H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Hi Phil,

May be a bot off-topic, just a quick question - besides the use of the SEO ACCY Fuse, which other fuse is SAFE to tap into by using the add-a-circuit to control another set of light relay? Thanks.

May be the AUX PWR 2 Fuse?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
...Just a question.
Why is everyone drilling through the firewall or going through that boot. i have found running wires for all ten PIAA lights and my dual CB antenna wires up the A pillar and through the marker light, than back down the inside of the A Pillar. It takes a couple of minutes to take off both plastic A pillar guards on the dr sd and you don't have to drill any holes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What about brush guard lights? Unless you use the electronic brake controller circuit, you need to go through the firewall.

Also, where are you getting power from for all those lights? 10 lights at 55w each = 46 amps, before you even start to look at heat loss etc. Is there somewhere under the dash with a 50 amp feed? Even with only half of them on, 23 amps min, a direct feed from the battery would be the best way of doing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I don't know how to speak electrical guru, but all of the lights (ones for rack and brush guard) are connected to batt. studs at the battery. All of the realys tuck up next to the battery also. Than Gobi made a harness that we ran tinto the cab for the switches. Not sure if i answered your question(s). Let me know if not, so I can ask Paul.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
...Just a question.
Why is everyone drilling through the firewall or going through that boot. i have found running wires for all ten PIAA lights and my dual CB antenna wires up the A pillar and through the marker light, than back down the inside of the A Pillar. It takes a couple of minutes to take off both plastic A pillar guards on the dr sd and you don't have to drill any holes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What about brush guard lights? Unless you use the electronic brake controller circuit, you need to go through the firewall.

Also, where are you getting power from for all those lights? 10 lights at 55w each = 46 amps, before you even start to look at heat loss etc. Is there somewhere under the dash with a 50 amp feed? Even with only half of them on, 23 amps min, a direct feed from the battery would be the best way of doing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I don't know how to speak electrical guru, but all of the lights (ones for rack and brush guard) are connected to batt. studs at the battery. All of the relays tuck up next to the battery also. Than Gobi made a harness that we ran into the cab for the switches. Not sure if i answered your question(s). Let me know if not, so I can ask Paul. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
BTW, the only wires in the cab are the wires to teh switches to turn the relays on.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, the only wires in the cab are the wires to teh switches to turn the relays on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are the wires everyone is talking about, they came from the relays if the installation was proper, and the relays are in the engine compartment, so it has to have a connection through the firewall, hence the struggle with the "boot" or a new opening.

Now, if the installation was done with a remote switch (receiver in the engine bay), then there's no need to go thru the firewall, but most of us use the traditional hard-wire method.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Hummer Expert

RasterMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you find that blue switch?
Old 05-20-2005, 05:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RasterMaster:
Where did you find that blue switch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AutoZone
Old 05-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Xenowulf is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sclui56:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW, the only wires in the cab are the wires to teh switches to turn the relays on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those are the wires everyone is talking about, they came from the relays if the installation was proper, and the relays are in the engine compartment, so it has to have a connection through the firewall, hence the struggle with the "boot" or a new opening.

Now, if the installation was done with a remote switch (receiver in the engine bay), then there's no need to go thru the firewall, but most of us use the traditional hard-wire method. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That’s exactly what we are tacking about. You only need to run one single wire (let’s say a 14 g, wire) from the switch in the cab to the relay, the other two are power and ground which can be pulled from the fuse box in the cab. Therefore how are you pulling or connecting the wire from the switch to the relay without cutting a hole in the firewall or f@!#ing with the rubber boot?
Old 05-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sclui56:
May be a bot off-topic, just a quick question - besides the use of the SEO ACCY Fuse, which other fuse is SAFE to tap into by using the add-a-circuit to control another set of light relay? Thanks.

May be the AUX PWR 2 Fuse? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'd have to take a look, I know when I checked it out before I stopped after I found the first fuse that was ignition switched and not used for anything else.

I'll have a look over the weekend for another unused source. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK Phil, thanks. I don't think I should tap off the same circuit for the second set of lights.

Steve
Old 05-20-2005, 05:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

OK Phil, thanks. I don't think I should tap off the same circuit for the second set of lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If all you are doing is tapping off for a relay you will be fine.

I have 5 relays controlling 10 lights, a direct feed for my CB and V1 all off the same fuse tap with a 10 amp fuse and never had a problem. Relays use next to no current. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,

At the risk of sounding dense, I only use the SEO to hook up the add-a-circuit, which in turn is hooked up to the relay for light set #1. What you indicated is that I can tap the relay for set #2 into this same add-a-circuit line without risking much, right?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 05-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Steve, yes, you can use the add-a-circuit to power a number of switches. All they are doing are activating relays, which uses very little current. As long as you don't change the fuse rating (10 amps) of the SEO ACCY circuit you will be fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Phil,

Thanks a lot for the confirm!

Steve
Old 06-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Phil is 100% correct...I have done the same...all myswitches/relays run off the SEO ACCY tap.

TIMGCO...how about a reply on the miracle power supply with the invisible wires?

Ric
Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hum2:
Phil is 100% correct...I have done the same...all myswitches/relays run off the SEO ACCY tap.

TIMGCO...how about a reply on the miracle power supply with the invisible wires?

Ric </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we can run all of the lights/ switches through a wireless router that can me run remotely through a GPS unit hoooked to the curcuit breaker at your home.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

SoonerBoarder is off the scale

Nice link to the Hummer X-club about Hi Beam wiring. If you use two relays, you can wire your aux lites to come on with either your inside switch or your high beam, so you cna turn them on without turning on the high beam if you wanted:

Old 06-22-2005, 04:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

SoonerBoarder is off the scale

I'm doing basically the same thing with the backup camera, so it comes on when you put it in reverse, but you can switch it on any other time, too.