H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

My front right tire started rubbing the stabilizer bar on left tight turns after the dealer aligned my front end (routine maintenance they claim) any idea why and how they could mess this one up?

Thanks
"2003 Sage green LUX, wrapped around brush guard with off road lamps, roof mounted SMA light bar, AirAid Jr. kit, Delphi Touchscreen Navigation Radio with a 6 CD changer and more! Also a member of the HOPE (Hummer Owners Prepared for Emergencies) pro
Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

My front right tire started rubbing the stabilizer bar on left tight turns after the dealer aligned my front end (routine maintenance they claim) any idea why and how they could mess this one up?

Thanks
"2003 Sage green LUX, wrapped around brush guard with off road lamps, roof mounted SMA light bar, AirAid Jr. kit, Delphi Touchscreen Navigation Radio with a 6 CD changer and more! Also a member of the HOPE (Hummer Owners Prepared for Emergencies) pro
Old 11-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

sorta a thread jack...My H2 does not do it, but you remind me of an old Jeep I had. I had an 87 wrangler that turned ULTRA tight one way, and not tight the other way. It was super annoying. After I fixed everything else (major things IE: motor, trans..) Then I sold it, and never got to it. Could that have been fixed with an alighment?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

VT, parenthood is coming real soon isn't it? How many days away is it supposed to be?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Go someplace else for the alignment. Dealer also caused a rub (and uneven wear) on mine - Discount Tire aligne them perfectly.

Stacy
Old 11-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
VT, parenthood is coming real soon isn't it? How many days away is it supposed to be? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Oh yea - it happend Monday! Went to the hospital at about 1AM, and had a beautiful daughter at 9:10AM. My wife and the baby are doing well!
Old 11-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
LOL! Oh yea - it happend Monday! Went to the hospital at about 1AM, and had a beautiful daughter at 9:10AM. My wife and the baby are doing well! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations to you and your wife, that is great

Did you post about it and I missed it? Anyway happy to hear they are both doing well.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 11-19-2005, 03:09 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
LOL! Oh yea - it happend Monday! Went to the hospital at about 1AM, and had a beautiful daughter at 9:10AM. My wife and the baby are doing well! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happy baby to you...

This really does deserve its own thread, yes?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:53 PM

VernB is off the scale

VTSTOMPER - Congratulations put a cigar in your post
Old 11-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Congratulations on the new baby.
As far as going to Discount tire over a
dealer for alignments, please, don't insult me.
It is always possible that any shop can not do as good of a job as another shop but you will always consistently get better work from a dealership. If you have bad luck with one, don't assume the rest are that way.
Now as far as the reason this thread was started in the first place, about 30% of all h2's have the rf tire rub from day one. It is doubtfull that aligning it made it worse, it is likely that you just didn't notice it until then. The real problem has nothing to do with the front wheel alignment. If you look at your sway bar, you will notice it is not centered properly. There is more sticking out on the rh side than the left.
To correct it, loosen up your 4 10mm bolts that hold the sway bar to the frame, take a pry bar and scoot the bar over some so it is centered better, then tighten it up. A little spray white lithium grease in the bushings will help it slide through the bushings easier. It shouldn't take you more than 10 minuites to do.
And for anyone who thinks that Discount tire is better than a dealership, take your truck up there and see if how long it takes them to fix it.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
VT, parenthood is coming real soon isn't it? How many days away is it supposed to be? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CONGRATS! Another future hummer lover!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks gang!

I posted a thread in off topic. Sorry about the thread jack in this one!
Old 11-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

Hey VTSTOMPER congrats on the new arrival and thanks to every one on your opinion of this issue Hummertech I will try it and let you know if by centering the bar it goes away, just by looking at it seem to be centered but I will measure it properly.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2005, 02:31 AM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats, VT!!!! Glad to see everyone is doing well. We definitely need to see some pics.

Hummertech - I didn't mean to dis you or dealers in general - I have a problem with mine in particular. There are some dealers that are better than others - JamesT will attest to that as well. When I had my alignment done, I was told that there was a range of values that were "ok," and as long as things were in that range, the alignment was good. Well, my numbers were in that range, but the rub was NOT ok with me - the dealer assured me it was normal. 3,000 miles later, I'm buying a new tire that's chewed up from a bad alignment.

I have been taken care of a lot better by Discount Tire than by my dealer. DC has gone out of their way to get me backordered tires, a new tire in 1 hour, fix any minor vibrations, etc. It's like pulling teeth to get things done at my dealer, such that each time I go in, I go in with a list - and about 60% of that list gets ignored, resulting in delays and what was supposed to be a 2 hour appt taking 5 days (this has happened multiple times now). It's at the point that I'm willing to live with a lot of H2 nuances that are repairable via warranty (like loose door seals) just so I won't be without my truck and stuck driving a crappy rental for a week.

Bottom line? I need to find a new dealer, but with the next closest one being a 4 hour drive away, I don't see that happening anytime soon. YOU need to move to SA, we could use some good service down here.

Stacy
Old 11-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

It happened becasue they did it wrong! Have them do it over. No need for a rub that did not exist before.

I can also take my hands off the wheel at 100 MPH and they both track true.

Seems like few people can do a decent alignment these days.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

FIXED the bar was centered and no more problem....