H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Real life gas mileage?

Don't know where you live, but if you drive 60 mph in Florida, you're going to get run over !!!!!!!

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 07-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGCOFTN
A lot of it depends on where you live, and how you drive. Those who live where its a lot of hills, and steep inclines, its only natural you wont get as good as fuel economy as someone who lives in northwestern Mississippi where its all flat land. On the hills, your engine is downshifting which is raising the rpms and using more fuel where as if your on flat level land, your staying in overdrive the whole time.

Some of us have heavy foots..........while others tend to drive like there is a egg under the gas pedal.

From my experience.........I use my 2008 H2 for over the road, and cruise at 60---64mph. It gets a steady 19 Miles Per Gallon driving this way. From my experience, I dont recommend the cruise control, cause when using the cruise control, it seems like it downshifts more going up the hills where as if your are using your foot, you can gently let off the pressure to keep it in overdrive.

I use my 2007 H2 for mainly local use ( driving Country Back Roads ) which I normally cruise at 50mph on. These roads are out in the middle of no where, with just fields, cows, horses, and trees, NO stopping and going at all. By driving like this, I have gotten as much as 19 miles per gallon with the 6.0 Liter.........but now that the stupid government as mandated all this ignorent ethenol in the gas.........NO vehicle gets good gas mileage now. So my 2007 normally gets around 15mpg give or take a little.

Again..........I cant stress this enough.......it all depends on HOW you drive, and what kind of land/city/town you live in. Someone who lives in a very populated area where its a lot of stop signs/red lights, traffic, your NOT gonna get the great of fuel economy.

I know I have shared this little story on here before, but before the government mandated all this stupid ethenol in our gas, I had a 2007 Cadillac Escalade with the 6.2 Liter in it, and believe it or not, got a whopping 24mpg with it. ( cruising at 60--64mph ) flat level land, country area, no red lights, no stop signs, all cruising. But in the everyday world........this is impossible.
But just wanted to share it with you all.

Proud owners of a
2007 Hummer H2 ( Yellow )
2008 Hummer H2 ( Solar Flare )

I have never heard of any h2 owner even getting close to these numbers you suggest you are getting. Is your MPG computer reading correctly? The only time someone says we could get over 15 MPG is when they are thrying to sell us something.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Guinnessboy is on a distinguished road

already do both....sticking with shell gas as well, but 87 like the 6.0 is suppose to take.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

TGCOFTN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intercooled
I have never heard of any h2 owner even getting close to these numbers you suggest you are getting. Is your MPG computer reading correctly? The only time someone says we could get over 15 MPG is when they are thrying to sell us something.

This is how I calculate my fuel economy. When I stop at the gas station, I will top my tank ALL THE WAY UP to the neck (to where I can visually see the gas) once the pump prints out my reciept, I will write my mileage down.

I will take off on a long road trip to where its 98% highway driving. When I need gas, I will top it off to the neck again.......write my mileage down on the reciept. Get my ending mileage and subtract it from my starting mileage, and divide it into the gallons I purchased at my second fuel up. And thats when it tells me my MPG.

I dont go by the computer on the dash, I find it NOT right.

Again......for my 2008 H2, its used mainly for over the road trips, NOT stopping and going, in traffic, downtown, traffic, etc. When I go on my road trips they are pretty much 98% highway speeds at 60---64mph at the very maximum speed. The only time the Hummer leaves the highway is for a quick restroom break, to refuel, or to get something to eat.

I know everyday driving, especially if you live in the city.......these numbers are DEF. IMPOSSIBLE. But for my 2008, It may sit in the garage 2 weeks and not get driven, and then in one single day put over 1,000 miles on it (Business trip)
Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschett
Don't know where you live, but if you drive 60 mph in Florida, you're going to get run over !!!!!!!

I will agree with you on the Florida Turn Pike, people do let it roll!!!!!

But when on the highways where I live.......its really not that bad to keep a speed of 60---64mph.

When you really think about it........thats what most all your major truck lines have there trucks goverened at and those trucks run coast to coast.
To name a few ( Yellow Freight, Roadway Express, J.B. Hunt, USA Truck, and many others ).

Maybe to others.......they enjoy running 90mph but for me, I would rather just relax, enjoy the view, listen to the radio, and not have to worry about a speeding ticket, and not that I am worried over gas, because if I was, I would of purchased something else besides 2 Hummers.......but by doing this, I am reaching high mpg numbers that most Hummer owners never get. When you add up the savings in gas.....you would be amazed.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinnessboy
already do both....sticking with shell gas as well, but 87 like the 6.0 is suppose to take.

You should try running a few tanks of V-Power and see if you notice better MPG. The truth is, most vehicles say to use regular unleaded, but there is DEF. a difference. When running regular your engine pings and knocks, starves for power, and downshifts MORE. When it downshifts more, its using more rpm's which uses more gas so while you maybe saving a buck at the pump, your not going as far on a tank of gas so when you weigh it out, what are you really saving?

Not bashing you in anyway.......if you want to use regular thats fine, cause a lot of people do.......but everyone seems shocked at my mpg figures so I am just explaining how I achieve those numbers.

I dont know how you and everyone else drive......but there is a difference on how people drive, and I will give you a example......with me, I take off slow, get it to around 1900--2000rpms and let it shift, but if you compare my driving to my brother.......when he takes off, he lets his get up to around 3000rpms and shifts (Jack Rabbit Take Offs)
Old 07-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

Guess the bottom line is I didn't buy a H2 to worry about the gas milage or to even think about it !!

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 07-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

I am the same way Porschett, I didn't buy mine to worry about the gas either. I knew they were not fuel efficent vehicles that got 30 and 40 miles per gallon. Before I got them, I was really expecting the low teens going by what most people was getting with them. I am really shocked at the fuel economy I get with mine, but I was not expecting it. No matter what I drive, I tend to stick around 60-64mph.........I just tend to be a careful, cautious driver, and the # 1 key bonus for keeping this speed is, I never have to worry about a speeding ticket. Perfect Driving record and plan on keeping it that way
Old 07-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Hummer Expert

twenty2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Living in burbs of Chicago and driving is ALWAYS stop and go traffic. I run 35's Nittos with 20's, and Im running 11.7-11.9 MPG.
2003 H2 Lux Series. Murdered Out! 20x10 Eagle Wrapped with Nitto Mud Grapplers 35x12.5x20 Full tint including windshield, full LED interior, K&N Intake, HID Headlights & Fogs, Plasti Dip Skid plate & front/back Lower Bumpers, List goes on!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

It must be the way I drive because unless I drive like a little ol' lady and ABSOLUTELY baby the throttle, coast to stops, etc, then and only then can I average 11-12 mpg around town.

Other than that, it's a solid 9.5 all the time. Even when I had my '03 with the supercharger, it only got 9'ish around town.

On the highway, my '03 was worse, it got 7-8mpg and my '06 still gets around 9, maybe 10mpg.

Guess that's why I tool around in my JCW mini all the time... 250ft lbs of torque at the wheels and 32 mpg. (not to mention it's a blast to drive.... )
Old 07-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

Well I got back from my road trip (Chicago to northern Florida). The best I was able to get was 14.48mpg. I filled up in Cobb county Georgia after getting through the mountain area of Tennesse/Northern Georgia with Shell 87, I proceeded to maintain speeds between 70-80mph with a gentle/steady pedal, I was also running the AC.....when I got to around 3/8 of a tank we stopped for something to drink along with a bathroom break, I topped off and got my results. The rest of my fill ups netted me anywhere from high 12's to upper 13's depending on overall speed and whether the land was flat..... going through the mountains really sucks up the gas. There is not a doubt in my mind if someone kept is at 65 or less that you could easily see 16+ I just cant drive that slow

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 07-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to be home, although I just loved Colorado! After 670 miles on I 70 from Dillon, CO to Missouri, I averaged 12.04 mpg with the cruise control set on 72 mph with just myself and some bags. The lie-o-meter said 12.2 mpg, but dividing the mileage by the gallons used gave me the 12.04 figure. Worst part of the entire trip was going through western MO right after sunset and stopping to clean the bugs off the windshield and headlights!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Elcova Newbie

lilacCopper is on a distinguished road

You can definitely get more mileage by lowering the weight of the car and using better gas
Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

vetteSUT is on a distinguished road

OrangeCrush you have a JCW Mini? Wow, where's the pics of that next to the Hummer! I used to have a S, and they are like a golfcart on steroids. Would make to be a great daily driver.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Elcova Newbie

ZyBeR is on a distinguished road

I've converted my 06 SUV to E85 with a FlexFuel box. After a 600km highway drive I've average 10.2MPG on E85. That's 22" with grapplers, driving 50-70 mph.
On regular fuel I get around 13 MPG on highway driving.

All MPG numbers are calculated when re-fueling as the computers readings are way off.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

Vark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyBeR
I've converted my 06 SUV to E85 with a FlexFuel box. After a 600km highway drive I've average 10.2MPG on E85. That's 22" with grapplers, driving 50-70 mph.
On regular fuel I get around 13 MPG on highway driving.

All MPG numbers are calculated when re-fueling as the computers readings are way off.
Are you eco friendly (no pun)? I mean e-85 is cheaper, but you use more of it and lose power, so it probably come out more expensive, right?
Well, there's no e-85 in florida anyway.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vark
Are you eco friendly (no pun)? I mean e-85 is cheaper, but you use more of it and lose power, so it probably come out more expensive, right?
Well, there's no e-85 in florida anyway.

I agree with you.......all this flexfuel crap, they can keep. Thats not being eco friendly at all. If the stupid government wants to be eco friendly, they should remove all this ethanol out of the gas so that ALL vehicles will get MORE MILES PER GALLON.

I dont burn recommend anyone using E-85......sure its cheaper, but as you said, you lose power, and you use more of it.......so what are you saving? You may save 3 bucks at the pump, but if your going 60 miles LESS on a tank of gas.......the question is.......are you really saving?

I will continue to burn Premium Only.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 AM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this is good or bad gas mileage, you decide.

Last edited by Tex_h2 : 12-17-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_h2

Ouch!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_h2

My 2007 Hummer has 30,000 miles on it.........and my 2008 Hummer has 15,000 miles on it. I have honestly NEVER EVER EVER seen mine that low or even close to that. If mine showed up that low, I would honestly think its something wrong with the engine.

If I am stopping and going quit a bit, it will drop down in the LOW 12's but on the highways (60mph) its always shows between 15---20mpg

*** OF COURSE I DONT RELY 100% ON THE FUEL ECONOMY METER, I always write my mileage on my fuel reciept when I fill it up at the pump, and then when I refuel, I will subtract my mileage and divide it into the gallons I purchased ****