H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

While searching for lights for my truck I came across these. I had not heard of them before yet they sounded pretty good, so I Googled. Here is a decent article about the Light Force lights.

I had never heard of an "adjustable beam" light for offroading. They work kinda like a Maglite flashlight. As you adjust them out it moves the reflector away from the bulb taking it from a pencil beam to more of a cornering beam. They are also available with a wide angle filter that clips on over the lens giving it a 180 degree light output. These lights have been used by Police and the Military for quite a while and have a reputation for being very tough yet they weigh only 16oz. each.

I ended up ordering a pair from Dick at Offroad Lights and had them two days later.
The install was easy (lika any other light) and the light output is amazing. The adjustment is wild taking them from a tight pencil beam to an almost "flood" in about 5 turns. With the light filter on it really lights up the sides too. I believe the light output is around 750,000 candle power with a 100 watt bulb (Xenophot).

The only thing Im not sure of is the size. They are big but the H2 is pretty big too so I am going to see if they grow on me. If not Dick said he would trade them for the 170s if I paid the shipping. Sounded fair so I went big .

Having had the K.Cs, Hellas and friends with the PIAAs I have to say these leave the others lacking. Just wanted to share what I think was a killer find, and yes some pictures .
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 02:35 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

While searching for lights for my truck I came across these. I had not heard of them before yet they sounded pretty good, so I Googled. Here is a decent article about the Light Force lights.

I had never heard of an "adjustable beam" light for offroading. They work kinda like a Maglite flashlight. As you adjust them out it moves the reflector away from the bulb taking it from a pencil beam to more of a cornering beam. They are also available with a wide angle filter that clips on over the lens giving it a 180 degree light output. These lights have been used by Police and the Military for quite a while and have a reputation for being very tough yet they weigh only 16oz. each.

I ended up ordering a pair from Dick at Offroad Lights and had them two days later.
The install was easy (lika any other light) and the light output is amazing. The adjustment is wild taking them from a tight pencil beam to an almost "flood" in about 5 turns. With the light filter on it really lights up the sides too. I believe the light output is around 750,000 candle power with a 100 watt bulb (Xenophot).

The only thing Im not sure of is the size. They are big but the H2 is pretty big too so I am going to see if they grow on me. If not Dick said he would trade them for the 170s if I paid the shipping. Sounded fair so I went big .

Having had the K.Cs, Hellas and friends with the PIAAs I have to say these leave the others lacking. Just wanted to share what I think was a killer find, and yes some pictures .
Old 03-03-2005, 02:37 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 02:53 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy crap. They are BIG.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:55 AM

Kevin B is off the scale

Yes they are, but they are BRIGHT !
Old 03-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Are you sure those are lights. They look like a couple of snare drums.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:14 AM

LasVegas is off the scale

Sorry N2. Them suckers need to be on the front of a Komatsu D575.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 03:15 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, where did your license plate go?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LasVegas:
Sorry N2. Them suckers need to be on the front of a Komatsu D575. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those lights are fantastic. I have a set on my '97 Tahoe and they are great lights.
They're adjustable like a Mag-Light and are tougher than any other light on the market. I seem to remember the specs saying they'll withstand a blast from a 12 gauge w/ buckshot at 25yds & a .22 at 125yds w/o breaking. I can personally tell you that I've seen rocks get thrown up by other vehicles and have heard them bounce off those lights without leaving a mark.
I'm going to buy a set of the new HIDs that they make and build a brushguard around them.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Hummer Messiah

Finally found a pic of the Tahoe.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Reminds me of...... never mind

'03 H2
Old 03-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Show a pic of the lights installed from a distance. I think they look big because of the close up. If you show the whole truck, it'll bring it into perspective.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:46 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Show a pic of the lights installed from a distance. I think they look big because of the close up. If you show the whole truck, it'll bring it into perspective. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll try that later today. Ever from a distance though they are HUGE no way around that. I think I am going to go with the 170s. Hopefully I can buy the different housing and keep the larger ones also, they take about 30 seconds a piece to change, and it will be nice to have a choice.

Diety, I mean DRTY is right about the fact they will take a shot and bounce off, these thing are bitchen! And at 16oz. each they dont seem to have the bouncing around problems I have noticed with other lights.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
Those lights are fantastic. I have a set on my '97 Tahoe and they are great lights.
They're adjustable like a Mag-Light and are tougher than any other light on the market. I seem to remember the specs saying they'll withstand a blast from a 12 gauge w/ buckshot at 25yds & a .22 at 125yds w/o breaking. I can personally tell you that I've seen rocks get thrown up by other vehicles and have heard them bounce off those lights without leaving a mark.
I'm going to buy a set of the new HIDs that they make and build a brushguard around them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I plan on looking at 2 or 4 (if I can mount 4) of the HID lights. You really can't beat'em. 1.5M candlepower each with each light only drawing 3 amps. Not to mention the lightforce guys put a crapload of thought into their lights.

My thoughts were to take 2 lights and have them set up normally with a pencil beam and then (a kit is provided to change the type of beam) on the other two have the beam changed to more of a flood system.

But Drty, come on. Buckshot at 25 yards? It can only withstand birdshot at 25 yards.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

N2IT, give another picture from more of a distance and maybe from off angle. I am thinking that something like the Warn light bar that attaches to the mounting points where your lights are now but provides a bar from one side of the other might be advantageous.

You could fab up a light bar like that and move the lights a little closer together towards the center. By the way, the PS light is crooked.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:39 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You could fab up a light bar like that and move the lights a little closer together towards the center. By the way, the PS light is crooked. Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No it's not........ not, not, not!

BTW I fabed those brackets in about 1/2 an hour so the hood would open. That is one down side to having a front tilt hood. Any light you mount in the front will need to have the hood issue addressed.

I do like the idea of a light bar. It would be easy to bolt one into the new brackets .
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 01:40 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

brackets 2
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 01:41 PM

Kevin B is off the scale

brackets 3
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Hummer Messiah

N2, how about a pic of the profile?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
But Drty, come on. Buckshot at 25 yards? It can only withstand birdshot at 25 yards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seriously. They used to have a picture of it on their site.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Banned

I didn't know there wasn't light brackets already on the single brush guard. I didn't realize you had to fab brackets just to get the lights on. I have the double-tier and it has a boxed bracket on it already (I had those high quality OEM hummer lights there to begin with).

On the hood issue, I had to fab brackets to shorten the throw of the hood because the Warn Light Bar and the Warn Winch Bumper is not compatible with each other (go figure). Anyway when you would open the hood the light bar would hit the top of the winch bumper. So, I fabbed a bracket that took the springs out of of the equation and it shortened the cables enough that the hood does not go completely to 90 degrees. Also, it is far enough open so that it doesn't close back on your head if a good gust came along.

Patriot came up with a whole better bracket than I did but here is the thread on what we did: http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/t...3768#607103768