H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

GasGuzzler is off the scale
Default The aging H2

Feel free to add to this list. Despite the shortcomings, we still love this piece of sh#t!

1. Radiator: The transmission cooler is connected to the radiator. The connections will fail after .... 30, 40, 50K+ miles. Upgrade your tranny cooler to an aftermarket unit.

2. Transmission: If these connections fail (from #1), they will allow radiator fluid leak into the transmission and vice-versa and will cause the radiator and transmission fluids to mix. You will see a stawberry milkshake like fluid in the radiator reservior. This will cause your transmission's 2-4 band to wear out and eventually the entire transmission will fail. When it happens, your tranny and radiator and reservior have to be replaced which will run about $7000.00 at a Hummer Dealership.

3. Idler and Pitman arms will fail after about 20, 30, or 40K+ miles. these arms are NOT designed for 35+ inch tires. They are designed for stock Suburban wheels/tires. If you have a newer H2, you will need to get the $214 Cognito kit to prevent early failure. If your warranty is out, buy the Idler and Pitman from ebaY or any PepBoys or AutoZone or Kragen and the Cognito kit. This will prevent abnormal tire wear in the long run. My dealership wants about $750 to 800 to replace just the arms.

4. I have heard of H2's front wheels falling off the truck while running.

5. H2's head lights suck. HID kits are available on ebaY for about $180 with hi/lo beams.

6. I have heard of the speedometer cluster fails after 20, 30K miles.

7. ?
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Hummer Authority

NewHummerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The aging H2

hi Guzzler.

Not sure about items 1 or 2. But 3-6 I think may not be entirely true. I have an 03 with 40k miles and none of your items have happened to mine. Maybe I am just lucky.

Also, just curious. Do you really own a Hummer? And if so did someone put a gun to your head to buy it??? Seems all your post are in some way either a backhanded compliment of the Hummer or an outright claim that it is garbage.

Just wondering.

I'm Gonna crazy you my body
=================
Old 03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hey NewGuy

Yeah, I have a yellow H2. It runs on a few D size batteries and controlled by a remote. It's pretty cool. I can race it around my backyard so my Golden Retriever can chase it.

You have an 03. Don't hold your breath. Your brand new transmission and radiator are waiting for you at the dealership. We picked up our 2003 H2 in November of 2002 in Los Gatos, CA. So far, I have 1 and 2 fixed last year and 3 a month ago. Our odometer reads 60,XXX.

Since we have received many free advise from this forum, maybe by help compiling this list, it's my way of giving back.

Yes, it is a love-hate relationship with the H2.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Feel free to add to this list. Despite the shortcomings, we still love this piece of sh#t!

1. Radiator: The transmission cooler is connected to the radiator. The connections will fail after .... 30, 40, 50K+ miles. Upgrade your tranny cooler to an aftermarket unit.

2. Transmission: If these connections fail (from #1), they will allow radiator fluid leak into the transmission and vice-versa and will cause the radiator and transmission fluids to mix. You will see a stawberry milkshake like fluid in the radiator reservior. This will cause your transmission's 2-4 band to wear out and eventually the entire transmission will fail. When it happens, your tranny and radiator and reservior have to be replaced which will run about $7000.00 at a Hummer Dealership.

3. Idler and Pitman arms will fail after about 20, 30, or 40K+ miles. these arms are NOT designed for 35+ inch tires. They are designed for stock Suburban wheels/tires. If you have a newer H2, you will need to get the $214 Cognito kit to prevent early failure. If your warranty is out, buy the Idler and Pitman from ebaY or any PepBoys or AutoZone or Kragen and the Cognito kit. This will prevent abnormal tire wear in the long run. My dealership wants about $750 to 800 to replace just the arms.

5. H2's head lights suck. HID kits are available on ebaY for about $180 with hi/lo beams.

7. ?

Sorry about your POS, I've had mine since 9/02 and only had problem with #6. I do agree with #5 as well but that's it.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Hummer Authority

NewHummerGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hey NewGuy

Yeah, I have a yellow H2. It runs on a few D size batteries and controlled by a remote. It's pretty cool. I can race it around my backyard so my Golden Retriever can chase it.

You have an 03. Don't hold your breath. Your brand new transmission and radiator are waiting for you at the dealership. We picked up our 2003 H2 in November of 2002 in Los Gatos, CA. So far, I have 1 and 2 fixed last year and 3 a month ago. Our odometer reads 60,XXX.

Since we have received many free advise from this forum, maybe by help compiling this list, it's my way of giving back.

Yes, it is a love-hate relationship with the H2.

Well, the nice thing about mine is its certified to 100k miles or Oct 2009. I am at 41k now so I think I can breathe freely for a while.

Possibly you got, for lack of a better term, a lemon. I have seen lots of issues with hummers on this site but yours seems to be the "extreme".

Good luck with the truck. Hopefully you wont have anymore issues.

I'm Gonna crazy you my body
=================
Old 03-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Hummer Professional

lonePalm is on a distinguished road

Guzzler it sucks to be you man, no offense! I have an 04' only had an issue with the mirrors but fixed them with a good cleaning and a grease fitting.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHummerGuy
Well, the nice thing about mine is its certified to 100k miles or Oct 2009. I am at 41k now so I think I can breathe freely for a while.

Possibly you got, for lack of a better term, a lemon. I have seen lots of issues with hummers on this site but yours seems to be the "extreme".

Good luck with the truck. Hopefully you wont have anymore issues.

You are welcome, NewGuy. I am glad this forum is NOT just read by you. Otherwise I would be wasting my time. I hope this list is becomes useful for other H2 owners.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonePalm
Guzzler it sucks to be you man, no offense! I have an 04' only had an issue with the mirrors but fixed them with a good cleaning and a grease fitting.

None taken. Oh, BTW, did you buy the 100K warranty when you had the chance - like NewGuy? I hope you did. Your new tranny, tranny cooler and radiator are all waiting for you at your friendly dealership now that you are off the 36K factory warranty

Good luck.

Last edited by GasGuzzler : 03-14-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

7. ?

So far...Only #6. Being replaced right now!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Hummer Professional

lonePalm is on a distinguished road

It's only money, We make everyday
Old 03-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonePalm
It's only money, We make everyday

True. If both time and money aren't important to you, then spending the extra $4000 to $7000 on the tranny problem and a week of not having your H2 would be nothing.

However, if they are, then by simply installing an after market tranny cooler will save you both.

More on the tranny/cooler problem

http://www.*******club.com/tech/tranny_cooler_2.html

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23002
Old 03-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I've heard that the 03 had several problems with it.......but, mine is a 04, and nothing yet "Knock on Wood"

60,524 and still strong.......
Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

My local transmission shop fixed mine and put in heavier duty parts. The head mechanic said the stock parts are made only for an 03 Escalade-like SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_h2
Yeah, I've heard that the 03 had several problems with it.......but, mine is a 04, and nothing yet "Knock on Wood"

60,524 and still strong.......
Old 03-20-2007, 02:50 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

'03 with 80K some miles.... None of the above yet.

Did buy a 4 year extended warranty with 100K add'l miles though.

In fact, even with 80K some miles, supercharger is still sitting on the floor in my office. Not having second thoughts about it.

Mark
Old 03-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
In fact, even with 80K some miles, supercharger is still sitting on the floor in my office. Not having second thoughts about it.
Mark
you have a super-charged office?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Guess you never owned a Land Rover. It is not perfect and i saw most of those problems in the service dept at one time or another. In the land of Lux SUV you have to have money, lots of it. they break. My brother in law has a new Aveo and has had more problems in the first year then your H2. I am so stupid i bought first year H3 and sure enough got the head problem at 15 k. I make little money but got out of the 06 and got a 07. I don't fell sorry for you I just question the tone of your emails. I can't figure if you want to dump it or want us to feel bad?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and go tell an H1 owner that kind of **** and he will laugh in your face.
AM general makes alot of money on half shafts and t-cases for H1 owners all day long.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Steve - SanJose

Smile Re: The aging H2

I'm glad I have an H3.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:10 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
I'm glad I have an H3.

So are we.