H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Hummer Novice

Brazi is on a distinguished road
Default PCM Problem Overseas ? CASE Relearn

I have been struggling with the PCM in my Hummer H3. The car is stalling and the scanner shows 2 codes:

P0601 - Control Module ROM
EBCM Malfunction – C0240 - ABS Traction Control

We have discussed in another thread and concluded that the best solution is to substitute the PCM.

Here is the catch:

The car is overseas
No GM tech support available (talked to them 4 times)
No Hummer dealership

As far as we can tell getting and uninstalling / installing a new PCM is not that hard. However a CASE relearn has to be performed, according to pcmforless.com . A CASE relearn is only possible at a Hummer dealer. None available here in a few thousand miles.

I have a few questions:

Is there another option?
Is there a way that we can get an “original” 2006 Hummer H3 programmed PCM, with the original data that will work in any car of this model?
Is a CASE relearn really necessary?
Can the data in the faulty PCM be stored in used in a new PCM?
If the data is just reflashed in the faulty PCM, does it need a CASE relearn?
Will I have to bring a mechanic from the US with all the equipment needed to fix the car?
Does anybody know anyone at GM / Hummer that can help me? I will gladly pay for the services/consulting.

I would like to stick to the technical aspects and solution to this problem, here in this thread. If you are curios about how, where and why it all happened, please look at:
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=24417

Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Brazi

Last edited by Brazi : 02-08-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PCM Problem Overseas ? CASE Relearn

Just to pass on some info I read. Another member, Hunner, mentioned in another thread that he purchased an upgraded PCM outright form PCM for less, and keeps that so the dealer doesn't flash the upgraded one when he goes in for service (swaps in the stock one before taking it for service). I am not sure what that costs, but I would say its worth a try. I am not a tech by any means, but I would think if you take away the brain, and take away the power, then put in a new brain and add power, well as they say...Its alive! I dont know what a CASE relearn does exactly or if it would be needed even, but maybe we can get F5 input here. Sorry for the troubles brother! Good luck!

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40

Last edited by stagger_lee : 02-08-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road

The case relearn is a crankshaft position variation relearn. If you don't do it, you may get a check engine light because the pcm is reading false misfires because it hasn't been learned to the crankshaft position variation. Any time you mess with the pcm, crank position sensor, crank, this should be done. Sometimes you can get lucky and it won't set a check engine light, but most times you have to do the relearn. If there is any GM dealers there with a tech2 they can do it for you.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsq99f4
The case relearn is a crankshaft position variation relearn. If you don't do it, you may get a check engine light because the pcm is reading false misfires because it hasn't been learned to the crankshaft position variation. Any time you mess with the pcm, crank position sensor, crank, this should be done. Sometimes you can get lucky and it won't set a check engine light, but most times you have to do the relearn. If there is any GM dealers there with a tech2 they can do it for you.

I believe the PCMForLess PCM disables the check engine light until the CASE relearn (I was checking the instructions yesterday, might have to buy one myself). It might be worth the $$ to just buy the new PCM outright to make the truck driveable. Then, you can ship the original PCM back to the states for repair. Of course, if it was something OUTSIDE the PCM that is causing the problems, you'll know pretty quick because the PCM will throw the same codes and you may have the same problems. Given that it probably cost serious $$ to import the H3, I say just buy the PCM and see what happens.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road

PCMforLess has 3 purchase options: (1) core exchange, (2) loaner, or (3) send in. ONLY option (1) requires the CASE relearn. With the core exchange option, you remove your PCM, install the new PCM, and send back your old PCM (if you want a small core refund). With the core exchange, the check engine light IS disabled, so it isn't an eye sore but it still needs to be done (about a 5 minute process with the Tech II scan tool). With option (2) and (3), no CASE relearn is needed -- unless they cannot get the info off of your current PCM. I have and recommend the improvement (and it is easy to install).
Old 02-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsq99f4

SEE!!!!!

GOD I Love this guy!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:44 AM
keliente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazi

Is there a way that we can get an ?original? 2006 Hummer H3 programmed PCM, with the original data that will work in any car of this model?

One PCM is not going to work for every H3, but I can program a PCM specific to the vehicle that does work.

Quote:
Is a CASE relearn really necessary?

Absolutely.

Quote:
Can the data in the faulty PCM be stored in used in a new PCM?

Not quite sure what you are asking here...if you had a new PCM ordered for you, it would have the latest flash from GM, so you would not need the old info from the other PCM.

Quote:
If the data is just reflashed in the faulty PCM, does it need a CASE relearn?

If you are using a tuning program like HPTuners, then no. If you are rewriting the PCM with TIS, then yes. But here's the problem. HPtuners is not going to start from scratch with a fresh GM cal - it is merely software to tweak performance options. Thus, I doubt using HPtuners alone will solve the issue. I feel like you need a reflash, or a new PCM altogether, if this problem is actually PCM related and not another control module gone sour.

Quote:
Will I have to bring a mechanic from the US with all the equipment needed to fix the car?

Kind of sounding that way. Unless you can send the car to them.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Hummer Novice

Let me star by thanking for the great responses.

This is what I am thinking about doing. Following Evldave?s advice:

Contact pcmforless and purchase a new PCM with a disabled Engine Failure warning
Send pcmforless my old PCM and have it reflashed and sent back

Yes, I will have 2(two) PCMs. It doesn?t matter. The original one is may be faulty.

I get the impression from evldave?s and pdsq99f4?s post that the only problem is the check engine light. Is that true?
The question I have is: How bad is it for the engine to drive around without a CASE relearn. How long can I do that? Is there a chance of the car not working?
It seems that keliente does not agree with that.

I think I will have to do that until I find a Tech2 to do the CASE relearn.

Does it make sense?

Thnx again.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Well it sounded to me like the code that would be thrown would be one of multiple miss fire if the CASE relearn isn't done. That seems to me that would be grounds for sending the car into "limp mode", making it run as bad as has been already. Just my .02!

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40

Last edited by stagger_lee : 02-09-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
I get the impression from evldave?s and pdsq99f4?s post that the only problem is the check engine light. Is that true?
The question I have is: How bad is it for the engine to drive around without a CASE relearn. How long can I do that? Is there a chance of the car not working?

I actually said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Of course, if it was something OUTSIDE the PCM that is causing the problems, you'll know pretty quick because the PCM will throw the same codes and you may have the same problems.

That is a serious risk - if the problems are outside the PCM, you will end up with two 'dead' PCMs and in no better situation than you are now. Of course, if PCMForLess can flip you a loaner while they reflash yours, and that works, you might be in good shape w/out spending a lot of money - contact them directly and see.

Getting a 2nd PCM is your cheapest option. Your 2nd cheapest option might be to get a PCM from PCMForLess and a Tech II to do the CASE relearn, which wouldn't be a bad idea to have because then you could let all those other hummer owners down there know and make all your money back by diagnosing their problems. Other more knowledgeable people can help you in finding one of those, I have no idea.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why I said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
I suppose they can check for codes and tell you what may be wrong. If it is a computer issue, PCM BCM or EBCM, they can flash and reset then ship them back?

I have a gut feeling it is not just the PCM....
Old 02-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road

In my case when upgrading the PCM, I drove it for awhile before finding someone here in Germany to do the CASE relearn for me. I did double check with PCMforLess before I had done it. The vehicle run smooth as silk after about the first 100 miles, but they told me this too. So after the 100 miles, you didn't even know it required the CASE relearn. If they cannot get the CASE information off your current PCM, you might need a CASE relearn on it as well. (Remember if they had the info to begin with, you wouldn't have needed the relearn in the first place.)

I wish you success in your problem(s) sorted out. I feel your pain.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Hummer Novice

Default PCM Problem Overseas ? Car is Working Fine

So ...

My car is running fine. We found a company in Sao Paulo ? about 200 miles away ? that had all the gear, hardware and software, to reflash the PCM. They are the only ones in Brazil and that was all that it needed. It took them about 20 minutes to get the issue solved. Can you believe that?

The company that had installed the tracker in the car paid for everything. Apparently they were to blame.

Thanks for all the help many of you have offered. I appreciate it!!!

Brazi
Old 03-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road

Glad it worked out for you. You did have to replace the PCM right? It wasn't just a reprogram that fixed the origional problem, correct?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Hummer Novice

I am very happy also !

No,as a matter of fact I bought a new PCM but it was not needed.
At the end it was simple. I talked to the engineer and he said that "apparently" part of the program running on the PCM was erased.
He could not understand how the car would even star and run for a while. I had it back for 2-3 weeks now and it is running great.

Brazi
Old 03-15-2007, 12:53 AM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

I'm glad this worked out for you! And if you do end up with PCM problems, you have an extra!