H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

So, the Goodyear MTR is back ordered indefinitely so far as I can tell. I don't want the Swamper SSR or IROK because I do too much highway driving and I need to get more than 20,000 miles out of them. That leaves the BFG MT, which is a great tire but I've heard there are rubbing issues because it is slightly wider than the MTR.

Does anybody have these?
How bad do they rub?
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Hummer Professional

So, the Goodyear MTR is back ordered indefinitely so far as I can tell. I don't want the Swamper SSR or IROK because I do too much highway driving and I need to get more than 20,000 miles out of them. That leaves the BFG MT, which is a great tire but I've heard there are rubbing issues because it is slightly wider than the MTR.

Does anybody have these?
How bad do they rub?
Old 03-08-2004, 06:42 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Travis had those tires before his Rancho lift and said they rubbed a bit, but it wasn't bad.

The MT/R's I'm using right now rub pretty bad too, so I'm not sure why people say they don't.

The rubbing only happens on sharp turns, and is certainly negligable compared to it's gains.

I love the BFG Muds, but I'm concerned with the reports I've heard of sidewall damge while rock crawling. Which I do a lot more on rocks, than in Mud. But they do kick ass in mud, no doubt about that. Way better than MT/R's for sure!
Old 03-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Hummer Professional

Yeah, I've nosed around some other forums and heard about sidewall tears. The MTR is my first choice but I can't find them and no one seems to know when they will be available. I ran BFG MTs on my D90 for 2 years with no problems. They were fairly quiet and handled well except in wet weather. I could have the center section on some MTs siped to help on road manners, especially during rainy conditions.

I should have bought those 6 MTRs off eBay but I missed the end of the auction. They only went for $211 a tire. Maybe I can find another wealthy H1 benefactor looking for a charity case.??
Old 03-08-2004, 07:10 PM

cinci is off the scale

I have noticed the last time out that with the MT/Rs aired down to 18 I had some rubbing on the front sway bar but nothing that would out way the advantage that they provide.

I was looking for some one to go in with me on the that auction on ebay since I am only looking for one tire but didn't have any responses.

Longhorn, if I hear of any MT/Rs avialable, I will drop you a PM.

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 03-08-2004, 07:39 PM

urban-assault is off the scale

I'm actually looking for tires too now. Since I do a lot of highway driving, I'm looking into the Dick Cepek FCII tires (37/13.5/17). They have aggressive traction and they handle superbly on concrete. If I did more offroading, I would also consider the Xterrain.

So Longhorn, what about the DC FC II or the Xterrain?

Urban-Assault Vehicle H2
Old 03-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Hummer Professional

I looked into Xterrains a while back. They will rub terribly so I would assume the Cepek would as well. The height is not really an issue; width is. That's why the MT/Rs (slightly narrower) rub less than the BFG MTs.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:28 PM

czar is off the scale

would a 2 inch lift fix the rubbing problems of 37's??
Old 03-11-2004, 03:38 PM

AlamoJim is off the scale

well if they rub when turning due to width you can:
1. get new wheels with corrected backspacing.
2. get wheel spacers.

If they rub in the fenderwells when flexing due to tire height - lift it.

you can probably adjust your steering stops to stop it from rubbing which will limit your turning radius - not a bad 'short term' solution until you can get the right tires/wheels.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:07 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detonate:
The MT/R's I'm using right now rub pretty bad too, so I'm not sure why people say they don't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did putting on the heavy bumpers, brushguard, and rack bring your clearance down any? I have been meaning to ask and you just reminded me....
Old 03-11-2004, 04:08 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cincih2:
I have noticed the last time out that with the MT/Rs aired down to 18 I had some rubbing on the front sway bar but nothing that would out way the advantage that they provide. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The stock 35" BFG ATs rub the swaybar at 18psi....
Old 03-11-2004, 04:59 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrgMstr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detonate:
The MT/R's I'm using right now rub pretty bad too, so I'm not sure why people say they don't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did putting on the heavy bumpers, brushguard, and rack bring your clearance down any? I have been meaning to ask and you just reminded me.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I never really did a before and after comparision.

But before I put on the 37's, I measured the distance between Tire and Fender in the front and back, and it was 1.5" lower in the front.

I corrected that with 3 or 4 turns on my torsion bars.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:13 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Where exactly did you measure from to? I would like to measure and compare figures. As you know, I have been wanting some 37s but your experience has got me questioning the decision.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:22 PM

I just eye balled what looked like the highest point of the tire, and measure from there to the fender.

I wasn't exactly on level ground when I did it either.

Nothing scientific about it.

What paticular experience with my 37's has you questioning?

They are looking at my front end now, and said it's the Control Arm and the Idler arm that have to be replaced. I also have a transfer case leaked, and various other damage to the belly of my beast.

It's really hard to say if the 37's can be blamed for any of this. I drive my vehicle pretty damn hard.

Only time will tell. If it happens again in another month, I guess we'll know.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:23 PM

If anything, I think this makes a good case for NOT upgrading the Tie Rods.

The Tie Rods are in perfect shape, but other components failed.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:51 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Jim, I have seen how you drive your H2, and there is no doubt in my mind that your 37s are NOT the cause of any of your issues you are having now. I think, "I drive my vehicle pretty damn hard," is an understatement from you. I have seen you drive through the **** faster than I would on an ATV. Undoubtedly you are finding the limits of your truck, and more power to you. It is a great experience wheeling with you guys. Make sure to always give me a heads up when you go.

Back to the tires. I have heard a few folks mention a little rubbing, but certainly you have had the loudest complaint I have heard yet. I just want to make sure I am happy with 37s on my truck when/if they get installed. It seems to me that your experience with the 37s is a little different than others' and I am just trying to figure out why that is and the only reason I can think of is clearance.

From this last weekend out and your before and after comments, I can see what difference 37s make in a real off road situation.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrgMstr:
Jim, I have seen how you drive your H2, and there is no doubt in my mind that your 37s are NOT the cause of any of your issues you are having now. I think, "I drive my vehicle pretty damn hard," is an understatement from you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
hehehe
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have seen you drive through the **** faster than I would on an ATV. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey now! I wasn't the one that almost ran over the Jeepers changing the tire at the bottom of Jeepy Hollow!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Back to the tires. I have heard a few folks mention a little rubbing, but certainly you have had the loudest complaint I have heard yet. I just want to make sure I am happy with 37s on my truck when/if they get installed. It seems to me that your experience with the 37s is a little different than others' and I am just trying to figure out why that is and the only reason I can think of is clearance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I've heard that they rub anywhere from "a little" to "none at all". Personally I think the people that say they don't rub at all, are either blowing smoke up our asses, or they are talking about rubbing the fenders.

I haven't noticed any fender rub, just sway bar rub. But it's enough that if I turn my wheels completely and drive, I can feel and here them eating into the swap bar, and my sway bar is rubbed pretty raw. I think it's a very small sacrifice.

And if it seems like I'm complaining about the 37's, I'm not. They make a huge difference in my opinion, in favor of the off road handling.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:42 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

They are lucky they had that Jeep on a jack, otherwise I might not have seen it in time.

Thanks for clarifying exactly what is rubbing on your rig. I can live with the sway bar issues that I already have when aired down with 35s.

That said, keep us informed on how your suspension work goes. (I know it had nothing to do with hitting that 3.5 foot mud embankment multiple times with a running start. )
Old 03-11-2004, 06:49 PM

Nah, it didn't. I know exactly when it happened.

We camped Friday night, and Saturday morning it was about 9am, and nobody was supposed to be there until 10.

So I headed back to Jeep Eater to see what a difference the 37's would make. I got everything but my rear tires to the top.

Some Jeepers stopped to watch, and one suggested I try the line to the right.

I had my tires turned passanger and tried a few times to bump it up. The last time I really hit the thing hard and we heard a noise.

At that point the guys said they think my tie rod snapped. I went up and looked and both of my tires were pointing inward.

I crawled under the vehicle but couldn't find anything broken. I backed down the trail, but everything seemed to be ok, and nothing seemed to be broken.

Honestly I took it easy the rest of the weekend.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:52 PM

Watch this video, and pay special attension to my passanger front tire on the head on clip of me going up Twister. You can see it bend in multiple times.