H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

myrddin is on a distinguished road
Default Looking to replace tires soon

I know there are many posts out there and many different answers. I wanted to ask a slightly different question.

I have the factory tires on my H2, I have no problems with them, and they are super quiet and work well in snow and light trail and so on... The amount of usage is great... in fact I think they just about dry rot before you can run them bald. I guess on to the point...

Should I consider another tire, and if so why? Also should I consider upping to 37's, if so why?

I have had a few jeeps in the past highly modded, and the thing I hated most was when I drove them on the road, the tires were too loud and too soft. I hardly ever get to do any trail riding anymore, unless its driving across the soccer field to get a better parking spot the main thing I am concerned with is snow and ice, when there is some. I need traction to pull the wife out of snow and or mud when needed... and I want quiet tires with a long life span.

I am OK with the BFG's, have also looked at the Terra Graperlers, and the pro comps.

My H2 is as close to stock as I have been able to keep it. So I have no lift or anything, all factory parts... this year I want to re work the suspension and this is part of step one.

Thoughts and advice are welcome, and I have no problems new or used as long as we are talking almost new. I have seen lots of the moto metal and Rock Star wheel and tire packages, but in my exp. you usually get some cheaper tires depending on price, and I dont mind keep the wheels I have...

thnx
looking to buy with tax money so 30 days or less....

Last edited by myrddin : 02-11-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

410225 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking to replace tires soon

Unless you are serious about off roading, pimping out to larger chrome wheels, BFG is in my opinion the best All Terrain tires for H2. Drawback for the BFG AT is that when it wears down to less than half the tread, looses grip on snow traction significantly.

My tires are about 60% right now and when it is time to change, I will still stick with BFG AT 315 70-17's again.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

Just my opinion- our going about it wrong... Get your suspension done first- if your considering any type of lift.

I bought new rims and 37" tires first as seeing its pretty much a 50/50 chance of them fitting on factory suspension. Struck out. Truck wasn't even drivable on the street. Tried all the BS short of an actual lift and it still didn't fly. Fortunately I had the extra cash at that time reserved for my Trans Am twin turbo project to buy a 6" fabtech lift and get it installed.

Tires- I did love the factory BFG's, but in the year I had them they did wear considerabley. I ended up going w/ Toyo Open Country MT's. They have worn less in the 2+ years they've been on the truck than the BFG's did in a year. Rain, Snow, Ice...the only better tire i've ever experienced was a set of blizzacks. I really give those toyos a big thumbs up for all weather conditions! With all the snow & ice this year, I've even had people riding w/ me make commemnts on how much traction and stopping power the tires have. Damn nice looking to. No audible difference between the two.

I think what contributed to my 37's not fitting is toyo using a more accurate size measurement. I've seen a handful of other manufacturers 38" tires (no way in hell they are true 38's) on trucks that are the same size as my 37's.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-mt

Everyone and their brothers have rockstar wheels now...I'm personally sick of seeing them. But on the other hand, I catch **** on the forums all the time for my 24" rims which I think fill out the wheel wells and look good w the Toyos. So each, their own..
Old 02-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Hummer Expert

I'm powdercoating everything chrome this spring...I'm sick of it.

Size comparison to stock-

Old 02-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

myrddin is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, nice looking truck you have their MUD... So you think the Open Country is a longer lasting tire than the BFG and provide same or better performance... with same noise on the road? Hmmm if that is true sounds like a good idea... I would need to buy 5 though so the spare matches.... Need to see what that would set me back. I would like to do the lift... in fact I would have no trouble doing it myself (minus alignment) but I do not have the cash for the kit, unless I fell into a kit that was about the same cost as the tires... My problem is my tires are like at 25% tread or less, and I have a nail in one that leaked air all the time 9I know get it plugged).... So I am guessing I should stay the course and get the tires.

Hmmm BFG or Open Country... 37 (no lift) or 35...

After seeing your pic it makes me want to add some bling but I think the white looks good with black

Thanks agn
Old 02-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Hummer Expert

I bought my toyo's from Belle Tire. They actually beat the best pricing I could find on the net. They were also the only ones that could mount a 24" rim w/ in an hours drive. $700/each x 5, $2800 in rubber... OUCH!

A good tire shop should be able to confirm my size suspision... I think the toyo 35" is going to be bigger than most other brands including BFG's. I'd say probably looking at $275-$325 a tire. I'd go w/ the stock size for now, you'd be able to sell them pretty easily when you get around to putting on a lift.

There are 3 or 4 other big hummer forum sites...do a search on them. Keyword toyo should be enough to pull up some good comparison and review threads. I read through threads on tires for 2 weeks before I came to my decision and was extremely happy.

I'm a little nervous now after looking at toyos site...I do not see them listed in 24" wheel size anymore...

Last bit of advice- Most tire stores try to sell you road hazzard/warranty on tires. They can sell this to anyone, but what you bought may not even be covered in anyway! If a tire is over $400, most likely its completely exempt from any coverage. There's only a handfull of insurance companies that local tire shops sell for commission. Everyone is almost exactly dead on, no difference. But make sure to read the terms & conditions before you buy it, dont take the word of the guy selling it to you.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 AM
Hummer Professional

Scarsman is on a distinguished road

If you are not going to be doing any off roading, but want to go with the Toyo MT, I would really recomend having them siped. It will greatly improve traction on snow/ice/wet roads, and also help the life. If you off road, then siping is not good, as they will chunk out on rocks.

You might also consider the Toyo AT. They look good but are not as aggresive as the MTs.
Wheels - Black bedliner on stock wheels
Gas cap lid - still chrome but will soon be black bedliner
Tail light guards - still chrome but will be black bedliner
Grill - Still chrome but will be black bedliner
Hmmmm, is there a pattern developing here?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Hummer Expert

The TOYO MT's are factory sipped already.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarsman
If you are not going to be doing any off roading, but want to go with the Toyo MT, I would really recomend having them siped. It will greatly improve traction on snow/ice/wet roads, and also help the life. If you off road, then siping is not good, as they will chunk out on rocks.

You might also consider the Toyo AT. They look good but are not as aggresive as the MTs.

Siping will NOT chunk if done properly. Tires should only be siped on the contact patch and NOT out to the edges of the tire. I've offroaded plenty with siped tires and have never experienced any chunking. My 37" Iroks that are siped haven't chunked. I had a set of siped Toyo MT's that never chunked. And the 2 sets of siped BFG ATs have never chunked.

As for the original subject - IMO, the BFG ATs are the best tire. Great dry & wet handling, AMAZING grip on snow & ice, no noise, very good wear and really tough. Very easy to balance.
For offroading go with 37" Iroks. Unbelievable traction and durability. A bit noisy on pavement as they wear down a bit. They look great too. A pain in the ass to balance. Might as well glue bricks inside the wheels. There is a new non-directional Irok available now.
The Toyo MTs were a really good tire. Great driving on pavement, but sucked in snow until they were siped. Decent to balance.
I went through 1 1/2 sets of Goodyear MTRs. Great tire, good on pavement, amazing offroad, good on wet pavement, snow & ice. Decent to balance. Not sure if I'd put the new MTRs with Kevlar on my truck.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Hummer Expert

The TOYO MT's are factory sipped already.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Looking to replace tires soon

Apparently Toyo MTs come factory siped...
Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

cecil-1 is on a distinguished road

I've heard that some where.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Hummer Expert

hehe, must of been a server gimp. Extra posts deleted.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Hummer Expert

pdxrealtor is on a distinguished road

I asked the same questions when I got my wheels/tires and got an overwhelming response to go with the TOYO MTs, which I did. I'm happy with them but I can't say I have a lot of past to compare with.

I'll tell you one thing- I have a thing about road noise and after 10k miles I don't notice any extra. I need to go get them rotated.

I know one thing- where i live I see A LOT of Toyo MTs on all different trucks/jeeps/etc....

Good luck with your choice!

2006 HUMMER H2
MOOG Front End
Diablo InTune w/DiabLew Tune
Cognito Steering Support
OBX LT Headers
Air Raid Filter w/Tube
External Trans Cooler -Radiator Bypass
Corvette Servo
Rancho 9000 Adjustable Shocks-
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
20" Chrome Fuel Hostage - Cooper ST Maxx
Slotted Rotors/Ceramic pads/Steel Lines
Viper Smart Start
iPod/Video Interface
HID Head and Fog Lights
Optima Red Top w/ Priority Start Cut Off Mod
Old 03-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

Indy is on a distinguished road

I ran Cooper STT's MT tires on my lifted Jeep and just ordered a set of 37s for my H2. Best tire I ever had....great on road (snow and rain) and offroad. They look very similar to the Toyo MT's, but I believe they are a bit softer and lighter (the Toyos are heavy!). They also have factory sipping (one groove for each tread) and mine balanced real easy with no vibrations on the highway. And the price is really good. Hope this helps. Cheers, Indy.

Corvette C5 / Millennium Yellow / 6M - 5.7 V8 - sold
Corvette C5 / Nassau Blue / 6M - 5.7 V8 - sold
J E E P ZJ / 7" lift / 35" Cooper STT - sold
J E E P TJ / 7" lift /chillipepper red / 37" MTR - sold
Mustang GT / black / 5M - 4.6 V8 - sold
Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been very happy with the OEM BFG tires and their performance in mud and snow. Mine have 58,000 miles on them and I'm just getting ready to replace them with a new set of BFGs. 60k for a set of tires on any vehicle is pretty impressive!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

rmutchler is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jim...I too have had great luck with the BFGs. I have a set of 4 brand new in the garage ready for install and I paid $425 total by just picking up one at a time as people sell their spares on Craigs List in my area...two of them came with the wheel as well!