H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 AM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone stroked their Vortec lately?

Save the sexual references...unless they're really good sexual references...

I'm interested in getting feedback from anyone who has stroked either a Vortec 6.0 or 6.2...I'd like any info regarding:
  1. Performance gains...both perceived and measured
  2. Torque gains/losses...both perceived and measured
  3. MPG...gains/losses
  4. Feel...sound...other manly stuff...
  5. Also...how many miles (and what type of miles) have you put on your truck since the stroke.
  6. Problems...weaknesses...things to consider/look out for...etc.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Hummer Professional

Scarsman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has anyone stroked their Vortec lately?

Gee! Sorry. Just trying to throw out a bit of humor. I've seen way worse on here!

Anyway, I would have swore I had seen here someone who had built up their motor. I thought it had been stroked and had a cam and the like. I thought the poster was in Germany. I have been searching and I can not find it, but I remember a thread with video of him roaring through some woods and pasture roads. I know it was within the last year but darned if I can find it. I am still looking though.
Wheels - Black bedliner on stock wheels
Gas cap lid - still chrome but will soon be black bedliner
Tail light guards - still chrome but will be black bedliner
Grill - Still chrome but will be black bedliner
Hmmmm, is there a pattern developing here?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Hummer Novice

SqwkVFR is on a distinguished road

The 6.0 and 6.2 in the H2 isn't H2 specific. Anything you can do to a 'vette / camaro / silverado, can be done the the H2 motor. Check out ls1tech dot com. many many stroker options out there. GMPP has a few offerings as well. LSX454 would be awesome in a H2.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

tcalz06 is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised more people don't go the heads/ cam exhaust route. I haven't found anyone on here that has done this

These mods work great on a LS1 and are very reliable.
Unless you need a rebuild a properly built stroker would probably run 10k+
Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Hummer Professional

wingn69 is on a distinguished road

Check this guys post EuroHummer he has a 408 stroker, crazy fast for a Hummer.
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingn69
Check this guys post EuroHummer he has a 408 stroker, crazy fast for a Hummer.

That's sick...his truck sounds SOOOO sweet.

I hit him up...I'm curious what his gas mileage looks like compared to stock. He might have made 'the flip' (kilometers per liter to liters per kilometer...LOL). I'll give a little mileage for more power...but I'm not trying to dip into the single digits.

Thanks for tracking that post down.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Hummer Professional

Scarsman is on a distinguished road

That is the one I was refering to above. Glad someone found it! I just couldn't remember the right words to get it.
Wheels - Black bedliner on stock wheels
Gas cap lid - still chrome but will soon be black bedliner
Tail light guards - still chrome but will be black bedliner
Grill - Still chrome but will be black bedliner
Hmmmm, is there a pattern developing here?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Hummer Professional

I linked up with him here in Germany and I am telling you that Hummer rocks. He stopped by my office with it and I felt him before I saw him in the parking lot that motor was screaming let me race open me up. then he park next to my none lift truck with his 6 to 8 in lift kit, yeah that was not funny.
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Hummer Authority

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoiIMXdhig4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiqfVkxXVo0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez5Mxgzt6SE

Did he mention how much $$ he through at the motor? Or anything about MPG?

In his first video for a fair amount of his acceleration he stays around 16-17 L/100km...according the a L/100km to MPG converter I found on the Internet that's about 13.5 MPG. Took me a while to grasp that on his gauge (using L/100km) HIGHER numbers reflect WORSE mileage than lower numbers.

I'd like to know what his average L/100kms is under normal driving conditions, and not going balls out on the throttle. Mine averages around 12 MPG, but my truck definitely doesn't haul ass like his.

Last edited by guruerror : 08-27-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Hummer Professional

I will have to see if I can bring him up on the net again havent seen him in a few weeks busy man. I do know his Dad helped build the motor from there family shop in the states.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

EuroHummer is on a distinguished road

I am alive and well in Kabul, Afghanistan. My stroked 408 is sadly stored in Germany, awaiting a transmission, rear suspension, gear change (4.10 to 4.56) in preparation for a trip from England to Transylvania in September, 2011. I have a complete price list for the parts, as well as parts numbers. I have to search to find it. Here is a link to the article that got me going-http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ild/index.htmlhttp://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ild/index.htmlhttp://www.gmhightechperformance.com...get/index.html

1. Performance gains- I have not had it dyno tested.
2. Torque gains/losses. Same as above....
3. MPG...no major loss. Still getting 10-12 mpg with 37X12.5 tires, FABTECH lift, and the engine mods.
4. Feel...sound..Sounds awesome with the magnaflows and headers. Not to loud, but turns heads for sure. Feels good, and with the new lower gears, it will really be a neck snapper.
5. Also...how many miles (and what type of miles) have you put on your truck since the stroke. Not many miles yet. Drive it on the autobahn for a few thousand miles, and off road a few times. I drove it really hard off road (up to 6500 rpm) and tried to break something....the tranny has held out so far, but is going to be replaced by a built unit from CK trannys. I just dont trust it on my long trip next year.
6. Problems...weaknesses...things to consider-I went with the FAST LSXRT and glad I did. Its over a grand, but is highly rated for HP increases over the entire RPM range. It also allows up to a 102mm TB. I have the 90mm from an LS7 Vette. Did not want to kill any low end power with the monster 102. That is a drag racing item. I had a cam custom ground at Schneider Racing Cams in California. Call up Kevin Cantrell, tell him your goals and desires, and he will grind you a custom cam. I opted for a mild low end cam that would pass emissions. You can get as wild as you want. I cracked an aluminum rocker arm, and had to go to stainless steel rockers. I am wishing I had used the comp cams high rpm hydraulic lifters. I may change them out and use some trick ceramic pushrods (light as hell and less flex than chrome moly). The engine should be pretty much bulletproof with the forged crank, rods and pistons. I dont like anything that is cast if I can avoid it. Just one of my pet peeves. I love the engine, and if I get crazy, I can bolt on a pro charger and put out at least 800-850 HP, considering it should be around 500 now.

2003 H2, 408 CI, K1 Forged 4" stroke crank, K1 6.125" forged rods, Wiseco X-Series 0.30 forged pistons, Schneider cam, FAST 102mm LSXRT, precision flow injectors, Comp Pro Magnum rockers, SA Gear DR timing set, ARP main studs, 90mm ETC TB, Airaid MIT, MSD Coils/wires, Dynatech Headers/high flow cats, Magnaflow, Jessie James Black Widows 20x9, Nitto Dune Grapplers 37", Fabtech 6" lift, CK Performance XHD 4l70e and 4.56 Gears

Last edited by EuroHummer : 09-03-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

how much do you think you spent on the project so far?

and really? your getting 12 mpg? on a 03 model? damn..

i want to reach the 500 hp mark, but just not sure how much $$$ i want to throw at the stock motor to do it. thats without doing any charger. just straight hp.

i know the tranny will need a rebuild/replaced. i have heard of people swapping the heads and manifold on the LQ4 for L92 heads and manifold and getting 450ish to 500 hp from that alone. about a $1200 investment.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

450-500 with only heads and intake....hmmmmmm. I have the best intake available for the engine, a much lager throttle body, higher lift/duration cam, headers, exhaust, etc. but the stock 317 heads. I don't believe the stock cam will put out 450-500 hp. I would have to see the dyno test on that. If thats the case, then my 408 would be putting out much more than that. I have to get it on a dyno, but have to find one in Germany. I will dig out my receipts and see what it cost.

2003 H2, 408 CI, K1 Forged 4" stroke crank, K1 6.125" forged rods, Wiseco X-Series 0.30 forged pistons, Schneider cam, FAST 102mm LSXRT, precision flow injectors, Comp Pro Magnum rockers, SA Gear DR timing set, ARP main studs, 90mm ETC TB, Airaid MIT, MSD Coils/wires, Dynatech Headers/high flow cats, Magnaflow, Jessie James Black Widows 20x9, Nitto Dune Grapplers 37", Fabtech 6" lift, CK Performance XHD 4l70e and 4.56 Gears

Last edited by EuroHummer : 09-03-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroHummer
450-500 with only heads and intake....hmmmmmm. I have the best intake available for the engine, a much lager throttle body, higher lift/duration cam, headers, exhaust, etc. but the stock 317 heads. I don't believe the stock cam will put out 450-500 hp. I would have to see the dyno test on that. If thats the case, then my 408 would be putting out much more than that. I have to get it on a dyno, but have to find one in Germany. I will dig out my receipts and see what it cost.

sorry i didnt add in that also a decent cam is also required..

there are multiple articles out there for this same exact setup ( Lq4 upgraded with L92 heads, manifold, cam)

the price ranges vary depending on what you replace.. but there are builds for 550 rwhp for about $4.5k
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

Save some cash for a new HP trans and torque converter about $3000.00 . With the added power the trans will need to be upgraded .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-04-2010, 06:18 AM
Hummer Veteran

Yes, that's a fact. I spent 3200 on a built tranny and torque converter for that very reason. I am surprised that my factory trans with shift kit is still alive after my initial road test. If anyone is interested, I found CK transmissions in New York has a great deal on built trannys with a one year warranty. He says I cannot break it unless I baja race the rig. I will see what I can do next year. I was looking at the FLT transmissions, but CK was putting in the same parts for a lot less money. I did a lot of checking and they seem to a very reliable business.

I know I could have put out good power on a budget with the 6.0, as they are well built from factory. From a racing family (stock cars, drag cars, 4x4 pullers, boats, on and on) I am one to spend the money on a bulletproof short block, and then you can swap heads, manifolds, cams etc. all you want for more HP. I look at all the bolt on stuff and sound equipment people spend thousands for, and choose to put that into my engine. When I drove my H2 from Oregon to LA to ship it, the stereo was seldom on anyway, cause me and my brother liked the sound of the engine better.....

Old 09-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Hummer Authority

This is all GREAT information! I'm eager to know what your rig dynos at...

I'm not looking to build the baddest thing on the block...I just wanna feel 'good' when I press that pedal. I don't feel bad now...but I know there's more there. I'd love a Duramax, but I don't want the headache of the whole process. So I'm gonna squeeze my Vortec for a little more umph.

This thread has given me some very valuable info to start educating myself on just how to do that...THANKS!

SIDE NOTE: Where did you get the 408 badge? If I go that route I'm definitely gonna want one of those!
Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

I got the badge from a Ford site of all places. Just googled 408 stroker and the site popped up. Hate to have Ford crap stuck to my truck, but who would know its a Ford item....

If you just want some oomph, you could opt for bolt ons and be done with it. This was a family project, and one of my missions was to get my Dads new shop up and running, which it did. Attracted a lot of attention around the village.

I most likely will not be able to do another build like this, so I decided to do it right. Now my focus is on suspension, making sure its bulletproof for my big trip next year. Dont need a broken tie rod in the mountains of Poland or Romania...