H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-05-2004, 04:37 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

I was discussing adding a supercharger to my H2 with Jan D from Realwheels. He brought up a conversion with the people from Balanger Headers (Not sure I spelled correctly). They told him of a test between an H2 with a supercharger and onw with the Balanger Headers(sp). They ran duplicate Numbers in the quarter mile. This is all the info I have.. Anybody else have more.
We also discussed exhausts, as they are now selling Corsa.. Realwheel tested Gibson, Borla, Corsa and a couple others on their Yellow H2 for the SEMA show. They found that the Corsa had the best performance and sound of all tested.

Mike
Old 01-05-2004, 04:37 PM

I was discussing adding a supercharger to my H2 with Jan D from Realwheels. He brought up a conversion with the people from Balanger Headers (Not sure I spelled correctly). They told him of a test between an H2 with a supercharger and onw with the Balanger Headers(sp). They ran duplicate Numbers in the quarter mile. This is all the info I have.. Anybody else have more.
We also discussed exhausts, as they are now selling Corsa.. Realwheel tested Gibson, Borla, Corsa and a couple others on their Yellow H2 for the SEMA show. They found that the Corsa had the best performance and sound of all tested.

Mike
Old 01-05-2004, 06:48 PM

Patriot is off the scale

I find it hard to believe that "headers" can add the same HP as a supercharger. If that's the case...he could charge $1500.00 for them and would have lines around the block because it would be half the price of the supercharger.

I think you were fed a line of bull...
Old 01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

I find it hard to believe too. Did he say what kind of SC it was?

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:02 PM

Yep.. me too.. I'm just going by what I was told by the gentleman at Realwheels.. I'm not mechanically inclined.. I will email him when I get a chance, perhaps he can send me some detailed info..

Mike
Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM

Bill

Have you had any difficulties with your H2 since it was SC. I have a Vortech on my 99 Sub and have a few issues.. I have been toying with idea of adding one to my H2. Was looking at Lingenfelter due to their rep and they are only 1.5 hrs away.

Thanks
Mike<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Bill:
I find it hard to believe too. Did he say what kind of SC it was?

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

http://www.4swimwear.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-05-2004, 07:51 PM
HummMe

It is possible to run the same times, but only from driver error. If this statement is true the forced induction H2 must have been driven like crap. Probably a bad launch, spinning tires, possible bad computer program.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:07 PM
Hummer Professional

Hey Mike,
It runs like a dream. I hate to repeat info but mine was one of the first to have the Whipple installed and I had to have custom tuning done. Now you can get the Whipple programmer to eliminate the torque management, etc. and you shouldn't have any problems. The increase in power makes a huge improvement in the performance both on and off road. It's now a pleasure to drive on long trips esp. in the mountains.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:13 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill, I do not think it matters what kind of SC it was. I have been racing for too many years and have seen too many false claims to believe garbage like that.

Mike, you know my response. Like Bill, mine was one of the first done by LPE (#4, I believe). They stand by their products...still. Just talked to Tim Dyer today and will be speaking with him again tommorrow about some adjustments they need to come here and fix. Just need to set up the time.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 01-06-2004, 11:02 AM

Ken P.

You mentioned a couple of times that they have to come out and make some adjutments. What kind of adjustments are needed.. I really am wanting to keep the reliablity of stock , yet still have the power from a SC.. However I do no like to mess with stuff. Just put on an drive, not wanting to have to tinker with it all the time.. Is having to tinker with the SC a common problem " Just the nature of the Beast?".

Thanks

Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 12:29 PM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

I also find it hard to believe that headers can run as strong as a super charger, however, to my amazement when we were fine tuning our race engine on the dyno we saw a 100hp difference between the longer "shop" headers and the shorter modular custom headers built for the engine and rig. When we lengthened the center section of the custom headers by 6" we gained back most of the horsepower. The shop headers were perfect flow pipes, not like the custom ones built to go around steering shafts and chassis rails. The point here is that don't underestimate the difference a good freeflowing header can make.

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Hummer Messiah

Mike, all they have to do is reprogram the computer. The truck computer thinks the accelerator is at a position something less than WOT when I mash it. Which is funny because all four tires spin. That's it. No other problems.

With all the problems LPE had the fix has been delayed, that is why it has been mentioned too many times. I should find out today when Graham is coming down here. However, if I get tired of waiting I may head up there. If I do I will let you know.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 01-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Hummer Messiah

Bad Dawg, I think the point here, as I am sure you know, is headers alone will not make comparable HP increases. However, if you have a heavily modified vehicle and test it, then add headers, where you previously had none, you will surely see significant gains. The engine can now expell the gases more effeciently.

Take, for example, a Nextel Cup car and put standard exhaust manifolds on it and run the car. Then add the headers. Huge difference I would suspect. Probably a huge percentage gain.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 01-06-2004, 12:49 PM

Ken

Thanks for info, after experience with my 99 Sub I am just a little hesitant to add to H2.

Would like to drive one to see the difference.

Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 12:50 PM

KenP-
You're right. Not knowing the other modifications to the rig Centerfire was talking about it's hard to know what was really going on. I would guess that if the only mods were bolting on the supercharger and bolting on a set of headers I would think that the supercharger would blow the doors off the header rig. My comment was just to point out the only change made to my engine on the dyno was the header change and it REALLY surprised me (and depressed me because of the $2500 I spent on the custom headers).

You can never have enough horsepower! Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:52 PM

AZhummer is off the scale

Centerfire, I went to the Balenger factory here in Phoenix and spoke with the owner. He was telling me the same thing. I did not let on that I was a motorhead. He said the same thing that you heard. I said what was your criterium for your claims, he said ET. I said that there was a 4 wheel dyno in town and if he had the teat h2 on that. He said dyno, smyno, I use ET at the track. Is that the strangest thing you have ever heard. How could he possible launch the same way every time??? Wind track temp steering all play factors in et. He said this with a straight face. HA this guy sells the headers to Lund Cadilac for 1575 each and Lund chargers 2700 installed. People here in AZ are buying them like sheep. I have long tube headers on my H2 along with an volant intake and bassini exhaust, reflash with the diablo pretator. My h2 runs great but I know a super charger would do better in every speed range.
The boys at balenger live in a dream world. BTW my ceramic long tubes are from AZ Speed & Marine. 625 good guy price, installed by me. So what do you think? I think these after market people think we are morons but, I must say the poser's line up at the dealers for all this crap. Wow I am being harsh, sorry guys, but I hate when people try to fool the average man.

03 H2
Old 01-06-2004, 01:21 PM

AZHUMMER,
I'm close to taking the plunge into a programer. I noticed you have the diablo predator and it sounds like you know your engines, so, I already have a few mods (intake, headers and exhaust) and have been looking at the Superchips programer as well as the Diablo. Will the addition of a programer make a noticable difference (mine downshifts at the slightest upgrade)? I realize the larger tires affect this and the programers can take that into account, but I would like to gain another 30hp like the ads claim. Any thoughts on the Superchips compaired to Diablo? (Superchip says theirs work on all 6.0 engines and not just the H2's).

Old 01-06-2004, 02:13 PM

I'm not a motorhead, heck I don't even like to change oil.. I understand the very basics and that is it.. I was just passing on the info.. It sounded like the old Aluminum Siding salesman trying to sell me siding for my Brick house... The guys at Realwheel simply passed it on to me.. I emailed them for more enough. Looks like we already have the info.. Even with my limited knowledge I would like to see dyno tests. As well as dyno tests on the H2 with the different catback systems.. I've bought in to all the different aftemarket HP add ons.. Do not know if they actually help or if it is all in our minds...

I know my Sub goes alot faster with the SC.. I just wish I did not have the heavy spark knock.. I guess when it finally blows up I will just put in the 502 big block as I should have in the beginning .

Mike
Old 01-06-2004, 03:12 PM
Hummer Professional

KenP, the reason I asked what kind of S/C was that if it was a centrifigal it wouldn't launch anywhere near as well as a "roots" type and the HP doesn't build until the upper rpm range which, I don't believe, lends itself to working well with such a heavy vehicle. (How's that for a run on sentence!)
Old 01-06-2004, 04:12 PM

Ken

I've got an email into Lingenfelter asking if the options to the package are needed. If so why or why not.. Example.. Will the stock tranny handle the HP from the Supercharger .
Tranny on the SUb went at 85,000 miles.. Fortunately my wife's step brother has a tranny shop, Didn't save any $$ , I just know it was done right.

Mike

Mike