H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 AM
Hummer Veteran

Trinity is off the scale
Default Another NAV question

Traded the H3 and got a new H2 SUT (will post pics soon) with factory 6 disc CD with XM. Love the steering wheel controls and the fact that my kid can listen to another channel in the backseat with headphones.

I want to ditch the stock radio and get a NAV system that will allow me to listen to a CD at the same time as I navigate, and keep use of the steering wheel and rear seat audio controls.

So, which NAV system will allow everything that I mentioned above? And is it plug and play install, or a heck of a lot more complicated to install?

Much thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Another NAV question

Pioneer Avic-Z1. Other navi units will let you load up your route, then put in a cd. The Z1 has the navi software loaded on the hard drive, plus you can rip your cds to the Z1's hard drive so you don't even need cds.

There are modules that let you retain the steering wheel controls, onstar, chimes, everything. It can be close to plug and play with the data bus units, but it's still more complicated than a normal headunit.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 AM
Hummer Guru

dеiтайожни is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the H2, btw.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:01 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an H3 install, but except for the physical installation into the dash, the wiring is the same.
If you don't hook up a rear camera, it takes less time and you don't have to find the reverse wire.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...highlight=avic
Old 03-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 OHHH! is on a distinguished road

Go with the Avic Z-1. Had mine installed after market and all the steering controls work just like stock head unit. It also has 30 of memory and actually stores your cd music like an Ipod. I also got Sirius w/ it and an Ipod cradle that allows you to use the touchscreen of the nav system to operate it. Hooked up a rear view camera and an AV input for PS3. Also has a feed to the rear DVD players so I can control the rear screens from the front. Extremely happy w/ it
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Congrats!
Here's another thought, you can keep your stock radio and rear seat headphones. Pick up an Alpine Navigation unit and run it to a SAVV Rearview Mirror with a built in 5 inch screen. Personnally I have it and Love it. I did also change my headunit but had I known about the SAVV mirror prior to buying the Headunit, I would have kept my stock radio and just picked up a SAVV an Alpine Nav. I do have the Alpine Nav run to my Headunit but never use it. The SAVV has it's own speaker so you can still listen to your radio/cd and NAV at the same time as well as keeping your steering wheel controls. With the cash you save you can pick up the H-CAM and run that to the SAVV Mirror also. I find it priceless when parking and backing up to a trailer. If you do it, make sure you get the SAVV with 2 inputs. As soon as you put it in reverse the SAVV pops up with the H-CAM Picture!
Just another AVE.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

Uh...how about a Factory Touch Screen Nav Unit? You keep your XM and Stick a CD changer under the back seat....worked great for me until I swappped the Changer for my Ipod and it truly is Plug and Play just my .02 cents worth
Old 04-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Aficionado_VT is on a distinguished road

Way to go getting an H2!!
Old 04-21-2007, 03:05 AM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ H2
Congrats!
Here's another thought, you can keep your stock radio and rear seat headphones. Pick up an Alpine Navigation unit and run it to a SAVV Rearview Mirror with a built in 5 inch screen. Personnally I have it and Love it. I did also change my headunit but had I known about the SAVV mirror prior to buying the Headunit, I would have kept my stock radio and just picked up a SAVV an Alpine Nav. I do have the Alpine Nav run to my Headunit but never use it. The SAVV has it's own speaker so you can still listen to your radio/cd and NAV at the same time as well as keeping your steering wheel controls. With the cash you save you can pick up the H-CAM and run that to the SAVV Mirror also. I find it priceless when parking and backing up to a trailer. If you do it, make sure you get the SAVV with 2 inputs. As soon as you put it in reverse the SAVV pops up with the H-CAM Picture!
Just another AVE.

Once again NJ, you're mesmerizing me with your techno-omnipotence.

What's a headunit?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of NAV to get as well. I keep hearing the the AVIC Z2 (has already replaced the Z1 at the only local shop to carry either) is the way to go, but I'm open to cheaper ideas if they work as well. If the Alpine thing is nearly as functional as the AVIc, I'd consider it. Does it help one navigate as well? Is it as easy to use? Is it voice only? What type of memory does it operate off of? CD? DVD?Hard drive? Those computer tapes Cap'n Kirk used to use on the Enterprise? Are there any downsides to it?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Elcova Newbie

CzechT698 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity
Traded the H3 and got a new H2 SUT (will post pics soon) with factory 6 disc CD with XM. Love the steering wheel controls and the fact that my kid can listen to another channel in the backseat with headphones.

I want to ditch the stock radio and get a NAV system that will allow me to listen to a CD at the same time as I navigate, and keep use of the steering wheel and rear seat audio controls.

So, which NAV system will allow everything that I mentioned above? And is it plug and play install, or a heck of a lot more complicated to install?

Much thanks in advance.

Hey! I have a Kenwood DDX 8027 in my Touareg and I'm super-happy with it. you can do everything that you mentoned above. Plus, its Intelligent.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

LV_H2 is on a distinguished road

For those who have upgraded to a Pioneer AVIC unit. Do you have full, functional integration with ONSTAR, door chimes, RAP, etc. without any electrical problems, popping noises, etc.?

If so, which adapter harness has worked for you? There seems to be four different harnesses out there designed to work with the GM Class 2 data bus, retain ONSTAR, retain factory door chimes, and RAP. Peripheral: GMAH24, Metra GMOS-04, Schoshe DCGMOS2B11, and Nucleaus/American International NC-GM39B.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
2004 Victory Red LE H2 - Traded
Old 05-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_H2
For those who have upgraded to a Pioneer AVIC unit. Do you have full, functional integration with ONSTAR, door chimes, RAP, etc. without any electrical problems, popping noises, etc.?

If so, which adapter harness has worked for you? There seems to be four different harnesses out there designed to work with the GM Class 2 data bus, retain ONSTAR, retain factory door chimes, and RAP. Peripheral: GMAH24, Metra GMOS-04, Schoshe DCGMOS2B11, and Nucleaus/American International NC-GM39B.

I have the Z1 on my '06 H2 and all those things you mentioned work normal. When I had the unit installed (by CarToys) everything was hooked up except the XM which I didn't want. The reason I went with CarToys is they guarantee the unit AND the install for four years. Anything goes wrong they fix it or replace the entire unit. So far, no problems whatsoever. I don't know which adapters they used; they just kept putting different adapter harnesses on the counter that I was going to need to get everything to work. The one harness that I had wanted but didn't get (they were out of it) was the iPod connector.

If you're thinking about doing the install yourself, try calling CarToys and have them tell you what harnesses they use to make everything work.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks Bill,

I am happy to hear that people have aftermarket units installed in the H2 without any electrical problems. I had a bad experience with the "ultimate ipod adapter" (see other thread).

I found an installer who does the work for my local Hummer Dealer and is very familiar with the H2. He recommends the Peripheral adapter, and will be installing an AVIC-D3 for me tomorrow. I use ONSTAR, and I am mainly looking for the iPod interface, which seems to be a more direct connect on the D3 than on the Z2.

I am having mine done "thru the dealership" just in case there are any issues!

Thanks again for the feedback.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 06-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

GasGuzzler is off the scale

Hey Las Vegas

How did the AVIC-D3 installation go? I am doing the install myself. I am curious - where did your installer connect the speed sensor wire? There are 3 possible places that I know of - 1) In between the battery and the engine block 2) Green/white wire on the 24 pin plug goin to the instrument cluster and 3) On a plug going into the (some) stock radios.

I am curious how your installer did it.

Thanks,

GasGuzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_H2
Thanks Bill,

I am happy to hear that people have aftermarket units installed in the H2 without any electrical problems. I had a bad experience with the "ultimate ipod adapter" (see other thread).

I found an installer who does the work for my local Hummer Dealer and is very familiar with the H2. He recommends the Peripheral adapter, and will be installing an AVIC-D3 for me tomorrow. I use ONSTAR, and I am mainly looking for the iPod interface, which seems to be a more direct connect on the D3 than on the Z2.

I am having mine done "thru the dealership" just in case there are any issues!

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

I was busy last week and just got the unit installed today. I haven't had a chance to put it thru it's paces yet.

First impression, excellent ipod interface, some issues with location on NAV. I have been reading that the NAV system "learns" over time. Other issue is that you lose the ability to control Onstar volume.

Regarding VSS, my understanding is that it is only necessary for NAV when you loose GPS signals, and not needed for normal navigation. (AVIC411.com forum). I am not even sure if my installer hooked it up with VSS or not.

I'll give you an update in a few days.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Just got done with my installer re-doing the connection on the AVIC D3 in my 2007 H2.

The VSS was obtained from the Factory 10 Pin connector at the Radio.

The wire is Dark Green/White Stripe. My 2007 had TWO identical Dark Green/White Stripe at the "E" and "H" positions. According to my installer, the models previous to 2007 had one such wire at the "H" position which should be used for VSS. On the 2007, both are VSS, but the installer was recommended to use the "E" wire. We hooked up the Dark Green/White Strip "E" wire, and it works perfectly.

(The installer's assistant did the first install).

Good Luck.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded