H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ma\'Deuce is off the scale

I called progressive to have my insurance switched from my avalanche to new H3 and the fella informs me that my premium will go up by about 40bucks a year! WTF??? i say. he begins to tell me that the amount of claims the new H3 has had is the reason. i say, "explain please" and he says that prolly because of the damage done to the other vehicles. i say "Bulls@#t!" of course. then he says well, let me get my mngr. manager says "due to the popularity of the vehicle and the amount of thefts of the H3, they have had to raise the premium". anyone else run into this? I'm going to do some insurance shopping this week and try to get a better price.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

My insurance through Farm Bureau of MI went down about 200 a year, and that was from a '03 Vette. At the time, I was the first at Farm Bureau to insure a H3, and the agent had to get the price from the home office. He said they based the insurance price on the H2 history for claims (theft and accident), then backed off the price due to replacement costs being less, and also backed off due to a smaller engine.
They gave me discounts for the passkey anti-theft feature, OnStar (I have to prove it is active after the first year free service to keep that discount), ABS, and the agent asked if an auto or a manual, and the auto was less expensive (he thought it was due to the stability control feature).

In addition, at that time, NHTSA crash tests were not completed, only information from GM was available, so hopefully, now that it got a five star (driver) four star (passenger) head on, and a five star side, and a low rollover (for an SUV) it might go down.

I can't believe they are involved in that many accidents, and I can't believe they are high on the theft list...yet. Only way to steal one is to tow the damn thing, unless a person leaves the key in the vehicle.
I would guess the reason the price is high is there is no true history on the vehicle, it has been on the market less than a year.

Call around to other companies....
Old 02-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

nick96ss is off the scale

i have allstate and mine went down 100 from my wrangler basically all insurance companies are rip offs...
Old 02-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

Mine went up $50. But I went from a Crown Victoria Police Interceptor to the H3 so I expected it. Insurance is a rip off!
Old 02-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Hummer Novice

macwag is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine went up $105. I previously had a 1999 Bravada.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Steve - SanJose

Mine went up $90/year with the H3. Previous vehicle was 2002 Toyota Highlander. I expected the insurance to go up slightly due to newer, more expensive vehicle.

Same Porsche as second car in comparison.

No complaints w/CSAA.

S.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Hummer Novice

TheTKDKid is off the scale

Mine will be going down approximaely $1500/year. I am switching from an '05 Porsche Cayenne TT.
Old 02-26-2006, 11:06 PM

Surferjo is off the scale

Mine went down about $80 from my 2004 Wrangler (which had accessory coverage)
Old 02-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

We also have a Mitsubishi Montero Sport 4x4 that is a few years old and the H3 is less than our older suv.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

TA8088 is off the scale

Mine went down about 100 per year after I traded my 02 Navigator in on the H3.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:20 AM
Hummer Professional

oneworld is off the scale

If you can buy an H3 is forty bucks realy a problem I dont get it. WOW thats almost a tank of gas > In one year > you better be careful your water bill will probably go up to from washing it. Maybe you should sell it and get SMARTCAR
Old 02-28-2006, 01:35 PM

Hrlyrider is off the scale

We traded an 03 Avalanche for the H3 and our insurance also went up $40.00 a year. Our insurance is through State Farm.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

sltbluh3 is off the scale

Mine went up 260 a year. I had a 97 Z71 Extended cab. I have AIG insurance.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Hummer Veteran

KB7TCV is off the scale

my insurance dropped over half. Went from 594 every 6 months on an 04 canyon crew cab to 270 every 6 mo on 06 H3. switched from progressive to allstate $1000 deductable on both policies
Old 03-03-2006, 01:53 PM

WV Humm\'EER is off the scale

All vehicles are classed according to their performance and what they are used for. The rate for my Hummer is basically the same as my Dodge Dakota which surprised me really. I thought that the Hummer would be rated a little higher because of their offroad capabilities. Also, it depends on how you use your vehicle. Driving to work versus pleasure use. Annual mileage also plays a factor. Their are tons of ways to lower your premium. Just so you know I'm an insurance agent.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

Ma\'Deuce is off the scale

WvHumm"eer,
thanks for the tips. So, what is the right answer to the buisness or pleasure question. i answered, "it's to drive to work". they never asked about miles, but i drive a lot. i still haven't gotten around to shoping other Ins. companys. So what are some insider tips for those of us that would like to lower our rates. can you spill? I was just under the impression that the safer the vehicle and the better your driving record, the better rates you get.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

HUMRCHIC is off the scale

Mine here in WV went down 200 bucks, and that is with Full coverage and the same policy I had on the Yukon. It has more airbags and is considered by them to be safer I guess. I do have the roof rail airbags and the roll-over sensor though. I use State Farm.

See where other H3 owners are. Click Here

http://www.frappr.com/hummerh3owners

Join our Hummer Community and CHAT live with other H3 owners!!!
http://groups.msn.com/H3Owners
Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 AM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

Mine went down $300 a year from a 2001 Ford Escape. The agent said no claims yet (mine was the first one in Ontario)and a safer vechical were the reasons for the lower price.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:14 PM

WV Humm\'EER is off the scale

Quote:
WvHumm"eer,
thanks for the tips. So, what is the right answer to the buisness or pleasure question. i answered, "it's to drive to work". they never asked about miles, but i drive a lot. i still haven't gotten around to shoping other Ins. companys. So what are some insider tips for those of us that would like to lower our rates. can you spill? I was just under the impression that the safer the vehicle and the better your driving record, the better rates you get.

Good driving records do play a major role in your rate. Most companies are now going on credit score as well. The particular company I sell for goes on a combination of credit score and claim history. You get a score based on both. The lower the score the lower the premium. You and I could have the same vehicle and the same distance to work but if your score is better than mine your rate will be cheaper.

To answer the driving to work versus pleasure question. It depends on how far you drive to work and how much mileage you put on your vehicle each year. If you drive a short distance the pleasure use and work rate won't be very different from each other.

Ok, quite a few ways to trim your premium down. See what limits you carry now and check and see what your state requires. Find something you feel comfortable with. Also, check what is required by your state. A lot of times agents just have a default quote they give. You may be able to eliminate some things right there. The easiest way is to increase your deductibles. The higher the deductible the lower the premium. Fortunately, you don't have to increase both deductibles to get a rate decrease (in most states). You could raise your collision deductible to $1,000 but leave your comprehensive (glass breakage, vandalism, theft, animal damage) at $250 or $500.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

I went from an 04 RX8 to the H3 and my rate went down about $120.00 per year.