H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

I'm planning to get a new H3 for my wife and kids, I will wait for the side curtain airbags (early September) I have asked the dealer about nav systems and they answer me that GM will not offer one on the H3 (for now) any idea on the nav system?

Thanks.
"2003 Sage green LUX, wrapped around brush guard with off road lamps, roof mounted SMA light bar, AirAid Jr. kit, Delphi Touchscreen Navigation Radio with a 6 CD changer and more! Also a member of the HOPE (Hummer Owners Prepared for Emergencies) pro
Old 08-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

I'm planning to get a new H3 for my wife and kids, I will wait for the side curtain airbags (early September) I have asked the dealer about nav systems and they answer me that GM will not offer one on the H3 (for now) any idea on the nav system?

Thanks.
"2003 Sage green LUX, wrapped around brush guard with off road lamps, roof mounted SMA light bar, AirAid Jr. kit, Delphi Touchscreen Navigation Radio with a 6 CD changer and more! Also a member of the HOPE (Hummer Owners Prepared for Emergencies) pro
Old 08-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Hummer Professional

aggiehummer...er is off the scale

The H3s with airbags have already started hitting our store. As far as the Nav goes, we still haven't been able to order them yet with Nav. What we've done is put an Eclipse navigation system in that fits perfectly where the head unit was, it works really nicely.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aggiehummer...er:
What we've done is put an Eclipse navigation system in that fits perfectly where the head unit was, it works really nicely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will this work with the rest of the Monsoon system?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-09-2005, 02:02 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

GM is aiming for release of NAV in 6-8 weeks. It is the faceplate that is holding things up. The vendor is suppose to match the interior silver parts with the NAV.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

Thanks every one for your response, I will place my order when they are available.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aggiehummer...er:
What we've done is put an Eclipse navigation system in that fits perfectly where the head unit was, it works really nicely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will this work with the rest of the Monsoon system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it may sound even better, since the eclipse nav has a better amp in it...

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 08-10-2005, 08:52 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

I was told by a company that if you have the monsoon, you need some sort of add-on for any aftermarket radio or nav to work. He said the monsoon will fry the unit.

???
Old 08-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Hummer Professional

HoKC is off the scale

I have not heard that before, maybe he was trying to upsell you???
Old 08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummer Guy:
Actually it may sound even better, since the eclipse nav has a better amp in it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can go look it up but in case you happen to know, how much power does it have? What about power for the sub?

Old 08-10-2005, 09:36 PM

tacocat is off the scale

I remember reading on here that the Monsoon system is designed around 2 ohm speakers. Most car stereo equipment is designed around 4 ohm speakers.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:49 PM
Hummer Guru

I totally forgot about that. I believe it might have been MrHank.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:52 PM

Iceman47 is off the scale

The H3s with airbags have already started hitting our store. As far as the Nav goes, we still haven't been able to order them yet with Nav. What we've done is put an Eclipse navigation system in that fits perfectly where the head unit was, it works really nicely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you give us the model number of the unit?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:04 AM

hyperion78 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3Lady:
I was told by a company that if you have the monsoon, you need some sort of add-on for any aftermarket radio or nav to work. He said the monsoon will fry the unit.

??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could see that being a possibilty... I think if you have two amps in line you need something to protect the amps from each other or else they fight. One of the audio guys might correct me or provide more detail into this. But I would be leary of putting another headunit in unless it was protected.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Hummer Guru

I might get a chance to check with my local shop tomorrow. The easiest way I can see doing it is if your new head unit has a built in amp that you can run the front and rear speakers with and a sub out to run to your sub amp. That is if there is a seperate amp in the monsoon system for the sub and it will take RCA inputs. I don't believe I have seen a factory amp that does though. If the speakers are running 2 ohm then you would have to deal with the impedance issues as well. If I find out anything tomorrow, I will let everyone know.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:29 AM

grimley is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GM is aiming for release of NAV in 6-8 weeks. It is the faceplate that is holding things up. The vendor is suppose to match the interior silver parts with the NAV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks while deciding on my new vehicle.
I am pretty much set on a slate blue H3 and an aftermarket nav system, probably the Pioneer Avic-D1. However, I don't like the look of the aftermarket nav screens in H3s I have seen photos of because the black faceplate surrounding doesn't look "right" with the silver dash.
Do you know if this new nav system that GM are offering actually has a touch screen with maps, or is it the simple one line of text and speech unit described on the hummer site?
Thanks,
grimley
Old 08-11-2005, 03:34 AM

tacocat is off the scale

I was thinking about this on the way home. The aftermarket harness probably uses the speaker output wires from the deck and converts it into line-in inputs for the amps. I don't think the factory amps use RCA inputs.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:51 AM

H3Lady is off the scale

wait for gm, i am sure it is touch screen and the faceplate matched the dash

Here ya go

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/d/int_nav_radio.pdf
Old 08-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tacocat:
I was thinking about this on the way home. The aftermarket harness probably uses the speaker output wires from the deck and converts it into line-in inputs for the amps. I don't think the factory amps use RCA inputs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

99% chance this is the case and I would be shocked if the factory amp accepted RCA cables. You could get a line level converter if need be though.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3Lady:
wait for gm, i am sure it is touch screen and the faceplate matched the dash

Here ya go

http://www.delphi.com/pdf/d/int_nav_radio.pdf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it going to be the same on as in the H2? One thing I can't stand about that one is that you can not use the NAV and listen to a CD without a changer