H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Elcova Rookie

DaveH3nj is on a distinguished road
Default Wind noise on new H3

(I accidentally previously posted this in the H2 forum)
I just picked up my new '06 H3 and LOVE it EXCEPT there is a very annoying, loud wind vibration coming from over the driver's side visor at speeds over 50 mph. Before I take it in, has anyone experienced anything similar?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

Webster1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wind noise on new H3

Do you have the cab markr lights? They are haveing problems with wind noise and are on hold right now.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Elcova Rookie

DaveH3nj is on a distinguished road

Yep, have marker lights. What do you mean by "on hold?"
Old 07-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

CorvetteOJ is off the scale

Hey guys, allow me to share my story concerning the marker lights. I had a nightmare with mine. Three trips to the dealer (120 miles one way) to get the damn things fixed. The GM "fix kit" made it ten times worse. On the last effort we moved them back until they hit the XM antenna base, drilled 6 more holes, sealed the first six and mounted it again. I took it for a test drive and reached speeds of 99mph. By the way, that is when the limiter kicks in. There was absolutely no noise. All the way home, I tried it in all configurations, behind 18 wheelers, behind suvs, behind small cars and out in "clean air." No noise, and prior to relocating them, the noise was unbearable. They would actually slap the roof continually over 70mph. They even look better now. You could say I am a happy camper with my marker lights that make no noise!

OJ
http://hummertruckworld.tenmagazines...lery.ten?id=45
03 50th Anniversary Vette
Old 07-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Steve - SanJose

No marker lights on my H3. No wind noise, I drive 80-90mph frequently.

S.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Wind noise on new H3

DaveNJ, the original marker light kits put on the 06's caused a loud noise when going over 50mph...like wind or flapping sounds. Then, evidently a 'fix kit' came out to rectify the problem. My dealer parts person told me it was a NEW set, not a fix. <grrrrrr> Anyways, the newest 'fix kit' is on hold, so no one can get marker lights until the problem is found and solved. Were your marker lights already on the vehicle when you bought it .. or, did you have them put them on before you took delivery of it? Either way, you may have the problem ones since the new ones aren't out yet. Marker lights, air leak in windshield, or cracked roof rail (between rail and A Pillar). Good luck and post what you find out.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

fw888 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteOJ
Hey guys, allow me to share my story concerning the marker lights. I had a nightmare with mine. Three trips to the dealer (120 miles one way) to get the damn things fixed. The GM "fix kit" made it ten times worse. On the last effort we moved them back until they hit the XM antenna base, drilled 6 more holes, sealed the first six and mounted it again. I took it for a test drive and reached speeds of 99mph. By the way, that is when the limiter kicks in. There was absolutely no noise. All the way home, I tried it in all configurations, behind 18 wheelers, behind suvs, behind small cars and out in "clean air." No noise, and prior to relocating them, the noise was unbearable. They would actually slap the roof continually over 70mph. They even look better now. You could say I am a happy camper with my marker lights that make no noise!

OJ
can you post some pictures so we can see...
Old 08-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Hummer Novice

lexunet is on a distinguished road

I have wind vibration noise. I don't even have the roof marker lights! It is hard to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. I can find any volunteers to ride on the roof while I go 70MPH.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Hummer Guru

Wink Re: Wind noise on new H3

I don't have roof marker lights either, but I had the noise. I THINK it could be gone, although I haven't tested it yet at 65+ mph. My sound came from the driver side A pillar area .. sounds like crackling glass when you hit 65+ mph. The consenus here was that a cracked roof rail may cause that sound. I stepped up and looked at where the roof rail joins the A pillar molding, and sure enough, it had a crack in it. They replaced it. I've had some other ongoing issues with my 3, so I haven't been able to test it for that particular noise yet. Check out your roof rails for cracks. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Hummer Novice

lexunet is on a distinguished road

Checked the roof molding. Sure enough it has a crack in it. The dealer is ordering a new one for me. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Hummer Guru

Glad I could help! I JUST found last last night, while looking at my invoice, that my dealer replaced my left cracked roof rail with the same old part number. F5stop on the forum had posted the newer replacement part number. Call your dealer to make sure they ordered the NEW roof rail replacement #15905532 (left side) or 15905533 (right side) for you. The OLD part numbers are #15286618 (left side) and 15286619 (right side). I went down to talk to my service mgr this morning today and told him. He is ordering the new one. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexunet
Checked the roof molding. Sure enough it has a crack in it. The dealer is ordering a new one for me. Thanks for the tip.

Make sure they get you both sides,also ask about the moldings up the windshield.They replaced 4 pieces on mine, I had a crack on both sides.
Now there's a tight fit.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto, consider yourself lucky, VERY lucky, that your Service Dept. will just replace parts for you "just because". I'm getting my left A pillar molding replaced because the coating is coming off .. but when I asked if I could get my right one replaced, too, I didn't really get an answer. When I requested that my right roof rail get replaced when my left one was, they said no, because it wasn't cracked. Now I'm trying to get my left roof rail replaced again because they replaced the cracked one with the same part #. No way would they replace all 4 of my moldings just because I wanted them replaced. Maybe you have just the right touch with those guys.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:32 AM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone search before posting anymore?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Well, I THOUGHT the 'shattering' sound was gone after the dealer re-placed/re-glued both A-pillar mouldings again... but the sound is back. It had been making the shattering sound between 58-64 mph... but that stopped. Now if I go 65 mph, the sound is back. I took a drive out to the desert over the weekend and heard it all over again. I'm going to give up on it and just turn up the XM. It's not worth the hassle anymore.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

ictH3 is on a distinguished road

Well... Here is the Wind Noise fix I got from GM for the Off-Road/Marker lights. It did fix the noise but... oh yuck! The dealer that installed it is calling Hummer tomorrow to see what the heck is going on. The fix kit # they used is 19166037. The tech told me it just consisted of a couple of blocks in the middle to change the angle so it wouldn't make any noise, he also... on his own took it upon himself to put a rubber strip all along the front under the plastic .... and you can see how it makes the edges not flush with the pillar plastic. I can't beleive all this! But oh man look at the back! You can see the 2 blocks they put in there. I don't think I can except this fix at all!

Name:  Front Fix.jpg
Views: 3406
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  Wind Noise Fix.jpg
Views: 3326
Size:  89.9 KB

2006 H3 Superior Blue, Adventure + Lux Pkg, Automatic, Sunroof, GPS, Rocker Protection, Black Brush Guard, Roof-mounted off road lamps, Trailer package, Underbody Protection, ROLA Roof Rack, and now Toyo 35's!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

That sucks
Old 10-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think mine finally developed this problem. There is a gusting wind sound coming from the curved portion of the door and frame at the front upper left (higher speeds only or in cross winds). I believe it is a door seal or trim problem (perhaps both). How does one remove the external A-pillar trim plate (hood to roof) to check things out and apply 3M tape if necessary?

Thx,
C
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

subunix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
I think mine finally developed this problem. There is a gusting wind sound coming from the curved portion of the door and frame at the front upper left (higher speeds only or in cross winds). I believe it is a door seal or trim problem (perhaps both). How does one remove the external A-pillar trim plate (hood to roof) to check things out and apply 3M tape if necessary?

Thx,
C

pull back the door seal and take the screw out on the A-post cover