H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Thanks Rodster, for the price I think I'l get the permanent install. I found a good price on it the one you recommended from radio shack a block away from my office here. What do you guys do - run the twin external antennas?

Cringing at the thought of running another wire down the column after running wires for the OR lights.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:05 PM

Bondage is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Racer-X:
Thanks Rodster, for the price I think I'l get the permanent install. I found a good price on it the one you recommended from radio shack a block away from my office here. What do you guys do - run the twin external antennas?

Cringing at the thought of running another wire down the column after running wires for the OR lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, that Cobra Rodster mentioned IS popular! That's what I'm using too. Haven't got around to the permanent install yet, since my temp fix works so damn well! I got a screw-on cig lighter adapter and use that at the end of the Cobra power leads. I plug it into the rear of the center console, put the unit under the driver's seat, and run the antenna wire up through the rear grab handle behind the driver's side headrest and out the top to the rack mounted antenna. Close the door on it and your good to go! The mic cord then runs between the center console and the driver's seat so the mic can sit on the top of the console. It works as well as a permanent install - and I just unplug it all and take it out when I'm not using it.

The Cobra 75WXST is outstanding. If I took the time to properly ground the antenna and tune the damn thing it'd be even better!

Sean
Old 01-19-2006, 09:55 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Racer-X:
Thanks Rodster, for the price I think I'l get the permanent install. I found a good price on it the one you recommended from radio shack a block away from my office here. What do you guys do - run the twin external antennas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good question. I just went through that last week. Here's the play by play: http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...1/m/7071006251

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cringing at the thought of running another wire down the column after running wires for the OR lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been there, cringed that! I went down the passenger's side, thinking the driver's side had already been punished enough. In hindsight, the driver's side would have been much easier. Either side is pretty much the same run from the roof through the A-pillar but under the dash is a whole different game. Look under the passenger side and you'll see what I mean!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:58 PM

rodster is off the scale

BTW, Sean, just got our first confirm from the email I sent last night. He's in an H2 has a friend with a Rover that may join us, too.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:51 PM

Bondage is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
BTW, Sean, just got our first confirm from the email I sent last night. He's in an H2 has a friend with a Rover that may join us, too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!! We need to find some H3 folks! I've only got a couple of "possibles" on the H3 front.

Sean
Old 01-20-2006, 12:09 AM

rodster is off the scale

Agreed. H3s would be good. I PMed an H3 guy here on the forum from Vegas.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:18 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

Stopped and bought a cb on the way home tonight. I was going to go with the dual antennas until I saw the set they had were 48" long. So I ended up getting this.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103576&cp

I'm told this will shoot through the metal chasis even better than through the glass. I should have no trouble finding a place to mount it.

Depending how much time I have I may do a temp set up like Sean did for now.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:03 AM

Bondage is off the scale

Stopped and bought a cb on the way home tonight. I was going to go with the dual antennas until I saw the set they had were 48" long. So I ended up getting this.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103576&cp

I'm told this will shoot through the metal chasis even better than through the glass. I should have no trouble finding a place to mount it.

Depending how much time I have I may do a temp set up like Sean did for now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our friend has dual 48"s mounted on spring mounts. When we follow him down an undulating trail, the phrase "Danger, Will Robinson...DANGER" keeps coming to mind. I kinda like the look. I went with a single 48 on a spring. Half the robot, so to speak.

Sean
Old 01-20-2006, 02:08 AM

rodster is off the scale

A temp install may not get you the longest range possible but it'll be fine for the weekend. We'll all be near each other anyway.

The Cobra is a pretty cool gizmo, eh? I got mine at Radio Shack, too. Could have saved a few bucks buying it online but that meant waiting. Waiting is not good!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:51 AM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Waiting is not good! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, I can see you and I will get along good!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:18 AM

Bondage is off the scale

When I order from on line, I always get a tracking number and then check it every hour to see where my new toy is! Patience is NOT a virtue!

Sean
Old 01-20-2006, 05:48 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bondage:
When I order from on line, I always get a tracking number and then check it every hour to see where my new toy is! Patience is NOT a virtue! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was doing the UPS-tracking-page-reload-thing today and sure enough, up rolled my new J-cans in the big brown truck.

I've learned that if you just buy somethig online every, oh, let's say day, then every day UPS shows up!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Bondage is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bondage:
When I order from on line, I always get a tracking number and then check it every hour to see where my new toy is! Patience is NOT a virtue! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was doing the UPS-tracking-page-reload-thing today and sure enough, up rolled my new J-cans in the big brown truck.

I've learned that if you just buy somethig online every, oh, let's say day, then every day UPS shows up! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMFAO We ARE going to get along. BTW - Gobi cans?

Sean
Old 01-20-2006, 02:13 PM

rodster is off the scale

BTW - Gobi cans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. These. I wanted metal cans this time.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:40 PM

Bondage is off the scale

BTW - Gobi cans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope. These. I wanted metal cans this time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OUTSTANDING! Except for the Communist red color.....

Being so old fashioned that I still send text e-mails, I was hesitant about the plastic ones. Where and how will you mount them? I would prefer steel, but was a little worried about the powder coat on my rack with metal cans...?

Sean
Old 01-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Hummer Authority

Racer-X is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would prefer steel, but was a little worried about the powder coat on my rack with metal cans...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be worried about that also. How about glueing rubber mat to one side of the can? That would help with slippage also.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:06 PM

Bondage is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would prefer steel, but was a little worried about the powder coat on my rack with metal cans...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be worried about that also. How about glueing rubber mat to one side of the can? That would help with slippage also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well there's a fine idea.

Sean
Old 01-20-2006, 04:35 PM

Bondage is off the scale

UPDATE!!!
HMR Magazine is trying to arrange a reporter/photographer to join us!

Sean
Old 01-20-2006, 04:51 PM

Bondage is off the scale

Just remembered: I read once that groups of more than 7 vehicles require a pass from NPS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay. I hate paying money to the government so they will tell me it's okay to use OUR land while they try to take the pleasure away from us at every turn...BUT

I submitted the form and paid the fee. Looks like we will have way in excess of the 7 vehicle limit.

BTW - they ask the STRANGEST question on the form. "Is this an exercise of First Amendment Rights?" WTF??? I have a call in to them to see how in the hell one is supposed to answer that! LOL Just about everything every American does every day would qualify as a yes!

Odd.

Sean
Old 01-20-2006, 06:10 PM

rodster is off the scale

How about glueing rubber mat to one side of the can? That would help with slippage also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes indeed, brilliant minds think alike.

Home Depot and Lowes both carry thick rubber floor mats with drain holes in them. They're 3x3 and you can cut them into 1x1 squares. Attach to rack with plastic wire ties and you have a cushioned ride for anything metal. A ratchet strap holds the cans down.

That all now said, I also bought another, non-traditional fuel container. It's going to take some modifying to make it work but if it does, it'll be schweeet.

I have four plastic cans to keep gas in around the house. No stinkin' way would I carry those on my truck. Some plastic ones are good but mine ain't those. El Cheapos from HD.

------

Good show on the permit. How much of your money did they charge for the pleasure of driving on our land?