heavier tint, and now that I think about it more, I think I'm feeling lucky too!

Ed
Old 05-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just read the "Tint" thread posted a while back and the suggestion about rolling down the windows and turning on the interior lights if you're pulled over makes a lot of sense too!

I seem to recall hearing that law enforcement gets spooked (justifiably) when approaching a car they can't see into.

I think that now after reading this, I'll get mine tinted and just be ready to hit the window switches if I see blue & red lights in my mirror.

Glad I read this thread!

Thanks all, Ed
Old 05-27-2003, 06:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Skulz is off the scale

Just scheduled appt for Thursday for rust & underbody coating. The guy said they'd cover anything that GM wouldn't cover under warranty if the Ziebart caused something to go wrong. $319 for both (3 hr job) and the option to bring it in yearly for an inspection and touch up for $34.99 or something.

I might seriously consider that diamond treatment as well that West Point H2 had done to his rig.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The diamond coat paint protectant is well worth the $ as well... no waxing for 5 years, or so they say. It is very easy to remove dirt though, everything, and I mean everything rinses off completely at the car wash. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hopefully it is still holding up well for him.

I'm holding off on the remote start (not sure I'd use it too often...yet) and window tinting (as there is a legal issue with front windows being tinted in my state).
Old 05-27-2003, 08:11 PM

buddy is off the scale

Where did all the rust proofing shops go in Jacksonville? I opened the phone book and there's one little line in the yellow pages, some small local body shop. No Ziebart or any other national chain, No Guarantee...You would think with all the salt water/air mix around these parts, a rust control shop would be a profitable business. Maybe they all got rusted out and closed. Who knows...
Old 05-29-2003, 12:16 AM

buddy is off the scale

Phil,

Well, you may say the job was complete. Good idea on taking the skid plate off.

Do you have any idea what was applied to kill and prevent further rusting? Something that could be bought at an auto paint supply?

Since having only one small shop that does rust treatments, I may end up just keep after the rust with rust converter myself. I know that's a never ending PITA though.

The salt air is so thick around here everything that can rust, will rust and fast. I've seen vehicles parked outside at the beach, get serious rust damage within one year. It helps to do a daily rinsing and frequent thorough washings.

It shouldn't take long to determine how effective the treatment is. You're exposure to the salt air is very much like mine. Just a downside of living near the beach. Time will tell. Money well spent.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:02 AM

West Point H2 is off the scale

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I'm doing a major home makeover and running 2 companies simultaneously. The Ziebart thus far has held up flawlessly... no rust anywhere. Cosmetically, I agree with Phil, it's a THICK coating of gunk. Hey, if it does the job who cares. I also had the inner door panels done.
Also, so far so good on the DiamondCoat... still gleaming. Phil, what paint did you use on your rear tire carrier ? Mine has 4-5 chips and I'd like to touch them up before they turn orange. I look forward to your posts, you seem to be one of best informed contributors on this sight... you've helped me through more than a few issues.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:14 PM

Loggie is off the scale

Guys and Gals,
Why even tint the front two window's at all. The factory tint is enough. The problem most people have after they have tinted the driver's and passengers front two windows is they can't see out of them very well at night while driving. That is dangerous to me. I had my other vehicles in the past tinted in front and noticed at night I had a problem seeing out of them at night.
Safety is paramount.
Loggie
Old 05-29-2003, 01:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by West Point H2:
"I look forward to your (PhilD's) posts, you seem to be one of best informed contributors on this sight... you've helped me through more than a few issues."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I second that opinion!

Thanks a LOT PhilD !!!

Ed
Old 05-29-2003, 04:43 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Can you post some picks of the Ziebart and your windows???

And you said they did the Wheels Wells too??

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder