H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tully is off the scale
Default Would Hummer survive if it was 100% green?

Seriously, could GM take the HUMMER brand (which we all know to be one of the top globally recognized brands) and convert the entire line to 100% hybrids/electric (no options ? all trucks are made that way in the factor) trucks and still survive?

Maybe I'm missing something (clearly there is a significant expense involved), but they?ve got the new Volt platform/engineering(would this work for the HX???) and the hybrid Tahoo(H2), Colorado hybrid (if they could build a Silverado hybrid?why not a Colorado/H3?) and just make 100% of the HUMMER vehicles into ?green machines??sure the cost would be higher?but people already are willing to pay a bit more for the look/brand, so I would say the cost difference would be insignificant?

The public perception about the vehicles would change completely too. EVERYONE knows what a HUMMER looks like?now when they see one they?d have the same mindset as seeing a Prius or Volt or whatever?.efficient and environmentally friendly.

Am I off my rocker?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

o2man98 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would Hummer survive if it was 100% green?

Yes you are!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Hummer Expert

Rico001 is on a distinguished road

Everyone here in one letter or another has stated that the Electric motor cannot get wet and the HUMMER brand has always been known to do some off roading (even if you do not) and going across a water hazzard.

I myself feel great owning one but no way would I spend even more money on a new one if it was GREEN.

You are relating the brand to someting it is not and should not be.
~Richard
Yellow 2003 H2 Luxury ALPHA , 2" lift, Black Helo Maxx8 20 X 10 Rims, Toyo AT Open Country II LT35/12.50/R20 tires, taillight guards and black LE brush guard, KC light bar w/4 Daylights, Recon Smoked roof lights, Sirius/XM Satellite Radio, Kenwood Head Unit , 4 - 6-1/2 inch Polk Audio Speakers, solid billet tailgate handle,HUMMER H2 Ghost lights ib front doors
Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Hummer Expert

RazM is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all, you're implying that the H2 is built on a Tahoe and the H3 is built on a Colorado, both are very innaccurate.

Second, an electric hybrid would require extremely lightweight materials, heavy body work to improve aerodynamics, and the 4WD system would have to be ditched. Even the stock tires wouldn't work because of their size and weight.

Even these points that are mentioned are overly simplifying a difficult process, and we're not at a point where we can take brick shaped vehicles that are supposed to do extreme offroading with large tires and have them be electric hybrids.

Diesels would have been the best option for HUMMER, but who knows what's happening at GM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road

DIESELS should have been an option if not standard from the start.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be interested in seeing the electric Jeep Wrangler and the details on the 4x4 system. I wonder if it will have or need a low range?

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

ehaser is on a distinguished road

Two words...Peak Oil..

Read the theory.. In the end, you might as well just enjoy the Hummer brand while we have it.. If and when the "other factors" such as hyper inflation take the world into a global depression you can throw a .50 cal on top and ride around like mad max!
In all seriousness, we aren't going to stop the eventual downturn in crude production so it's probably better to get the problem over with now. The sad truth is that most people think that the whole commodities problem is over. They will be very wrong. Hyper inflation is going to come back with a vengence with the way our govt is printing money. Just my opinion.. not to step on anyone here. Check out www.goldsilver.com (i'm not affiliated in any way.. Just found it to be informative)..

on another note, the whole flipping off hummers thing has got to stop. Maybe people should learn that kindness is a better approach.. Not to mention that it's not smart to piss off someone who can drive over your car. he he...

Think of the bright side... when all the cars "go" electric we can all worry about cancer.. Pick your evil!

Last edited by ehaser : 12-09-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Hummer Professional

hummeraddict is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaser
Two words...Peak Oil..

Read the theory.. In the end, you might as well just enjoy the Hummer brand while we have it.. If and when the "other factors" such as hyper inflation take the world into a global depression you can throw a .50 cal on top and ride around like mad max!
In all seriousness, we aren't going to stop the eventual downturn in crude production so it's probably better to get the problem over with now. The sad truth is that most people think that the whole commodities problem is over. They will be very wrong. Hyper inflation is going to come back with a vengence with the way our govt is printing money. Just my opinion.. not to step on anyone here. Check out www.goldsilver.com (i'm not affiliated in any way.. Just found it to be informative)..

on another note, the whole flipping off hummers thing has got to stop. Maybe people should learn that kindness is a better approach.. Not to mention that it's not smart to piss off someone who can drive over your car. he he...

Think of the bright side... when all the cars "go" electric we can all worry about cancer.. Pick your evil!
Electricity causes cancer???
Old 12-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

ehaser is on a distinguished road

No... I was being facetious...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Hummer Guru

frenzy1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by splne1
DIESELS should have been an option if not standard from the start.

MY TRUCK : NO !
MY DOG : MAYBE
MY WIFE : YES