H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Elcova Newbie

SurfQuake is on a distinguished road
Question SUT or SUV?

My first time posting in this forum, i apologize if it's in the wrong thread or something.

Finally getting an H2 but would like inputs on whether to get the SUT or the SUV. I don't think the SUT is out yet for the '08 model though. I have a F150 crew right now but don't really use the bed much, (not that the SUT has much of one) except to haul stuff that I think ??could?? fit in the SUV.

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SUT or SUV?

ok, depends look at the pros and cons. With the SUV you will be able to store much more cargo inside of it. Also with the SUV you get the third row seats as well. So you gotta think if you need a certain one over the other if not get whatever suits your fancy!

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:47 PM
Hummer Professional

pteam is on a distinguished road

The truck bed of the SUT is not really big enough for anything besides tools. IMO its wasted space. Your just really losing interior space.

With an SUV you can put a 3rd row seat back there, or half a third row seat and still have room for subwoofers or storage of those tools or anything.
Supercharged Viper 800 HP Special Edition #49 of 50
Porsche Boxster S

My Hummers:
08 H2, 22 in rims, 6 HID lights, 20 in TV with DVD
4 H2 limos 3 have lighted dance floors + ceilings, 1 has Zebra interior 24-26 passengers
H2 Limo 26 pass lighted dance floor (sold)
H2 Limo 24 pass (sold)
03 H2 (sold)
H1 Open top (sold)

FirstClassLimos.net - H2 limos and party buses in OH & PA

my car collection
Old 09-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an SUV because I've got kids and I like to keep my stuff out of the rain. I didn't want to be swinging the tire out of the way and reaching over the tailgate of the SUT either. If I didn't have so much stuff all the time and SUT would be cool. I'd fill the bed with ice and beer.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

CG07SUT is on a distinguished road

Definitely the SUT. I had an 02 Supercrew, and short of the SUT, it was the best truck that I have owned (I have owned Fords, Chevy's and Dodges 1/2 ton through 3/4 tons, standard cabs, extended cabs and crew cabs). The bed on the SUT is smaller than the Screw, but when the mid-gate is dropped, the SUT's bed is larger. Like posted above, if you need the third row seat, the SUV would be better, but seeing that you curretly have the same setup as the SUT, you will probably miss the bed and its capabilities. I removed the swing-arm tire carrier so that I could use the bed with the tailgate droped if necessary.

Best of luck whichever way you go!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

With SUV you get more int. hauling space for people and much more roof carrying area with SUV. If You need to carry a few tools they make some nice back area locking tool chest that will cover the complete rear area of SUV. I keep a few small trailers to haul stuff with if I needed it. I had the trailers anyway because with my 1/2 ton Silverado I still ended up using trailers and only kept one cross bed tool box behind cab. I wish I had put a bed level hard cover on and a couple of tool boxs over fender wells in rear. Will do this project also when i do a twin turbo on the Silverado to drag race with or convert a 95 to 99 miata to a small block motor preferably Ford 289HP or 302 so i can use a T-10 top loader tranny in it plus go with a much larger rear axle and beef up the front load carrying for the small V8 and that will be my drag racer. Silverado conversion will be done on a more heavily custom setup for car shows and towing duties if needed.

Well you can plan out how to arange your use setup to make the best choice for what you will use the H2 for. Visiting with other local owners there were many who end up trading the SUT in for SUV for more passenger room because they can solve the hauling problems many ways even if hitting a buddy to borrow his truck.

Think it over well as it is allot of outlay and then decide you are not happy and wish you had gone with the SUT instead of SUV or vice versa. There is so much good to be said about both. My plan is to have one of each because my SUV is now a show rig and I will at some point get an SUT (used) and put twin turbo's on it with one of the covers starting to come out for SUT even though they do not increase passenger room. I will lift it some get a 3/4 ton manual tranny and manual select transfer case out of simlar year Silverado and have all the torque and HP I want to tune into. I plan to make it the show SUV trailer pulling rig and daily driver. SUT will about 2 or 3 years out because i got to pay my Dodge dealer buddy for the new 2008 Challenger when he gets it in. He is supposed to be working a deal to get one first because I'm going to take it around state to show off and promote dealership thus justyfing my dealer cost on the rig which we do not know yet what that will be. It makes for more interesting tax deduction uses since all 3 of the rides would be used to promote business. Anyway my CPA has that figured out but, SUT has to wait because with close shows i can tow Challeneger with SUV since it has mucho HP and torgue with the supercharger.

Well just hoping to give you allot to think about by showing my changing needs for how I could use both H2 models and how you should think it through well and not pull trigger to quick and then realize man i did not think about using my H2 for this reason or that.

Good Luck and Welcome to Forum

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Elcova Newbie

Yambor44 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: SUT or SUV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG07SUT
Definitely the SUT. I had an 02 Supercrew, and short of the SUT, it was the best truck that I have owned (I have owned Fords, Chevy's and Dodges 1/2 ton through 3/4 tons, standard cabs, extended cabs and crew cabs). The bed on the SUT is smaller than the Screw, but when the mid-gate is dropped, the SUT's bed is larger. Like posted above, if you need the third row seat, the SUV would be better, but seeing that you curretly have the same setup as the SUT, you will probably miss the bed and its capabilities. I removed the swing-arm tire carrier so that I could use the bed with the tailgate droped if necessary.

Best of luck whichever way you go!

Hello all. This is my first post but I have lurked here since purchasing my first H2SUT about 5 months ago. I decided to post here (hope thats okay) as the only draw back I have with the H2 is the spare tire rack. Everytime I want to hook a trailer to it it is a pain. I have the adjustable receiver hitch so that helps, but sometimes when I swing the arm open to hook to the trailer, the jack handle on the trailer gets in the way after hooking up so when I try and shut the arm, it hits the handle on the trailer. So I have to unhook, pull forward, shut the tire arm, drop the ball/receiver hitch to its lowest point, back up just right as to get the trailer tongue between the spare and the ball (which takes about 5 times in and out of the cab), then raise the trailer up as high as I can against the spare, raise the ball up into it, then secure it.
I looked at getting the kit to remove it, but then what do you do with your spare?

Thanks a lot! Thought it would be okay to post this here as this would be a consideration between an SUT and SUV.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

KingVinnie is on a distinguished road

When I need to pick up some dirt soggy bags of mulch, or any other item you wouldnt want inside with you. I'm glad I got a SUT. Bed fits alot more than a few tools
Old 09-15-2007, 03:52 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44
Hello all. This is my first post but I have lurked here since purchasing my first H2SUT about 5 months ago. I decided to post here (hope thats okay) as the only draw back I have with the H2 is the spare tire rack. Everytime I want to hook a trailer to it it is a pain. I have the adjustable receiver hitch so that helps, but sometimes when I swing the arm open to hook to the trailer, the jack handle on the trailer gets in the way after hooking up so when I try and shut the arm, it hits the handle on the trailer. So I have to unhook, pull forward, shut the tire arm, drop the ball/receiver hitch to its lowest point, back up just right as to get the trailer tongue between the spare and the ball (which takes about 5 times in and out of the cab), then raise the trailer up as high as I can against the spare, raise the ball up into it, then secure it.
I looked at getting the kit to remove it, but then what do you do with your spare?

Thanks a lot! Thought it would be okay to post this here as this would be a consideration between an SUT and SUV.

i have a 6" drop receiver and a 6" extension and it is perfect for hiooking up the boat and jet ski. dont have to oper the tire at all....
Old 09-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Aficionado_VT is on a distinguished road

Both are sweet.

It comes down to your preferance, because in the end, its your truck!

BTW: I see way more SUVs than SUTs.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Hummer Expert

Vettster is on a distinguished road

The SUT is cooler looking.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44
Leave it in the garage.

Search for "Spare Tire Eliminator" and you'll find some other ideas.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agriv8r
i have a 6" drop receiver and a 6" extension and it is perfect for hiooking up the boat and jet ski. dont have to oper the tire at all....

Yep, Yambo44 definitely has the WRONG setup. The drop hitch and extender are the ticket.

With regards to utility, the SUT works better for me. Muddy hunting gear and dead animals don't do well in the interior of a vehicle. And my tonneau cover has been completely water tight for other uses.

Like has already been said, personal use and preference is the determining factor. Very subjective.

-Pete
Old 09-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Elcova Newbie

SurfQuake is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the input!!! Took the Mrs. to go test drive with me today. Can definately tell the difference with the new engine. I think I'll go with the SUV. Kind of came down to how much i actually use a pickup type bed for anything. I think the SUT does look cool but haven't convinced her of that yet... by the way, test drove the Caddy EXT too... wasn't much impressed to be honest with you. The new H2 interior I think is nicer than the EXT's for what it's worth.

...fuel economy is a myth since everyone drives 80 mph anyway...
Old 09-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Hummer Professional

dkhummerh2 is on a distinguished road

I would go for the Suv. I went ahead and bought a stripped down(no options) ford ranger and parked it in my garage. That way I can bounce it around on arends and leave the Hummer for my fun and play. So if you have another company truck or something to use than I would definately go with the suv! The sut is nice, but you will miss the space on vacations etc.
dk
Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhummerh2
I would go for the Suv. I went ahead and bought a stripped down(no options) ford ranger and parked it in my garage. That way I can bounce it around on arends and leave the Hummer for my fun and play. So if you have another company truck or something to use than I would definately go with the suv! The sut is nice, but you will miss the space on vacations etc.
dk

I've got the 08 SUV and my dad has an 06 SUT, would I want an SUT no, but I've also got a pickup and a 12 foot utility trailer if i need to haul stuff. The SUV works wonderful when we travel. Would my dad want and SUV no, he uses his much like he used his avalanche to haul things that are too small for his utility trailer but too large and cruddy to put inside the SUV.

So as people have said, its all about you and what you want, what you will use and how you intend to use it.

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 09-17-2007, 01:54 AM
Hummer Professional

dkhummerh2 is on a distinguished road

True that. Also, if you only haul something a time or two a year. You may think about just renting a truck for things like that.
dk